Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
www.rockmidgetphotography
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't say enough good things about Factory UTV's service.

They gave me a nice package deal with the A Arms and the full Skid plate and Shipping.

Ordered and shipped on the same day.

Package arrived UPS 4 days later from California to Mississippi.

One box for A Arms, one for skidplate.

We tackled the skidplate first. The installation instructions are pretty weak. I am fairly mechanically minded so I figured it out, but that was the only negative to this point.

Pulled off the stock skidplate...what a pile of junk that is.

We jacked up one end because the jackstands were getting in the way of the new skidplate. We kept the jack back there and put two small jackstands under for safety.

·
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The skid comes pre-bent to go up toward the rocker panels with a slight overlap on the rockers.

The spacers provided are stacked and you secure them on each end to the factory holes and then line up the rear plate first.

Once lined up, you install the center bolts on the skidplate. Repeat with the front plate.

Now, you have all the center bolts in, you can put the outer bolts with washers into all the stock locations.

There is a stock metal band that goes between the stock skids. Install this.

At this point, I tightened it all up. All the long bolts provided are used on the bottom and the short ones are use in the very front and the very back.

·
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Up to now, everything is simple. It all bolts to stock locations and line up great. 100% easy with just a bit of head scratching on the instructions.

So, at this point, you start drilling holes in the rocker panels to tuck the skidplate up against the body.

The tube on the rocker panel is 1" square. You need to jack up the skidplate to get the exact spot to drill.

(12) 3/16" holes have to be drilled straight up. Make sure you have a fresh bit and a good drill.

When I got a hole drilled, I snugged up the stock screw and washer taken from the old skidplate. You are drilling a bare hole and then screwing the stock screws in the 3/16" hole. The Polaris screws are tapered like a self-tapper, so they grab good. They feel a bit short, but they work once you get them going. Highly suggest a 3/8" air ratchet or better, an electric 3/8" impact.

Mine made quick work. The drilling sucked after the first 8 LOL

Once you get them all drilled, you have to drill 4 holes for each small front and small rear skidplate. Again, reuse the old Polaris stuff.

(20) 3/16" holes, so again, have a good bit and ratchet ready.

·
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The A - Arm guards are really stout. My only complaint is that they do not cover the outer CVs at all. The crappy stock plastic CV guard junk can stay in place and will be there for what little they will do to stop a stick or something.

The A Arms on a 4 or S are super long and these things will do a great job protecting them. No doubt worth the effort.

The only problems I had were the rear shock blocks one of the holes that you need to mount the plastic. I could not get the nut in there and was not going to pull the shock.

The 3 bolts I have in there have nylocks on them and it is tight so I left those off.

Overall I give the quality of the skids and guards an A+ for fit and finish.

Instructions I give a B- but I got it.

A Arms have no instructions and in the end, I realized that there is a gas tank skid. I could not get it on there without removing the rear skidplate so I left it off.

If you get this kit, install the fuel tank skid before the belly skid.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Looks good, When I installed mine on my rzr-s I drove the front up on ramps and lifted the rear and set it down on two quad tires. worked great and didnt have a jack in the way.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Lookin' Good!

Might want to reconsider that gas tank guard...I've seen a couple get punctured...not pretty. :)

·
Registered
2,534 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
I was told by the dealer that I should not put on the guards over the A Arms because mud collects in the channel created and wears out the boots quicker than if no covers??What are your thoughts? Or do you not go in the mud?

·
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know what to tell you on the gas tank skid.

If there is a way to do it right, I could not figure it out.

I was able to get one bolt into the frame (stock bolt back in same location)

I was able to get one of the nylocks on from Factory UTV bracket to the skid.

So, I have 2 out of 4 bolts in place :(

I ended up tilting it toward the frame and drilling a hole in the skid and zip tying it to the frame. It will keep it still and hopefully the 2 bolts will stay put.

·
Vendor
2,110 Posts

I ended up tilting it toward the frame and drilling a hole in the skid and zip tying it to the frame. It will keep it still and hopefully the 2 bolts will stay put.
I'll have David give you a call in the morning and see if he can't help you figure it out.

·
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Just got off the phone with David....great service!

Looks like my dumb ass has the Factory UTV bracket on upside down :rollfinger:

I should slow down on occasion and think.

Thanks again for the tips and great service!

·
Vendor
2,110 Posts

Just got off the phone with David....great service!

Looks like my dumb ass has the Factory UTV bracket on upside down :rollfinger:

I should slow down on occasion and think.

Thanks again for the tips and great service!
Thanks for the business!! in the near future we are going to post video installs for all our products on our website.

H

·
0 Posts
Nice.
Skidplate is on my list.
I noticed your garage looks like mine.
Nice..gotta love the "little" Broncos...my uncle used to be big into building those and the ~79 ish models..he still has 1 of each..the little Bronco was pristine the last time I saw it about 10 years ago,probably still hasn't moved out of his garage:rofl3:) He completely restored it,which didn't take too much..think it had about 30,000 original miles...but when he was done it was clean enough to eat off of and pretty much bone stock except for engine work,wheels and tires(38"Swampers) and lift...

BTW where are you from? He lives in Florida...he had a friend named "johnjohn" lol.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts