Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Officially Addicted
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to finish up my s conversion. I bought a set of used fox shocks and the.preload was cranked all of the way down. I took them apart and cleaned everything good now I need to know what is factory preload and compression settings? I want to start at factory baseline before I start adjusting.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My preload was set just to hold the spring but after a while I had no ground clearance. So I cranked them down about an inch. It rides like crap I really need springs bad!

·
Officially Addicted
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This guys rzr must have rode really bad then. It was about 1" from running out of threads. I should gain some ground clearance just from the longer arms. I know the fronts have a takeup spring. That leads me to believe they are setup to be ran with no preload. I guess I will have to get it finished up and on the ground and see where I stand. Have you played with compression any? Anybody tried adjusting nitrogen pressure?

·
Premium Member
2,351 Posts
the stock springs are crap. you should just buy a set of springs before you even put them on the machine.

mine was cranked a pretty good ways down, and the machine still set way low compared to new. i added preload, about every 3-4 rides, just to try and keep the ride height up.

finally bought some springs and it rides like a caddy now, and still has the ground clearance i wanted.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The Factory Recommended Preload Setting for the Fronts are 3.5" (8.9cm) & 5.4" (13.7cm) for the Rears, Measured from the Top of the Spring to the Top of the Threads. The Recommended Adjustment Range is 1" +/- from the Std Setting, but going beyond that is a common practice with Sagging Stock Springs,,,,,which is a BIG Reason that Aftermarket Springs are HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Compression Adjusters are ALL set at 8 Clicks out from Closed.

I recently adjusted the Ride Height on my "S" to give about 3.5" of Suspension drop (without Driver) using the Stock Springs, & only had to Tighten the Adjusters slightly from the STD Setting. I've also loosened the Compression Adjusters a few clicks at both ends, (more on the Rears) & is working very well for the Woods Trail Riding that I do.

Good Luck!

·
Officially Addicted
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have spent about $2000 in the last three months on it. It has to end, or slow down anyway for a little while. Springs will have to wait.

·
Registered
93 Posts
not to hijack the thread, but in general how much are good aftermarket shocks...new to RZR's and im just curious...BamaRzr, dude, plant your money tree :)

You live in AL then I take it...me too....

·
Officially Addicted
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My initial ride around the yard they feel really soft. I tightened the clickers to 10 front 12 rear. I don't have the rear swaybar right now, didn't know the mounting bracket was different than the 50". Setthe shocks with 1/2" more preload than stock and it is sitting at 12 1/2" gc to the bottom of my skids. Not too bad.

·
Desert Rat
2,118 Posts
Bama, preload is a subjective thing. You just adjust them to the ride height or ride you want. Eventually, you'll run out of adjustment or go into coil binding and need new springs. Tons of threads on here about springs and there are several vendors in the vendors list. I run Makin' Trax and swear by them, but others swear by RacerTech or Eibach. Again, personal preference.

·
Officially Addicted
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Compression was too stiff so I went back to factory setting at 7 clicks. I think it could stand just a.little more preload. Overall ride is a hundred times better than with 50" suspension.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts