Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a quad guy that is new to the RZR world. (2012 Voodoo) I have ALWAYS changed out the stock exhaust system - Duncan FatBoy (not just the slip on) on all my machines and realized incredible HP increases. Is this necessary with the RZR 900; I can tell you it is totally necessary in the HondaTRX world because the stocker exhaust is a power thief! Any advice would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
41,099 Posts
The Alba Racing Slip On Muffler is as good as it gets... Yoshi also has a excellent slip on and full exhaust system...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Is the full exhaust worth the $ or is the slip on from Alba or Yosh close enough to not warrant the extra $500-600 for full exhaust/

·
Premium Member
41,099 Posts
Thanks. Is the full exhaust worth the $ or is the slip on from Alba or Yosh close enough to not warrant the extra $500-600 for full exhaust/
There is a full Yoshi exhaust for sale on here right now for $450.00 buy it ASAP... That's a really sweet price...

·
Registered
196 Posts
i do not think anyone has a exhaust that gains HP that is worth spending money on...unless you only want it to sound different...do some reading Polaris did a fine job with the exhaust system on the 900 not much to be had power wise only to your ears.......

·
Registered
948 Posts
i do not think anyone has a exhaust that gains HP that is worth spending money on...unless you only want it to sound different...do some reading Polaris did a fine job with the exhaust system on the 900 not much to be had power wise only to your ears.......
X2

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have the polaris/yosh slipon. Nice deep tone and not to loud until you gas it. If your after HP look elsewhere.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The horsepower gained is hardly worth the added noise, unless you are adament about changing the tone. The dual systems are incrediably annoying - I have talked to several locals who sold their system. Now, if you're going to build a stout motor that needs to breath a little, I suppose then it might be worth it......

·
Banned
904 Posts
Rochetman. I researched this a lot and there is no exhaust out right now that will give you HP gains for that model year RzR. Barkers claims an increase, but has nothing to prove it and no one has a dyno sheet to show. You would be better off doing clutch work or engine work with that $1k IMO...

·
Premium Member
41,099 Posts
Alba Racing the only vendor I know of who spent there own time and money to do the research on mufflers & exhaust systems has dyno sheets (tool to show changes in hp & tq) that show the different mufflers & exhaust system increase or in some instances decrease in hp & tq...

They all make a difference + or -...

A engine will run cooler with a less restrictive exhaust (aka muffler) also don't forget the weight savings by removing the stock muffler... Fact not Fiction...

·
Premium Member
41,099 Posts
Alba Racing the only vendor I know of who spent there own time and money to do the research on mufflers & exhaust systems has dyno sheets...............

I sell! I sell!
No I didn't know it Mark and if you took the time to read the posts like # 2 & #4 you'd see I don't have a political post...

Alba was the first and only vendor I know of who posted the results...

I sell both Alba & Yoshi (OEM Polaris ) too...

·
Banned
904 Posts
Alba Racing the only vendor I know of who spent there own time and money to do the research on mufflers & exhaust systems has dyno sheets...............

baloney..another predictable stupid political post.

Yoshimura had 2 men all over the XP 6 months before your boy did and you know it.
And between the two hmmm.....
I sell! I sell!
No I didn't know it Mark and if you took the time to read the posts like # 2 & #4 you'd see I don't have a political post...

Alba posted there results over a year ago...
Where are those results posted? I was unable to find them and was also talking to Nate and specifically told that its the controller NOT the exhaust that helps on the newer models as there isnt much difference in the exhausts. As for the weight difference, really? If you are drag racing, that may play a factor, but from what the OP stated, not sure that a pound is going to make a difference. I will gladly eat crow if someone wants to show me proof that they increase HP without a controller of some sort, but as yet, no one can.

·
Premium Member
41,099 Posts

Alba posted there results over a year ago...
Where are those results posted? I was unable to find them and was also talking to Nate and specifically told that its the controller NOT the exhaust that helps on the newer models as there isnt much difference in the exhausts. As for the weight difference, really? If you are drag racing, that may play a factor, but from what the OP stated, not sure that a pound is going to make a difference. I will gladly eat crow if someone wants to show me proof that they increase HP without a controller of some sort, but as yet, no one can.
Since you 've already asked Nate I suggest you ask him about his dyno results he posted on the different mfg's mufflers and exhaust...

I wouldn't want to be predictable...

I'd like to see where Yoshi posted there results (date of thread ) on different mfg's mfg's and exhausts too...

·
Premium Member
41,099 Posts
How about your expert opinion on whether or not a free flowing muffler will run cooler than the stock muffler... The weight is a plus too when you can get rid of it ...

·
Banned
904 Posts
How about your expert opinion on whether or not a free flowing muffler will run cooler than the stock muffler... The weight is a plus too when you can get rid of it ...
Not an expert at all, just experienced and I did a lot of research on this particular subject. I agree 100% that a better flowing exhaust helps dissapate the heat, as well as keeping as much mud off of it does, which is what I said in another post. But again, the difference over the stock header (not the 08-10 50", but the other style) is not enough to justify $600+ IMO. The simple fact is that duals/aftermarket exhaust offer no gain in HP, very little difference in weight, and very little difference in heat dissapation on the newer style ehaust. Now, if we were talking about a 2008-2010 50" exhaust were is comes out of the engine almost immediately into a single exhaust, then I would agree that there would be a significant gain. However, I would then argue to do what I just did on my 09 and buy a used newer exhaust and swap them out and save yourself $500+.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Barkers posted results. Looks like a fairly decent gains to me, Barker's has a fairly good reputation, as does Alba I'm sure, would all these dyno results be BS? When combined with fuel controller and intake mods, there's your Commander Sport, I mean... Maverick hp. I'm no expert but a large part of the Can-Am's hp increase is due to a revised air intake and dual exhaust is it not?

http://www.rzrforums.net/rzr-xp-900/53821-rzr-900xp-tim-barker-dual-exhaust-pics-dyno.html

http://www.rzrforums.net/rzr-xp-900/56245-more-tim-barker-rzr-900xp-pipe-dyno-testing.html

·
Banned
904 Posts
Barkers posted results. Looks like a fairly decent gains to me, Barker's has a fairly good reputation, as does Alba I'm sure, would all these dyno results be BS? When combined with fuel controller and intake mods, there's your Commander Sport, I mean... Maverick hp. I'm no expert but a large part of the Can-Am's hp increase is due to a revised air intake and dual exhaust is it not?

http://www.rzrforums.net/rzr-xp-900/53821-rzr-900xp-tim-barker-dual-exhaust-pics-dyno.html

http://www.rzrforums.net/rzr-xp-900/56245-more-tim-barker-rzr-900xp-pipe-dyno-testing.html
Yes they did, but again, you did not read my posts. WITHOUT a controller! In both the threads you linked they specifically state that the gains are with an EFI controller. In the first thread, they say it isnt dialed in yet as they havent had a chance to mess with it. Look 2 posts up from where yours is and read what is quoted and what I said. The OP said nothing about modifying his intake or running a fuel controller. He specifically asked is the exhaust necessary. It is not, as pointed out in another thread to me, Polaris seemed to have gotten it right for the most part finally. If he wants to get the exhaust AND the controller, then yes, he will see some gains in HP. As you stated above, a modified intake, an exhaust, yada, yada, yada is why the other people have gains in HP. Well yeah, so will bolting on a turbo... Again, if someone wants to show me dyno runs with no controller on or any other mods, just an exhaust (and not a picture posted of a dyno sheet) and it shows a HP gain, I will glady say I am a dumass and dont know what I am talking about and appologize. However, I dont think it will happen, and if it does, will the increase in HP be worth $600+ to someone who isnt racing professionally?

·
Banned
904 Posts
Also, in the threads linked, the following quote that shows they did not dyno just the exhaust and the only proof is the manufacturer statement. Do you believe them?

HP break down I believe is 6 on the pipes and 12.63 with the pipes and the EFI controller. This is not testing done by TQS. I am simply passing on manufacturers testing and exposing it to you forum guys.

·
Registered
98 Posts

Yes they did, but again, you did not read my posts. WITHOUT a controller! In both the threads you linked they specifically state that the gains are with an EFI controller. In the first thread, they say it isnt dialed in yet as they havent had a chance to mess with it. Look 2 posts up from where yours is and read what is quoted and what I said. The OP said nothing about modifying his intake or running a fuel controller. He specifically asked is the exhaust necessary. It is not, as pointed out in another thread to me, Polaris seemed to have gotten it right for the most part finally. If he wants to get the exhaust AND the controller, then yes, he will see some gains in HP. As you stated above, a modified intake, an exhaust, yada, yada, yada is why the other people have gains in HP. Well yeah, so will bolting on a turbo... Again, if someone wants to show me dyno runs with no controller on or any other mods, just an exhaust (and not a picture posted of a dyno sheet) and it shows a HP gain, I will glady say I am a dumass and dont know what I am talking about and appologize. However, I dont think it will happen, and if it does, will the increase in HP be worth $600+ to someone who isnt racing professionally?
Easy Trigger.... I just assumed installation of an exhaust system went hand in hand with a revised intake and fuel controller to compensate for the increase in exhausted air. White Knuckle Racing did also mention they gained 7hp with the exhaust only, but obviously, they're lying. So there you go OP, forget it, none of em work. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts