Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

Ethanol Free or not ?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:question:Just curious as to what fuel everyone uses in their rzr. (or any toy) Premium, Mid-grade, or Regular unleaded.:question:

·
King of crash!
31,882 Posts
depends on the toy and mods done to it... unless you have a hoped up eng the rzr needs reg...anything else is a wast... it has been hashed out on here befor but if you dont need detonation preventing prem it is a waste it doesnt all burn and makes a little less hp

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
If you can find ethanol free regular, then use that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
i want to know where you guys are buying ethanol free gasoline?? MOST stuff nowadays has atleast 10% ethanol by volume.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
:question:Just curious as to what fuel everyone uses in their rzr. (or any toy) Premium, Mid-grade, or Regular unleaded.:question:
I try to run Sunoco 93 Super when possible. Worth the drive to fill the machine and keep a tank.

What does the Polaris manual call for? I believe they say to specifically run 87, but can't remember. I believe they say 87 Regular for the 850 engine.

·
I just wanna ride
3,641 Posts
Premium is all I have every put in my RZR S

·
Premium Member
4,381 Posts
The RZR gets premium, the Harley gets premium mostly because it detonates really bad on regular in the summer, the Mustang gets premium with octane booster mostly because a 410 Cleveland stroker with 11.7:1 compression will melt stuff without it. the rest of the vehicles get regular. All of the premium gasolines herebouts have 10% ethanol and in the Fatboy at least, it works really well. The highest rated octane I can find at the pump is 91 here.

·
TURBO'S RULE
1,772 Posts
depends on the toy and mods done to it... unless you have a hoped up eng the rzr needs reg...anything else is a wast... it has been hashed out on here befor but if you dont need detonation preventing prem it is a waste it doesnt all burn and makes a little less hp
While this is 100% true, that you only need the lowest octane required to prevent detonation, a deeper look is needed in a long term real world environment.

With evaporation, the loss of volatile compounds decrease the anti-knock index of the gasoline and the energy content of the gasoline increases.

So for a RZRS with relatively high compression ratio, that may not get used for weeks or months at a time, regular 87octane can degrade to a detonation prone mixture that will shorten engine life. And all destructive detonation is not always audible. Also a bad/old tank of 87 might be in the low mid 80's, a bad/old tank of 91 will be proportionally higher. Just more room for a margin of error, imo.

So in the real world, running premium fuel is relatively cheap insurance policy to getting a bad tank of fuel or a tank that has deteriorated to less than 87 octane. One never knows with pump gas how long the fuel has been stored for before we get it. Also the HP loss is so small from running 87 compared to 91 as to be almost non existent.
I will gladly take that almost non existent loss and slightly more cost to help insure my engines health.

·
Premium Member
4,381 Posts
I use ethanol free regular gas. my experience is 10% ethanol gas gums up after a few months the vehicle is not used.

I have never seen a bottle of gummed up 100 year old whiskey in my life. . . only gummed up drunks!

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
I use ethanol free regular gas. my experience is 10% ethanol gas gums up after a few months the vehicle is not used.

I have never seen a bottle of gummed up 100 year old whiskey in my life. . . only gummed up drunks!

I'm not worried about it gumming up because of the alcohol. My issue is the fact the ethanol has less energy vs regular gas. Thats why when you fill up with E85 you get less MPGs then with standard gas.. So one could assume 10% ethanol would give you worse Fuel economy then 100% gas. Not to mention Ethanol is alcohol.. Alcohol attracts water. A fuel that attracts moisture isn't probably the best choice for a off road toy that spends time in mud and creeks. Also a toy that might get parked for several days if not weeks. This means like mentioned above people might have the same gas sitting in the tank for months.. Mine doesn't have that problem cause I drive it constantly. But I'd still rather have 100% regular gas vs 10% Ethanol..
As far as where to find it.. Some stores still have it.. Most that still sell 100% gas advertise it pretty well. Unlike the ones that have 10% ethanol.. They just place a small sicker on the pump lol. Reason is its nothing to be proud off.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
While this is 100% true, that you only need the lowest octane required to prevent detonation, a deeper look is needed in a long term real world environment.

With evaporation, the loss of volatile compounds decrease the anti-knock index of the gasoline and the energy content of the gasoline increases.

So for a RZRS with relatively high compression ratio, that may not get used for weeks or months at a time, regular 87octane can degrade to a detonation prone mixture that will shorten engine life. And all destructive detonation is not always audible. Also a bad/old tank of 87 might be in the low mid 80's, a bad/old tank of 91 will be proportionally higher. Just more room for a margin of error, imo.

So in the real world, running premium fuel is relatively cheap insurance policy to getting a bad tank of fuel or a tank that has deteriorated to less than 87 octane. One never knows with pump gas how long the fuel has been stored for before we get it. Also the HP loss is so small from running 87 compared to 91 as to be almost non existent.
I will gladly take that almost non existent loss and slightly more cost to help insure my engines health.

DITTO ALLCOOL, you were able to put to words my thoughts-----

1 - 20 of 42 Posts