Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I lawn darted my xp4 pretty good, checked the suspension and steering parts over and over again and all looks good. Problem is ever since I nosed it the power steering won't work. The warning light is on. I checked the relay and it's still good.

Anyone have anything like this happen?

·
Registered
132 Posts
One time with mine, I turned the key on/off 3x's and then started the machine. What ever was wrong was cleared and has never happened again. Good luck.
Jim

·
Registered
408 Posts
We learned the hard way putting on an aftermarket steering wheel on the 900 xp that if you hit the center of the steering wheel to remove it, bam it ruins the power steering and has to be replaced.

Not sure if the 1000 is the same, but if it is, I think a hard enough impact while holding the steering wheel real tight could cause the same failure.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Check the battery and all your power connections. If thats all good the impact probably did her in. Good Luck... That really blows..

TBS

·
Administrator
50,226 Posts
We learned the hard way putting on an aftermarket steering wheel on the 900 xp that if you hit the center of the steering wheel to remove it, bam it ruins the power steering and has to be replaced.

Not sure if the 1000 is the same, but if it is, I think a hard enough impact while holding the steering wheel real tight could cause the same failure.
1000 is the same way .:scared2:

·
Registered
132 Posts

Good to know. Thanks for the heads up. That's the spot where my wife raps her cell phone to make it pick up a signal. I tell her it won't help, but she never listens to me anyway. :rofl3::rofl3:

·
Registered
320 Posts
I put my 1000 through a deep muddy puddle a few weeks ago and blew the EPS fuse under the drivers seat.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there anyway to test the power steering unit to tell if it's bad? Don't want to go out and buy a new one if that's not the issue

·
Registered
320 Posts
First replace the fuse, then undo the electrical harness under the steering wheel and check to see if you have power .

·
Registered
73 Posts
I hit a small ditch, my EPS went out. After reading many posts this morning, I checked my fuse with an ohm meter, it was good, checked for power at the EPS under the dash and there was power, lets me believe the part is bad. If this parts breaks every time you hit a ditch, rock, etc, a very poor design.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I hit a small ditch, my EPS went out. After reading many posts this morning, I checked my fuse with an ohm meter, it was good, checked for power at the EPS under the dash and there was power, lets me believe the part is bad. If this parts breaks every time you hit a ditch, rock, etc, a very poor design.
I hit a ditch in August. I slammed the steering wheel so hard I felt it bend a little. Afterward, my EPS seemed to not be working, though I didn't get any error codes or lights. Further investigation revealed that I simply slammed the steering linkage further down onto the input shaft of the EPS unit. I could see where the splines were dirty, and then about 3/16" of clean splines. I loosened the bolt on the linkage, and it popped back up on the splines, back to where the dirt stopped. So it was applying upward pressure on the input shaft, binding it until I loosened it to let it settle back to the right position, and then tightened it again. All better.

·
Registered
443 Posts
My XPT has a fuse for the EPS. I have blown it several times while rockcrawling.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts