Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

I'm going to buy a new RZR and I'm trying to decide whether to buy the model with EPS or not. I'm envisioning mostly trail riding. Obviously steering would be easier but I'm not sure how hard steering is without it. Also, could be one more thing to break.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for the input.

·
Weekend Warrior!
94 Posts
I just bought a 2011 RZR 4 EPS. I pick it up next week I will let you know what I think.

H

·
0 Posts
Once you ride an EPS machine you won't have anything else...especially for trail riding and rough terrain. It is the poop...anyone who says otherwise has either never driven one or is jealous because the don't have it...or a combo of 1 and 2..
There is only 1 thing in my mind that they did on the 2011 RZR 4 that makes it better than the 2010 I have...EPS...
It isn't just the easier steering..which is NICE..even more so it is the reduction/elimination of kickback..
One more thing to break...well that list is pretty long..one more what is the difference..seriously though if it fails it steers just like an non-EPS machine. No big deal.

·
Registered
710 Posts
We where in some very tight rocky trails at less than 5 mph. I have a standard rzr and my buddy has an EPS machine. I was using both hands turning as hard as I could then I look back and he's cruising with one hand. I was very jealous.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Once you ride an EPS machine you won't have anything else...especially for trail riding and rough terrain.
I agree totally. I'm looking at a LE with EPS right now, but the dealer is a $h*&head. It's nice for sure. Think I'll pass on factory EPS this year and upgrade next. It doesn't seem to be working out and they're hard to find. The aftermarket systems look real nice and very similar to the factory setup. Maybe not quite as clean an install....

·
Registered
633 Posts
I've turned the wheel on an EPS RZR at the dealer before I bought my RZR. It was nice but I just didn't think it was worth the money. If you can't drive the rzr without power steering than your too young to be driving one anyways. LOL. If I had the money that I didn't care what I blew it on sure! I would have gotten it just for the heck of it but one other thing that turned me off it was that I couldn't get it on the black rzr except for after market.

If you have the extra money then go right ahead but if you really can't afford it then don't because you don't need it.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
I've turned the wheel on an EPS RZR at the dealer before I bought my RZR.....
Just, You can't make a decision based on turning the wheel at a dealer. It really helps for crawling and for jarring/jolting impacts on the trails (rocks, roots, stumps, etc). Helps a lot to keep the wheel safely in your hands. Is it necessary....no. Is it a sweet option, yes. I've got EPS on my ATV and it's awesome. Would not own another ATV without it. RZR steering is not the same, but the principle is the same.

My only question is will the wheel self correct itself (snap back to center) when you let go, or will it take the last direction given by the driver. My feeling is that it will not self correct and the driver needs to bring the wheels back to center. This may be something you might need to get used to, but doubt it would take long.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Power steering is the best way to go on any offroad machine hands down. I have driven with and without and there is nothing like tooling thru Rocky terrain and supertight trails with one hand. Manual steering took everything I had to get a full days riding in. With PS I can ride all day and into the night!

·
Registered
33 Posts
The power steering ranger I drove would not return to center it stays where you last turn to. That was the only down side I saw that bugged me and had to get use to.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The power steering ranger I drove would not return to center it stays where you last turn to. That was the only down side I saw that bugged me and had to get use to.
Personally I feel that actually gives you better control of were to point the wheels. Becides with PS returning it to center is really easy.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I've turned the wheel on an EPS RZR at the dealer before I bought my RZR.....
Just, You can't make a decision based on turning the wheel at a dealer. It really helps for crawling and for jarring/jolting impacts on the trails (rocks, roots, stumps, etc). Helps a lot to keep the wheel safely in your hands. Is it necessary....no. Is it a sweet option, yes. I've got EPS on my ATV and it's awesome. Would not own another ATV without it. RZR steering is not the same, but the principle is the same.

My only question is will the wheel self correct itself (snap back to center) when you let go, or will it take the last direction given by the driver. My feeling is that it will not self correct and the driver needs to bring the wheels back to center. This may be something you might need to get used to, but doubt it would take long.
FunRide, I couldn't agree more... Thats why I was up front and honest with my own personel experiences instead of just throwing accusations around for something that I obviously have not owned. I let him know that I only tried moving the wheel on the EPS. But... I didn't make a decision based on that I made the decision based on how easy it was to drive one without EPS and the cost for my budget at the time. It's not like jeeping with no power steering but yes the power steering sure would be nice to have but i'll live without it and put the $1,000 towards better accessories for my driving style.

The best thing to do is try one out on the trail if you know someone who has one and then think if you really need the EPS or not. It's a luxury not a nessesity but who doesn't like luxury. LOL

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
the con = price.

i've never driven one with power steering and i have no desire to. if you dont know what you're missing are you really missing it?

its kind of like a $1500 LCD tv compared to a $4000 LCD LED tv.......if they're not sitting side by side you'll never know the difference.

·
Registered
91 Posts
the con = price.

i've never driven one with power steering and i have no desire to. if you dont know what you're missing are you really missing it?

its kind of like a $1500 LCD tv compared to a $4000 LCD LED tv.......if they're not sitting side by side you'll never know the difference.

" its kind of like a $1500 LCD tv compared to a $4000 LCD LED tv.......if they're not sitting side by side you'll never know the difference.[/QUOTE"

Not in this particular situation. There is a definate difference between PS and MS on any offroad machine. I really would suggest that you drive a RZR with PS.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have never driven one so I cant be a good judge but I can see how it would be very nice. I have ridden the new sportsman with the eps and it is no comparison to the sportsman with non-eps.

H

·
0 Posts
I've turned the wheel on an EPS RZR at the dealer before I bought my RZR. It was nice but I just didn't think it was worth the money. If you can't drive the rzr without power steering than your too young to be driving one anyways. LOL. If I had the money that I didn't care what I blew it on sure! I would have gotten it just for the heck of it but one other thing that turned me off it was that I couldn't get it on the black rzr except for after market.

If you have the extra money then go right ahead but if you really can't afford it then don't because you don't need it.
There isn't many accessories/options that we actually NEED...roof,don't need it,radio...don't need it,windshield....don't need it...winch...well ok I need a winch lol..
For most..it isn't about not being able to drive without EPS...as I mentioned before, on a RZR the kickback reduction is more important to me than the easier steering...easier steering is just a nice bonus...and a steering stabilizer..just isn't the same.

Once you ride an EPS machine you won't have anything else...especially for trail riding and rough terrain.
I agree totally. I'm looking at a LE with EPS right now, but the dealer is a $h*&head. It's nice for sure. Think I'll pass on factory EPS this year and upgrade next. It doesn't seem to be working out and they're hard to find. The aftermarket systems look real nice and very similar to the factory setup. Maybe not quite as clean an install....
Yeah...the Unisteer Electrasteer is high up on my list of wants.

the con = price.

" its kind of like a $1500 LCD tv compared to a $4000 LCD LED tv.......if they're not sitting side by side you'll never know the difference.[/QUOTE"

Not in this particular situation. There is a definate difference between PS and MS on any offroad machine. I really would suggest that you drive a RZR with PS.
Odynuk you beat me too it...
Maybe if all you do is fast trails and dunes you might not notice a huge difference..but rock crawling or slow technical trail riding you most certainly will notice a drastic difference.
If you ride rough terrain I do agree with not driving one with PS unless you are considering getting it, so you won't know what you are missing like you said.

·
Weekend Warrior!
94 Posts
Personally I feel that actually gives you better control of were to point the wheels. Becides with PS returning it to center is really easy.
Why would you want the steering wheel to return to center when you let go of it? When I let go of the steering wheel I want it to stay where I left it!

H

·
0 Posts
Why would you want the steering wheel to return to center when you let go of it? When I let go of the steering wheel I want it to stay where I left it!

Most vehicles with a steering wheel return to center/straight..a non EPS RZR should if the alignment is right. If/how fast it does it varies..alignment,speed ect..at slow speed and sharp turns the non EPS RZR will not re-center quickly..at moderate-high speeds it will.
You turn the wheel to make your turn and let it slide through your hands to center to straighten back out. Same reason some aircraft have Cyclic mag-brakes, CDRB,Collective brakes ect..lessens the work load.
No big deal to me for it to not re-center but I could see how some people could have to get used to it.
I'd have to bet there is SOME re-centering with the EPS maybe just not as much as a non-EPS? Say running at 35 mph and round a curve..no re-centering at all in that situation?? The one I drove I never got above 10 mph in rough terrain so I never even considered whether it would recenter.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Power steering is the best way to go on any offroad machine hands down. I have driven with and without and there is nothing like tooling thru Rocky terrain and supertight trails with one hand. Manual steering took everything I had to get a full days riding in. With PS I can ride all day and into the night!
Just drove my 2011 EPS, hands down the single biggest improvement after suspension upgrade is Power Steering.....period. I never thought "IS IT WORTH IT" VS. "Do You Need It" as "How much are you willing to pay for years of enjoyable and PAINLESS Riding?" Cause when you've driven as many years as I have, what it comes down to is this, " How many Extra-Strength Tylenol is this going to cost me?" AND Now its "KEEP UP IF YOU CAN!" 12 HRS is only Half a Day! :headbang:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts