Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very sad to report that my 2019 grenaded the motor after only 570 miles and 27 hours. As I search for a new motor several reputable builders have mentioned that my situation is not that uncommon. Before all the fanboi's make comments about how it must have been owner error, let me say this machine was dealer serviced ahead on schedule, driven in the correct gear, and never had any other problems. This failure is absolutely related to workmanship and/or processes at the factory.

The connecting rod cap bolts walked out causing the rod caps to fall off. Connecting rod and piston come off the crank on the upstroke and fires the assembly out the back of the block. Has anyone else had/seen this failure? According to the builders it happens frequently.

Did Polaris stand tall to fix the problem? What kind of replacement motor did you go with?

·
Registered
692 Posts
I've seen rod bolt failures multiple times here at my shop,I always switch to Carrillo rods & CP pistons for a mild upgrade

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
Dang, sorry to hear that.
Ours is just the xpt but 19 as well, over 3500 miles and running stronger than ever. No fanboy here to defend Polaris though, I feel they really need to step up quality and quality assurance.
Only my personal feelings but seems to be more Friday at quitting time build mistakes all the time. Really don't see it getting any better as long as they have more customers than they do supply.

Bottom line is their going to give us the product that they can produce as cheap as possible for the most profit. The new exploding clutches are a great example.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've seen rod bolt failures multiple times here at my shop,I always switch to Carrillo rods & CP pistons for a mild upgrade

Do you think the rod cap bolt failure is caused by the bolts stretching, or by the harmonic balancer shearing off and throwing the crank out of balance?

Yes, my motor looks just like this one

·
Registered
2020 Polaris RZR Pro XP aka: The Bomb
543 Posts
Without any evidence, I would assume it is from improper torque on the rod cap bolts.

Engine building is a precise process, and good help is hard to find.

·
Registered
19 rzr xp1000 ride command. 21 turbo s velocity.
72 Posts
An out of balance motor would have most likely broke crank, not loosened rod bolts

·
Premium Member
3,467 Posts
Out of all the Polaris UTV's I have been around for the last 10 years ( a hell of a lot ) I have only ever seen one engine failure. It was on a 2018 XP1K with over 8K miles and minimal maintenance. It started knocking and before it got back to camp it locked up. Unfortunately I never found out what caused the problem.
My point is out of all the Polaris UTV's sold this is VERY low percentage ...IMO

·
Registered
692 Posts
Do you think the rod cap bolt failure is caused by the bolts stretching, or by the harmonic balancer shearing off and throwing the crank out of balance?

Yes, my motor looks just like this one
The material used to make the rods,rod bolts and pistons are fair at best quality

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Out of all the Polaris UTV's I have been around for the last 10 years ( a hell of a lot ) I have only ever seen one engine failure. It was on a 2018 XP1K with over 8K miles and minimal maintenance. It started knocking and before it got back to camp it locked up. Unfortunately I never found out what caused the problem.
My point is out of all the Polaris UTV's sold this is VERY low percentage ...IMO
I agree, it's probably a low percentage of the overall total, but when it happens to you, you kind of expect them to make it right when this low percentage of problems occur. It would seem that a low percentage failure is associated with defective parts or workmanship.

I am not here to bash on Polaris, I really loved my machine before this happened. My research does show that this is a known and recurring problem that Polaris should be taking care of for it's customers.

Thanks for the suggestions for replacement motors. Right now I can't see the point in putting another stock motor with the same issues back into the machine.

·
Premium Member
3,467 Posts
@Noahfecks
I agree Polaris should warranty it and I suspect they will..... have they denied your claim ???? Or are you assuming they wont?

[

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Noahfecks
I agree Polaris should warranty it and I suspect they will..... have they denied your claim ???? Or are you assuming they wont?

[
Dealer was told it's out of warranty and they wont help. The dealer said they escalated and appealed that decision but no response for over two weeks. So i guess I am halfway assuming based on the first outright denial.

Kind of back to my previous comment, even if they do agree to provide a longblock, I feel like I need to have it gone through before it's installed. This whole thing has been such a bad experience, my confidence that the replacement will be any better is broken. I dont want to be 30 miles out with my kids and have a failure again, we just got lucky someone happened by last time and was willing to give us a tow, otherwise my family's safety could have been in real jeopardy.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Man. That sucks. Sorry to hear this. I bought a 4.5 year Riders Advantage warranty for $1450. I’m about two years in and the repair bills covered under warranty are already at $2500. I highly recommend that people buy one, especially if you use the machine for what it was intended and put a lot of hours on it. And from what I can tell, RA covers more than Polaris. I know this doesn’t help you situation, but just sharing my experience. And I’ve never been a big warranty guy. But same story with my pickup. Spent $2200 and they’ve already done about $6500 worth. 2 years left in that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 rzr xp1000 ride command. 21 turbo s velocity.
72 Posts
I bought an extended warranty on both of my machines. I think its money well spent for the use they get.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My son had the exact same problem on his 2018 4 seater. Diagnosis was the oil pump quit and boom. Had less than 1000 miles

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have seen both good and bad come from the factory working at the shop. Im amazed at the blatant stupidity of engineers on some things. I saw 1 comment about where things are made.....Well ProStar engines are American made but I think it comes down to a situation of "made on Monday/Friday" type of thing. I have seen very few issues that you had here, but have heard of them. I personally have a 19 xp4t and have increased performance add-ons. Before I go further, I am going to install head studs, mostly for added security. I have only had 1 issue dealing with Polaris myself. The yoke on my from driveshaft attaching to the pinion was physically not welded in true so the drive shaft had runout and vibration. I had felt it from day 1 but being new to ownership at the time i though it was something else. Had about 250mi on it when I decided to check it out myself and found the issue. Took me close to 90 days just to get the dealership to respond to me at which point i had driven it another 100mi. After 3 weeks I got it back from the dealer. The service mgr was even irritated at what Polaris told them. He showed me the email they sent him...."Since its got such low mileage, well will change it out of customer courtesy".....mind you it was now 4 months old and still under warranty. I had purchased an extended warranty but cancelled it and was refunded. I figured that if they are pulling this crap on me that I was better off doing repairs myself. I replaced the entire driveshaft with an upgraded unit and have never had an issue since.
Thats my experience, and not quite like yours but i would hold my ground and possibly find some legal help to back you up. Definitely has me thinking twice now about my internals :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well it's official, Polaris has decided not to do anything to help me out. Good thing I have been such a loyal customer all my life.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts