Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I have googled a bit and seen that 7' wide trailers are very common in the enclosed trailer group, but just wanted to see if anyone that has had both can tell me if going 8.5 is really needed?? I just purchased a 2019 RS1 and since its a single seater, the cab is much narrower, so there is actual space between the side of the cab and the outside edge of the tires.. so i would assume its easier to get in and out of compared to a typical 2/4 seater rzr or ranger.

I am planning on buying the trailer as small as possible length wise, since being a single seater i see no real reason to pack a ton of stuff in the trailer like families do with 2/4 seater bikes. So im juggling between 10 ft and 12 ft length, but leaning towards 10ft

I measure my bike at 9'3 from tire to tire edges. A 10ft trailer based on measuring one local seems to always be 3 inches short of their advertised length on the straight portions and gain up to 2ft in the V nose area.

Example 7x10 enclosed i measured it out to 9'9 from ramp edge to the bend in the trailer, but when i marked the width of my bike from tire edge to tire edge it was 63" and if the bike was centered in the trailer would give almost 10'4" due to the wheel width falling in the transition of the V nose extra length.

Anyways, there is a major trailer manufacture in GA about 4 hours from me, that sells to the public and these are some of the prices i was quoted if i come up and pick it up at their manufacture site.

I can get the following deals...
6x10TA $2099 + $120 = $2219 for 6" extra height on both ramp door to 78" and ceiling to 84"
7x10TA $2399 + $120 = $2519 for 6" extra height on both ramp door to 78" and ceiling to 84"
7x12TA $2999 + $144 = $3143 for 6" extra height on both ramp door to 78" and ceiling to 84"
8.5x12TA $3299 + $144 = $3443 for 6" extra height on both ramp door to 78" and ceiling to 84"

Currently im leaning towards the 7x10TA and instead of +6" height, pay $180 extra for the +12" option to get 84" ramp door and 92" ceiling for a price of $2,579. They did tell me if i paid in cash or certified bank check, they would take 3% off the price total also... so that would make it $2,502....

·
Registered
5 Posts
While the machine is less than 10’ long you will not be able to adjust weight distribution with machine position.
At 10’ parked nose forward you will be light on the tongue. Parked backward the tongue weight will be fairly heavy which might be ok if you have a heavy duty tow vehicle.
I’d love to have a enclosed trailer but I’d look at 16’+ and build a basic bathroom in the forward space.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually was thinking of that while looking at them.. I was thinking most of the bikes weight would just fall over the tandem axles no matter which way i go.. There is only a few inches of difference in the rear section between the rear wheel and the end of the trailer between the 10ft model up to the 16ft model. It was only after the 16ft models that the section behind the axles started growing really on the trailer sizes.

Example...
The 7x10 had 12 inches behind the rear wheel
The 7x12 had 16 inches behind the rear wheel
The 7x14 had 20 inches behind the rear wheel
The 8.5x10 had 12 inches behind the rear wheel
The 8.5x12 had 16 inches behind the rear wheel
The 8.5x14 had 20 inches behind the rear wheel

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’d look at 16’+ and build a basic bathroom in the forward space.
Id love to do that.. but im limited on space i can park this trailer at my house, otherwise id have to pay somewhere to park a larger trailer. Its the main reason im looking at the shorter models.. If it was my way id just go with the 20ft models, because i can find them used all day long for like half the price. I reached out to couple storage places to see the rates on storing a 20ft trailer and they wanted $150+/month... so thats out of the picture.. just not worth going larger over that alone.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If your parking/storage is your only limitation I would get one as big as you can fit. I read a lot of peeps are always upgrading size just to have more room for whatever.
my motto= too much is never enough , lol

·
Wolfhound
176 Posts
I actually was thinking of that while looking at them.. I was thinking most of the bikes weight would just fall over the tandem axles no matter which way i go.. There is only a few inches of difference in the rear section between the rear wheel and the end of the trailer between the 10ft model up to the 16ft model. It was only after the 16ft models that the section behind the axles started growing really on the trailer sizes.

Example...
The 7x10 had 12 inches behind the rear wheel
The 7x12 had 16 inches behind the rear wheel
The 7x14 had 20 inches behind the rear wheel
The 8.5x10 had 12 inches behind the rear wheel
The 8.5x12 had 16 inches behind the rear wheel
The 8.5x14 had 20 inches behind the rear wheel

View attachment 658222

View attachment 658224
What kind of bike do you have?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Width:

7' will get it done, although it's tight getting in and out of the doors. If buying new think about having one built with the side door on the drivers side of the trailer...

If you tow long distances that's the preferable width, but from a storage perspective the wheel width, and hence the storage space required, is the same on 7' wide as on 8' or 8.5"

Length:
I agree, 10' will place in a box tongue weight wise. 12' should solve that, 14' will however, While I love tandem axle, a 7x12 V-nose single axle with a 3500 torsion axle with brakes might be an interesting option. Move the door, get a spare tire, upgrade to torsion axles, and you're G2G. in my experience sIngle axle is easier to get tongue weight where I want it, while tandem is more tolerant, but less easy to influence, so it usually takes a longer trailer to get right. Net: 12' single axle will be long balance as you need it, tandem may indeed need 14'.

Height:
You should plan on 6'6" of trailer, not the standard 6', for you need 74" of headroom, and I'd suggest 75" is the minimum. That would likely allow you to get 32" tires on it if you wanted. Barely, depending on air pressure.

btw, are those stock tires on it now?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you tow long distances that's the preferable width, but from a storage perspective the wheel width, and hence the storage space required, is the same on 7' wide as on 8' or 8.5"
The place we ride the most as a group is a little over an hour away, but most places we go to on occasions are 2-4 hours away, but we usually turn it into a camping trip and camp the entire weekend riding.... So i plan on double using the enclosed trailer as a place to sleep. I liked the idea someone else mentioned, they use portable A/C in their trailer and cut a hole in the floor to allow them to run the exhaust out the bottom of the trailer instead of cutting holes in the trailer walls or ceiling.

btw, are those stock tires on it now?
No They are 32" Terminators. They came on the bike when i bought it from the prior owner.

a 7x12 V-nose single axle with a 3500 torsion axle with brakes might be an interesting option.
I will never own another single axle RV or enclosed trailer. Years ago i bought a small toy hauler single axle trailer to tow my ATV around and blew a tire on the interstate and it bounced side to side so violently that it jerked my truck nearly off the road and the trailer flipped on its side and ripped the trailer coupling off the ball. Was one of the scariest moments in my life.....

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Go at least 12'. You don't realize how much you'll be using that extra 2' of space.

I use a 7x12 open trailer or my '18 xpt, but just picked up a 2015 Homesteader Patriot 8.5 x 20 x 7, full length awning, superwinch mounted on the floor in the V-nose with a sealed optma battery and external charging port for $4500.

I bought the bigger trailer to store the RZR in during the winter at my house while i live in my garage during my seasonal layoff. I also roadrace motorcycles (have a 7x16 enclosed trailer for those) and travel a lot. But i want to take motorcycle/rzr trips alll in one. I can fit 3 bikes in front of the trailer and the rzr behind..

I know you're limited on space, but go as big as you can.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Wow. Scary story. We've lost a few tires our trips (9 hours one way, usually 4 trailers), but all pretty sedate. Glad you're ok. As I've said, tandems are harder to get more tongue weight on (the fulcrum point is farther ahead) so do think 14', or maybe put some storage up on the tongue.

Do keep the "move the door to the drivers side" in mind. Certainly not my idea first, but it's a heck of a good idea.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
347 Posts
We loaded 2020 RS1 in 7x14 forward and it tows great. Trailer ramp door is barely wide enough to get it in. With stock wheels it has about 1.75 clearance on each side. Height can also be an issue. Can strap suspension down to get into the door, but that will also make it wider as suspension drops. The stock RS1 with no bumpers or mods fits in 7X14 with room for some gear and totes at the rear. I'm sure stock RS1 would fit most 7x12 V nose trailers. However, with wider and taller wheels and bumpers you will struggle with it. The only way to be sure is take the RS1 to the trailer store and using a spotter drive it in carefully. I think you will be surprised how close it is getting it in the door. Nice when pulled in and door opens to left side of trailer and trailer door is in that spot for easy entry/exit :)

Nice rig! However, it not a bike. Not even close :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We loaded 2020 RS1 in 7x14 forward and it tows great. Trailer ramp door is barely wide enough to get it in. With stock wheels it has about 1.75 clearance on each side. Height can also be an issue. Can strap suspension down to get into the door, but that will also make it wider as suspension drops. The stock RS1 with no bumpers or mods fits in 7X14 with room for some gear and totes at the rear. I'm sure stock RS1 would fit most 7x12 V nose trailers. However, with wider and taller wheels and bumpers you will struggle with it. The only way to be sure is take the RS1 to the trailer store and using a spotter drive it in carefully. I think you will be surprised how close it is getting it in the door. Nice when pulled in and door opens to left side of trailer and trailer door is in that spot for easy entry/exit :)

Nice rig! However, it not a bike. Not even close :)
I will call the trailer place to ask them nicely if they would allow me to test that out. I hauled it home on a 7x12 open utility trailer my friend let me barrow now that i think about it and it was very tight... Hmmmm, i mean it wasn't hard loading and unloading it, but i was paying super close attention to the wheels as they are 32x10x14's....

Would like to know who makes that front windshield. Need one of those with wiper for sure!
It has UTVZILLA etched into the frame.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts