Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased this EMP product, as one of my riding friends recommended EMP highly. My former spare tire carrier held my 50-pound spare tire & wheel up near the roof, on the driver's side. This pushed the center of gravity WAY too high and off-center, especially for my riding style (steep mountains, steep side-hills, etc).

EMP's carrier holds the tire much lower and centered.

The good -
  • Nice and secure frame-mount
  • Relatively easy to install
  • Nice welds and beautiful powder-coated finish

The bad -
  • Tire sticks out too far, even for my oversized aftermarket tires/wheels
  • Tire is mounted too low (at 18" AGL), would 'catch' on descending / ascending V-stream beds
  • Mounting bolts (carrier-to-frame brackets) are too short
  • Frame bracket U-bolts are pinched together, would not slip over tubular frame
  • Wheel studs and nuts are too small for this SxS model

So, I spent an additional ~$250 extra modifying this product. I paid a welding shop to remove ~4" from the wheel holder, and re-mount it at 24" high. I was able to 'expand' the U-bolts without destroying the threads. I re-painted the carrier (could not afford powder-coat repair). I purchased longer grade-5 mounting bolts. And I purchased a smaller size deep socket to carry in my toolbox, just to undo the spare from the carrier.

I am very disappointed having paid ~$450, plus wasted time & fuel to purchase, and then have to modify, this EMP product! Very nice concept ... but very poor execution!

Top photo = before mods Bottom photo = after mods)

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

·
The Lone Rzr
3,868 Posts
EMP can pound sand
Worst customer service and the product they send out is not what they described

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey 185EZ -
Yes, I forgot to mention EMP's complete lack of Customer Service. I emailed EMP originally, asking if their product would fit my RZR (a XC model), a young lady who responded stated "she didn't know". So, I purchased from a different company (Side-By-Side Stuff), who affirmed it would fit. Then, I emailed EMP after initial installation regarding their product's faults, and never received a reply! Totally unacceptable for an American company (or maybe EMP is Chinese-sourced?).

Goshe -
Good point. It can't be healthy to pinch the plastic bodywork between two steel clamps? If stress cracks do begin to develop in the plastic, I will cut out that portion of plastic between the metal brackets, and remount as metal-to-metal. Thanks for that heads-up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts