Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Guys,

I ride in Quartzsite AZ. and for those that have never heard of the place it is on I-10 18 miles out of Calif into Az on the way to Phoenix. We are blessed with pretty good cell coverage and we all use Rugged Radios. Well a dreadful day was had this past season in March 2019. Four cars, my neighbor next door and the other across the street, plus two other friends cars were from our RV Park were making this run, I had decided take pass that and did not go. They were taking a run through northern Yuma Proving grounds down to Martinez Lake which is legal as long as you stay on the dirt roads as there can be unexploded ordinance in the desert off road. Car number two came around the corner and with the dust didn’t see that the road curved more to the right than he expected and he slid and hit the 12 inch dirt berm left by the road crew on this dirt road. He sideways rolled approximately three times, unfortunately his arm got out above the door and got mangled. The cell phones didn’t work in this area nor did the rugged radios pick anybody up for help. While two men attended the injured driver the other driver had to go a mile to the Colorado rivers edge to be able to get a cell signal to call for help. Now guys this is where it gets real import, they gave the 911 operator latitude longitude from their GPS tablets and she could not make heads or tails and locate them. As she looked on the map she would say.... why you’re here or you’re there right? and they would say no we’re not in that area. It was from there the rivers edge they notified me to bring the trailer for the wrecked car. We all 10 drivers carry a laminated card with all the guys that know the desert and have a trailer and side by side if needed for emergencies. Back to the injured driver, both bones were broken in his arm and we’re exposed and he was bleeding pretty bad. On one of the other drives trips back out to talk to 911 they had refused to send a helicopter until an ambulance got there to evaluate the situation. Gentlemen we are talking 2 hours this driver is laying on the ground bleeding and an all beat up. Finally an old beat up ambulance crossing the desert and almost getting stuck twice per the driver to my ears going through the washes to get there took a look at our downed driver to then called in the helicopter. I know this is a long story but it begs to make a few points. You may not be able to be found where you’re at by 911 and need to be prepared for the worst like this occasion was. I know drivers that use spot as a mentioned above but when your life is on the line that might not be totally sufficient. Also mentioned above was the terrific cost of a sat phone. Three years ago I looked into it and it was like $1500 for the phone and approximately three to $400 for the minutes which were 15 by the way and if you didn’t use them by years end of they dropped off and you had to buy the new 15 minute minimum package. I asked the SAT phone company what if I was speaking back-and-forth to 911 runs over the 15 minutes can leave a credit card on file and let me take whatever time I need and put it against my card, the reply was no. So here you are with your SAT phone and you run out of your 15 minutes and until you can call them back and go through a long ordeal to buy more minutes you’re screwed. There is no perfect scenario guys I’m just offering this experience that I was a part of to perhaps be food for thought.

Lastly, most of us now use Motion X GPS program on mini iPads exclusively, no workie on Android type products. The beauty of this GPS program is that buy the model that works of cell towers rather than just at home on your Wi-Fi. You can set up a schedule for it to show your location on a map that another family member can see your movements through the course of the day where you’re at. You can also send emails back home every 15 minutes every 30 minutes or X amount of miles it’s pretty versatile. That way if something happened at least the last email that (when you were in cell coverage) got sent would give a close idea where your at. if you’re just looking for the GPS trace that works off satellite and while I’m at home I can be on motion to ask and put in their code number and see where they’re at. However that day nobody chose to run with their Motion X. Check it out. We also use Avenza because it has a lot of the BLM trails indicated a little better where the motion X is great for breadcrumb and being able to have my wife watch me while I’m out on the trail.

PS: our local police department and fire department both went on some type of trunked simplex or whatever you call it and everyone in town that used to monitor those frequencies no longer like mentioned above.

Ride Safe Brothers

JP

·
Premium Member
1,195 Posts
Very Good advice ....I use most of the same systems you mentioned ...but the ultimate answer may be the Garmin In reach...dont know of any other option

I hope all fared well

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks Max,

Our friend and driver Ralph is faring out well. His XP1000 was repaired and he will be back when we all gather again in October 19.

I will look up the Garmin Reach and get better informed on it.

Cheers

·
Registered
558 Posts
We bought a used(rental) Iridium sat phone from the sat phone store for $700 I think and the plan is $270 for 200 minutes for a 6 month period. I’m in Alaska, I cannot imagine another state being more expensive than this one.

A 15 minute plan for $400 doesn’t add up.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hey Guys,

I ride in Quartzsite AZ. and for those that have never heard of the place it is on I-10 18 miles out of Calif into Az on the way to Phoenix. We are blessed with pretty good cell coverage and we all use Rugged Radios. Well a dreadful day was had this past season in March 2019. Four cars, my neighbor next door and the other across the street, plus two other friends cars were from our RV Park were making this run, I had decided take pass that and did not go. They were taking a run through northern Yuma Proving grounds down to Martinez Lake which is legal as long as you stay on the dirt roads as there can be unexploded ordinance in the desert off road. Car number two came around the corner and with the dust didn’t see that the road curved more to the right than he expected and he slid and hit the 12 inch dirt berm left by the road crew on this dirt road. He sideways rolled approximately three times, unfortunately his arm got out above the door and got mangled. The cell phones didn’t work in this area nor did the rugged radios pick anybody up for help. While two men attended the injured driver the other driver had to go a mile to the Colorado rivers edge to be able to get a cell signal to call for help. Now guys this is where it gets real import, they gave the 911 operator latitude longitude from their GPS tablets and she could not make heads or tails and locate them. As she looked on the map she would say.... why you’re here or you’re there right? and they would say no we’re not in that area. It was from there the rivers edge they notified me to bring the trailer for the wrecked car. We all 10 drivers carry a laminated card with all the guys that know the desert and have a trailer and side by side if needed for emergencies. Back to the injured driver, both bones were broken in his arm and we’re exposed and he was bleeding pretty bad. On one of the other drives trips back out to talk to 911 they had refused to send a helicopter until an ambulance got there to evaluate the situation. Gentlemen we are talking 2 hours this driver is laying on the ground bleeding and an all beat up. Finally an old beat up ambulance crossing the desert and almost getting stuck twice per the driver to my ears going through the washes to get there took a look at our downed driver to then called in the helicopter. I know this is a long story but it begs to make a few points. You may not be able to be found where you’re at by 911 and need to be prepared for the worst like this occasion was. I know drivers that use spot as a mentioned above but when your life is on the line that might not be totally sufficient. Also mentioned above was the terrific cost of a sat phone. Three years ago I looked into it and it was like $1500 for the phone and approximately three to $400 for the minutes which were 15 by the way and if you didn’t use them by years end of they dropped off and you had to buy the new 15 minute minimum package. I asked the SAT phone company what if I was speaking back-and-forth to 911 runs over the 15 minutes can leave a credit card on file and let me take whatever time I need and put it against my card, the reply was no. So here you are with your SAT phone and you run out of your 15 minutes and until you can call them back and go through a long ordeal to buy more minutes you’re screwed. There is no perfect scenario guys I’m just offering this experience that I was a part of to perhaps be food for thought.

Lastly, most of us now use Motion X GPS program on mini iPads exclusively, no workie on Android type products. The beauty of this GPS program is that buy the model that works of cell towers rather than just at home on your Wi-Fi. You can set up a schedule for it to show your location on a map that another family member can see your movements through the course of the day where you’re at. You can also send emails back home every 15 minutes every 30 minutes or X amount of miles it’s pretty versatile. That way if something happened at least the last email that (when you were in cell coverage) got sent would give a close idea where your at. if you’re just looking for the GPS trace that works off satellite and while I’m at home I can be on motion to ask and put in their code number and see where they’re at. However that day nobody chose to run with their Motion X. Check it out. We also use Avenza because it has a lot of the BLM trails indicated a little better where the motion X is great for breadcrumb and being able to have my wife watch me while I’m out on the trail.

PS: our local police department and fire department both went on some type of trunked simplex or whatever you call it and everyone in town that used to monitor those frequencies no longer like mentioned above.

Ride Safe Brothers

JP
I see no advantage to the Motion X as far as an emergency goes. For one you gotta have cell service. Most places I ride don't have it. The Inreach SE from Garmin lets you send a text message to whoever you need to- local sheriff, friend, etc that message also contains your exact GPS coordinates. The Inreach also has a SOS feature where if you press it a global 24/7 monitoring service is reached.
One day I will probably have a sat phone but for now the Inreach fits my needs

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'd say it definitely depends on the location you're using it. In the areas I mostly ride, we end up in a lot of canyons/washes/hilly areas where you'd be lucky to hit somebody 1/4 mile away using simplex on a mobile ham rig, and would be extremely lucky to be able to hit a repeater. And even if you did, most of our ham repeaters are very lightly used and there may or may not even be anybody listening. And most of our emergency services are now using digital/trunked systems which you can't program into a ham radio.

I'm a huge fan of the Rugged/PCI type radios for communication within a group while riding, but IMO ham radio would be one of the worst possible choices to depend upon in a true emergency (at least in the areas where I ride). I'd have better luck with a cell phone. The ARRL and ham operators love to play up ham radio as the "When All Else Fails" mode of emergency communication, but I wouldn't count on it for my life, or the lives of the people riding with me. Satellite-based services such as SPOT/InReach, etc. are a far more reliable alternative.

This is a really great point. I guess I made the poor assumption that while primary communications may take place on a trunked system, EMS and LE would still be monitoring analog FM systems. But maybe not?

As for cell phones, basically everywhere we ride we do not have service, so that's out. I may look into some satellite based options.
A lot are now digital so not sure if i would depend upon being able to talk to any of them. As far as ham radio goes, I have been a ham for years and own a repeater that does get a lot of traffic. Unfortunately most hams now are only interested in storm spotting and don't even monitor at other times. I quit monitoring in my truck on 146.520 because hardly no one on the road uses it any more.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Guys,

Ride Safe Brothers

JP
I see no advantage to the Motion X as far as an emergency goes. For one you gotta have cell service. Most places I ride don't have it. The Inreach SE from Garmin lets you send a text message to whoever you need to- local sheriff, friend, etc that message also contains your exact GPS coordinates. The Inreach also has a SOS feature where if you press it a global 24/7 monitoring service is reached.
Little Boss, I can’t argue with you, Motion X is not the best solution. But because it is GPS tied it can send the signal of your location home to my wife logged in the Motion X to see my location all. YES to send the constant emails and update there has to be cellular connectivity. I liked up the Garmin and In May ways it’s great accept for the monthly billing for that wonderful ability to send texts back and fourth. I read the review and most we pleased but some were not like anything. Bottom line, you cannot beat a SAT Phone. It the annual price is steep, please attachment. My last thought, we all buy cars from $22k to $30k so in the scheme of things I SAT phone is really not that much considering the overall investment of the car and a trailer or a toy hauler etc.
Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions on the Garmin.

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hey Guys,

Ride Safe Brothers

JP
Little Boss, I can’t argue with you, Motion X is not the best solution. But because it is GPS tied it can send the signal of your location home to my wife logged in the Motion X to see my location all. YES to send the constant emails and update there has to be cellular connectivity. I liked up the Garmin and In May ways it’s great accept for the monthly billing for that wonderful ability to send texts back and fourth. I read the review and most we pleased but some were not like anything. Bottom line, you cannot beat a SAT Phone. It the annual price is steep, please attachment. My last thought, we all buy cars from $22k to $30k so in the scheme of things I SAT phone is really not that much considering the overall investment of the car and a trailer or a toy hauler etc.
Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions on the Garmin.
FYI, the Inreach also lets your family and friends track you but since it's via satellite you have reception 99% of the time. The best I remember it puts your location on the map every 10 minutes. Costs about $35 month for that plan.

I agree on the sat phone, absolutely the best choice and I will have one some day

·
Registered
410 Posts
A lot are now digital so not sure if i would depend upon being able to talk to any of them. As far as ham radio goes, I have been a ham for years and own a repeater that does get a lot of traffic. Unfortunately most hams now are only interested in storm spotting and don't even monitor at other times. I quit monitoring in my truck on 146.520 because hardly no one on the road uses it any more.
Around here, a lot of the old hams are strictly on HF and ridicule 2m/440 and repeaters as child's toys. Ham radio around here is basically a dick measuring contest to see who can put up the biggest antenna and run the most power. There are several decent local repeaters, including a couple which are interlinked, but they sit idle all day other than the occasional kerchunk/repeater ID. I wouldn't even count on it as a reliable way to just find somebody to talk to, let alone trust it as a way to summon help if I was out in the middle of nowhere with somebody seriously injured.

Ham operators aren't trained as emergency dispatchers. You might get ahold of somebody who's competent enough to reliably record the essential information and quickly/correctly relay it to the proper authorities - or you might get ahold of some old guy who's just hanging around looking for a ragchew and doesn't have the faintest idea about what he should do to help your situation. He might end up ordering a pizza delivery to the local car dealership rather than relaying your emergency to the local EMS communications center in any useful manner. And even in the best case scenario, it's never going to be as expeditious as pushing the 'SOS' button on something like a SPOT/InReach, where it's going directly to a monitoring center staffed with trained personnel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Around here, a lot of the old hams are strictly on HF and ridicule 2m/440 and repeaters as child's toys. Ham radio around here is basically a dick measuring contest to see who can put up the biggest antenna and run the most power. There are several decent local repeaters, including a couple which are interlinked, but they sit idle all day other than the occasional kerchunk/repeater ID. I wouldn't even count on it as a reliable way to just find somebody to talk to, let alone trust it as a way to summon help if I was out in the middle of nowhere with somebody seriously injured.

Ham operators aren't trained as emergency dispatchers. You might get ahold of somebody who's competent enough to reliably record the essential information and quickly/correctly relay it to the proper authorities - or you might get ahold of some old guy who's just hanging around looking for a ragchew and doesn't have the faintest idea about what he should do to help your situation. He might end up ordering a pizza delivery to the local car dealership rather than relaying your emergency to the local EMS communications center in any useful manner. And even in the best case scenario, it's never going to be as expeditious as pushing the 'SOS' button on something like a SPOT/InReach, where it's going directly to a monitoring center staffed with trained personnel.
I am still looking at SAT phones. The $1000 to $1500 doesn’t bother me to be honest. It’s the minutes and these SUCK you in contracts! I am just looking for a brick and mortar SAT store that I can go in to touch and feel and talk to a human being as opposed to ordering all of the stuff online. I have not had much luck in the Los Angeles California area but I’m still looking. I’m sure you saw the rate schedule that I published up a couple of posts ago and I wouldn’t mind even paying it every month all year here in California is good for earthquake safety as well but it is another expense and I would like to keep it trimmed and have one in the car with that huge extra tacked on fees. And I am with you on the Hammers, they are a great bunch of men and women that really can stand out in a emergency, fire flood earthquake tornado etc. but to rescue you broke down out in the hills or desert “seem slim to me” I’m kind of with you..... nobody sitting there on standby.

·
Registered
504 Posts
We ended up purchasing a Garman InReach after looking at the Spot and researching the various options available.
That's what I use except mine is Delorme branded. Guess I got it before Garmin bought them.

But for everyone who hopes to never use it, I use mine quite frequently. I like to go on "guy" rides with some buddies and my wife doesn't like these rides so she stays home. At first I tried to give her good times when I would be back, but we always seemed to miss these times.

So I use it to send her text messages thought the day that say simple things like "still riding", "headed back to truck" or similar. She also gets a GPS position so she can follow me. Makes her feel more comfortable and allows me to go on these rides more often. Because there was one time when I told her I would be back at 7pm. We finally got the broken machine out of the woods at 1am, but she knew what was up the entire time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I feel like this may depend on what area you are traveling to. For less than $100 you can get a reliable portable HAM radio setup. This requires no subscription obviously, but you can contact emergency services and speak directly to a person. For example, if you are traveling to WV to ride Hatfield, just look up the frequencies used by the local emergency services and pre-program them into the radio. If an emergency should arise, you have now cut out the middle man and are communicating directly with the people coming to help you. Just my 2cents.

Agreed ...not to mention communication with others in your group real time. I have a 60 watt VHF/ UHF radio and it is one of the best additions I made. If you get the $20 dollar HAM license and take the test you can then use some repeaters and your range is almost endless. I also use mine for listening to other emergency personnel talking about situations near me .
Likewise, I got my Ham license and I program all the repeaters and I have the FRS and GMRS channels programmed which most riders use. I have never had a problem reaching the repeaters with 25 watts.
Great piece of mind.

Mike

21 - 33 of 33 Posts