Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my fellow offroad enthusiasts. I have recently been bitten by this RZR bug, and now have the fever. I have been riding dirt bikes my whole life and though I have always loved that hobby to the fullest extent possible, after 30 years I think I want to try something...different.

I love the idea of the RZR-S, with the long travel suspension. I think the performance of this machine would suit my aggressive riding style. You see, I don't want a SxS to be happy going slow or splashing through mud puddles. I want speed and agility coupled with rock and hill-climbing capability. However, being on the rocky, hilly and root-infested east coast (SE KY/NE TN), I am concerned that the 60" width will limit me too much. So, I am trying to find that delicate happy medium...a 50" RZR with the WER shocks. Will this be a good step in the direction of making the RZR feel a little bit more like an mx bike? I will probably get the extended warranty and do not want to void it by throwing aftermarket parts on it. Do the WER shocks void the warranty? I don't mind spending a couple grand on suspension so if there are other options out there, do tell. Please share your thoughts.

-Greg

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
go with the 60" if you like to "push it" and drive it like a rally car. I came from an MX background and started with the 50", it didn't work way too tippy! it was a great setup for really tight woods stuff but didn't work when you wanted to cut loose. show up at a forum ride and try each one and decide for yourself.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello Greg and welcome. I have a similar background ( Endoros and Trials ) for many years. Back operation got me off bikes, and after a while, to the RZR or RZR/S decision.
I would rather have the S, but we ride the National Forests in Colorado. Many fun fifty inch trails the S guys can’t use. They stay mostly on the fire roads with the jeeps and pickups. Still fun, but… Anyway, It’s all about where your going to ride. For me the WE shocks are a BIG improvement over the stockers through the rocks, roots and whoops. They were my first upgrade. Expensive, but well worth it. “RZR feel like an MX bike” ? Many times I wanted to stand up on the pegs, but your butt’s strapped to the seat, so that’s out. Best I could do was the shocks and the suspension seat. The S will certainly do better in the show-off sections, but around here many of the good show-off sections are off the fifty inch trails, so… Decision time. You can’t go wrong. Try them both.
GregD
PS Extended warranties are IMO generally not in your favor.

-MY STUFF-
2010 RZR SILVER LE
WALKER EVANS COILOVER SHOCKS
POLARIS RZR FRONT BRUSH GUARD
THUNDERHAWK FRONT BUMPER BRACE & RADIATOR GUARD
PRO ARMOR TRAIL DOORS WITH NETS
TWISTED STITCH AGRESSOR SUSPENSION SEAT
DRAGONFIRE 4 POINT HARNESS WITH STRENUM STRAP
UHMW FULL SKID PLATE
PURE 3500 LB. WINCH
CARGO BOX
GARMIN 1490 GPS
BIGHORNS
WOLF SNOUT for those dusty days
REAR VIEW MIRROR
DASH MODIFIED FOR KNEE CLEARANCE
SET UP FOR 50” TRAILS IN COLORADO
(lots of plastic dings from when the trail was only 49”)
GIRL FRIEND – Good rider on an 08 YAMAHA WOLVERINE
FAVORITE TRAILS – FOURMILE AREA – BUENA VISTA, CO.
PHANTOM CREEK @ WOODLAND PARK, CO.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of the responses, but I am still agonizing over this! Part of the problem is...I don't know what the trails are like in my area (Hazard, KY/SE KY/NE TN), since I just relocated here. So this makes an informed decision really difficult. I know there is the Daniel Boone NF and Brimstone and Royal Blue are within striking distance. Also, in my many years of riding dirt bikes I can only recall running into 50" trail restrictions (W TN/N MS) just a few times, but maybe they have always been there and went unnoticed since it did not apply to me.

What about Hatfield-McCoy? Will the "S" work well here? My goal is to take as many out-of-town weekend trips as possible and explore various trail systems.

Obviously, the RZR can go everywhere the "S" can go, and more. I'm just wondering how many trails are 50" within a days drive of SE KY?

·
Razin' cane....
27 Posts
i have a walker evans with 26inch tires making me about 54" in rear and I ride in western north carolina where mostly dirt bikes and 4 wheelers ride. Everyone has the same thought process when i ride with new people. I usually ride in the back of the pack and they all say. "I'm surprised you kept up with us"..... Then when I get the chance to get in front I will hear...." Man I can't keep up with you, especially through the rough stuff. I am shocked"..... I just :) and chuckle..... I am impressed with mine so far..

·
Registered
687 Posts
You can definately go to Hatfield with the 60". Not to sure about the ones closer to you. Just call them and ask, or check their websites it may tell you there. I have the 50" version now(54" with aftermarker wheels & tires). My next one will also be the 50", but I will buy an aftermarket LT kit & shocks. Why spend the extra money on the PoPo 60" version. Their A-arms and shocks suck(only difference btw the S & standard). We ride extremely tight trails around here and I have a friend that has a S and he can fit, just takes him a little longer to get through sometimes.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
thelonious,did you get a rzr yet? I'm in eastern ky and have a rzr s and my wife rides a reg rzr with offset wheels .like you I raced motocross and gnccc for years but after breaking my back a 3rd time I decided to go with something with more protection.I ride all over eastern ky and tn and the s works great.her rzr has been rolled 4 times and my s has yet to roll.if you get a rzr and want to hook up and ride together give me a pm.the best riding around if you like technical rocky trails is by far at east lynn in west virginia.about 45 minutes from my house.if you've got any questions feel free to ask.Butch

1 - 11 of 11 Posts