Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for feedback on your experience (preferably long term) with running E85 in your RZR. Anyone have detrimental impact to the motor from it degrading oil? Seems as though the guys at SXSBlog are moving away from it and going to 110.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I dont believe that one should run E85 in anything that isnt flex fuel. Our normal 87 octane is a 90% blend here in WV. Now I have heard that some drag racers may be using E85 but for unmodified RZRs 87 is just fine to run.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I don't think that they are properly maintaining their machines while running the E85. They should be doing more oil changes with the tunes they are running which are dumping fuel you add the risk of it getting to your oil and and washing your main bearings. Also cold starting and moving the machine around the shop in the winter here in Michigan and not giving it time to warm up is also not helping id imagine. I run E85 with Evo's Dynamite Turbo kit just like theirs and I am not worried one bit. I do change it to 93 octane in the winter though. I am not a fan of E85 cold starts lol

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think that they are properly maintaining their machines while running the E85. They should be doing more oil changes with the tunes they are running which are dumping fuel you add the risk of it getting to your oil and and washing your main bearings. Also cold starting and moving the machine around the shop in the winter here in Michigan and not giving it time to warm up is also not helping id imagine. I run E85 with Evo's Dynamite Turbo kit just like theirs and I am not worried one bit. I do change it to 93 octane in the winter though. I am not a fan of E85 cold starts lol
What oil are you running and what hour interval are you changing it? Thinking I’ll run Mobil 1 15w50 and change at 25hrs.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Been running E85 for almost a year in my 900 S on a completely stock fuel system... I run E85 in just about everything I can. Keys are to keep a properly maintained and sealed fuel system and drive it enough to burn off any accumulated moisture that makes its way into the crank case. The not warming up of engines [especially for long enough periods to burn off moisture] is going to be bad anyway.

I just took an oil sample of mine that I need to remember to send off today. 544 miles on the oil (Motul 300v 5w40), only run with E85. Previously, on my street and track cars, I haven't needed to adjust my OCI's, after using oil sampling.

I've been tuning E85 for probably 10 years or so. I've never had an issue with any of my personal cars, and they get stored for long periods. The SxS Blog guys seem pretty new to E85 and some of the things that go with it, so I'm not sure I'd follow their example.

EDIT: In the more recent years, I have put in a little Sea Foam and 2-stroke oil with E85. This helps with any water absorption as well as lubricity as ethanol does not have as much as gasoline.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I run E85 in my 72 c10. I have had no issues except it smells bad lol.
One thing you want to keep an eye on too is the quality of E85 around you. The sticker at the pump says it can be 51%-83% ethanol. My local e85 is actually 78% ethanol according to my flex fuel sensor. You're going to burn 30% more Ethanol than you will gasoline too. Due to this I might steer away from Ethanol on trail rides (don't see e85 on trails by me) but might run it when I play in the dunes.

·
Super Moderator
2015 S900
8,131 Posts
85% (max) ethanol? Just my opinion, but I'll pass until they build a machine designed for what ethanol can do to fuel systems. I had enough problems (running hot and afterfire (exhaust backfire)) from ethanol in my 570 RZR; ethanol-free gas fixed that problem.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Fuel systems have been designed with ethanol in mind decades at this point. Ethanol, itself, does not cause afterfires or running hotter (ethanol actual runs cooler all the way around - evaporative cooling, cooler combustion/EGT's).

If the tune is off enough that it can't handle the percentages you've got in your tank, it could be a richer/leaner Lambda, which can also happen on a non-O2 feedback vehicles, especially with Speed Density, such as the 570 is/was.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts