Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a looney tuned exhaust with a dynateck programmer and it is really hard to start and takes a while to warm up, i already leaned it out but it still pops when i let off from WOT does anyone know wtf to do it runs great after it warms up great throttle response and it also starts right up after its warm thanks in advance

·
I just wanna ride
3,641 Posts
Bump

Sorry dude that's all the help I can give.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Clayton,
My HPD engine did the same thing when I installed the Dynatek, but I have the timing set higher, so that might cause your problem also.
As to the popping, you might want to check for exhaust as well as intake leaks. Both will cause the problem.
Bart

·
I just wanna ride
3,641 Posts
Let me see if I can help.

BUMP!

There did that help?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
That's a good response Jeff. :)) LOL Come on and cut the fella some slack, he just ask a question attempting to get a solution/answer if anyone has had the same problem.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks ill try that and let yall know what happens

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
i have a looney tuned exhaust with a dynateck programmer and it is really hard to start and takes a while to warm up, i already leaned it out but it still pops when i let off from WOT does anyone know wtf to do it runs great after it warms up great throttle response and it also starts right up after its warm thanks in advance

Clayton ........

There is far to much mis-information floating around this Forum.

Lets start over and examine your situation.

You've changed your exhaust.

You purchased a Programmable Dynatek Ignition Module (DFS-9).

You purchased Dynatek's Fuel Controller (DRSP-1).

Am I correct so far ?? Based on your answering YES ............

You "Assumed" the Dynatek would take care of the Ignition Timing issue and their fuel controller would take care of your A/F mixture issue that you perceived you would have in changing out the exhaust.

Now - Lets get to the FACTS !!

The Dynatek Ignition Module -- As purchased from Dynatek DOES NOT take care of the timing issue. Research my several postings back in May on this subject.

Dynatek takes the stock Polaris timing curve and advances this curve 4 degrees and stores it in Curve #4 in the ignition module. If you were not to have their fuel controller - The only active curve in the ignition module is curve #4. With their fuel controller - One can select any ONE of the FOUR in the ignition module.

The story doesn't stop here - And here is the IMPORTANT point -- Polaris takes out timing starting at 3500 RPM and doesn't add it back till 4900 RPM. That same dip in timing is in the Dynatek box - Just advanced 4 degrees across the entire RPM range.

I posted a corrected timing curve that is a safe curve for anyone to run. From that curve one can tweak to their personal preferrence. I'd suggest one uses my posted curve as I don't advance timing as the engine is starting. This causes starting issues. This concludes the issue on timing.

Fueling -- -- You've got Dynatek's fuel box. Leave it set at ZERO for all the fueling adjustments.

You MUST have an 02 sensor installed. If you don't - You stand a good chance damaging your engine. Install an 02 sensor and guage before adjusting the fuel.

Once you have an 02 sensor installed - Make a few runs with the RzR and see where your A/F is at. Once one sees where the fuel mixture is at - THEN and only THEN does one adjust the fuel box. Here's a tip for you -- Carry along a small flat screwdriver with you to adjust the "Pots" on the fuel box. Also before you begin - Use a fine tip black felt tip pen and put a black dot on the arrow of each "Pot". As time goes by - You'll be glad you have done this.

You'll want your A/F to be in the range of 12.8.

Curvemaker Software - This is a very easy program to use. LOOK at the 4 pre-programmed timing curves. With their fuel box - You have the ability to select from any one of the 4. As time goes by - You may wish to either tweak those 4 or build 4 yourself. This is one shining feature of their fuel box - The ability to change timing curves on the fly.

You can also overlay all 4 curves on one screen and see the slight differences as they are all overalyed for display.

You also may find the adjustable RPM switch that is in the ignition module usefull. I use it for several different applications.

With the Curvemaker software - It's a snap to adjust your timing. I suggest you start pulling timing out before one hits the rev limiter. I talk about this when I posted on this subject back in May.

I could go into a lot more - This will get you started down the right path. If you've any further questions - Make them specific and post back.

For everyone else - IF you make a post .. .. Whether it's to ask a question or respond to someone who has -- PLEASE make it as specific as possible and referrence any links supporting and picutres are a great help.

I don't frequent this Forum much anymore -- So if you have a question you would like me to try and answer Clayton -- Send me an e-mail ........

Thanks --

Dave
[email protected]

·
Registered
681 Posts
Sparky....digging up an old post here.....How much timing and how long before the rev limit do you recommend removing?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts