Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I assure you fox will not give u any love on replacing a shock. And forget getting a replacement body from them or even getting ahold of someone that could expedite getting a body with scamdemic in full swing. I had to buy a used whole shock just 3 weeks ago when this happened to me.

I will also add that this issue I believe has nothing to do with the live valve system. Believe it or not these shocks are just regular bipass shocks with a electric adjuster in place of the compression clickers. Actually the turbo s live valve shocks have very similar workings and bodies that came on the fox equipped 16 and 17 xp turbos. Everyone thinks these shocks are some piece of majic but in reality it's just a regular old bipass shock with a electric motor that adjusts the clickers on the fly.
Thanks ! I actually agree with your assessment about what these shocks actually are. I knew going in that it was just an electronic adjuster but it is kind of cool to be able to adjust on the fly. They aren't some kind of wunderkind because when I was coming back and noticed the wheel hop I changed my screen to the equally worthless ride command shock screen and it showed they were working properly. Polaris wins this one but I will not buy another one of their products so in the long run I win lol. Not really because the masses will still buy their products

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
I will also say this just because this is a expensive 30 grand machine does not make it exempt from having issues. I've got friends with canams, Honda's and Yamahas and all have issues. Hell my one buddy with the Yamaha yxx has had 2 engines and all the shocks replaced in 3000 miles. One of those engines let loose at 300 miles! Doesn't matter the brand or how you maintenance them issues will arise. I work on diesel pickup trucks for a living and hear it daily. How they just spent 70+ grand on a truck and now its already in the shop at under 15000 miles. It's a broken record anymore it seems. I tell everyone that comes through my shop asking about what truck they should buy or even people asking about sxs's on what they should buy. I tell them all this. All of them are junk and are made by the lowest bidder, all have different issues some worse some better so just sit in what's comfortable and buy it. I also tell them this and that's to never buy the warranty cuz most likely you will get screwed.

Back to the shock discussion here. I don't believe this is a Polaris issue this is a fox issue.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I will also say this just because this is a expensive 30 grand machine does not make it exempt from having issues. I've got friends with canams, Honda's and Yamahas and all have issues. Hell my one buddy with the Yamaha yxx has had 2 engines and all the shocks replaced in 3000 miles. One of those engines let loose at 300 miles! Doesn't matter the brand or how you maintenance them issues will arise. I work on diesel pickup trucks for a living and hear it daily. How they just spent 70+ grand on a truck and now its already in the shop at under 15000 miles. It's a broken record anymore it seems. I tell everyone that comes through my shop asking about what truck they should buy or even people asking about sxs's on what they should buy. I tell them all this. All of them are junk and are made by the lowest bidder, all have different issues some worse some better so just sit in what's comfortable and buy it. I also tell them this and that's to never buy the warranty cuz most likely you will get screwed.

Back to the shock discussion here. I don't believe this is a Polaris issue this is a fox issue.
Appreciate your commentary. Never expected them to be exempt from issues. I am actually a quality control engineer by trade. I made a statement early on that they all have issues. What makes the difference is how they handle issues and take care of their customers. You speak to multiple failures of different vehicles but you don't speak to how the manufacturers handled those issues. Were they covered or were the buyers screwed and had to come out of pocket for repairs ? Its all relevant, please provide context.

·
Registered
143 Posts
From my experience in the aviation industry, if a vendor item fails on an aircraft and the vendor doesn't warranty (which isn't always the case) the item, neither will the aircraft maker. From a business standpoint it makes sense but definitely doesn't please the aircraft owner. This shock situation seems to be similar. Is in right. No. Is it unique to one type of machine, not really. Do I ever buy an extended warranty? No. Sorry for your troubles @desertrider71 .

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
I want to start out with this and say in no way am I attacking you over this it's all just general talk about manufacturers actually taking care of customers.

I have worked in ford and Chevy dealerships for years b4 opening my own place. The manufacturer normally did whatever they could to get out of paying for repairs. They always had some sort of clause or exclusion on why it wasn't covered. The extended warranty places are by far the worst people to deal with and I won't deal with them in my shop just because of that. In the diesel pickup world it's insane how expensive things can get quickly. Not un common to c 10000+ repairs on trucks with very low miles that should have been covered under warranty. My friends yxz for instance with engine and shock issues. First one at 300 miles they did replace under warranty without much gripe. And when they did they even came out and said they had some issues that Yamaha was trying to get sorted. Well 700 miles later he was in the same boat with a machine that had 1000 miles on it and less than a year old. The warranty was denied on the second engine by factory and extended warranty. This was in 2017 when the yxz came out. And come to find out the programming that would control the coolant temp gauge and over heat warnings really didn't work. So when u thought you had no issues the engine was 230+ degrees eating itself. His second engine was denied due "Abuse" the dealership said. Long story short he had to drop 6000 dollars for a engine that should have been covered under warranty on a machine with 1000 miles less than a year old. Then 3 out of 4 of his oem fox x2 shocks started leaking at 1300 miles and those are excluded due to "wear item" clause in the extended warranty. So those got denied as well. I have found that over the years it doesn't matter who the manufacturer is or what the warranty is on it will normally be a fight to get things covered.

i know with all my rzrs I've had over the years Polaris has come a very long way from the first 07 570 I had. I remember back in 12 with my 900xp it literally cost me close to 4 dollars a mile to run the damn thing cuz it would eat so many parts. My rs1 and turbo s is now down to about a dollar a mile or a tad more to run it and use it. That for general maintenance, tires, and basic repairs. So considering what these sxs's can do I think that's really good.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Hard to believe the hate for new technology and the misunderstanding. Our user group is not easy on equipment or to deal with as a whole. Watch as to how well we obey the rules for speed, noise levels are anything else. Bunch of rebels we are.

Now to the hate for the Dynamix system. It is a fantastic system for the average rider. I love it. Have two of the 18 Dynamix. It is not for racers. It can be abused. Trying jumping your pickup are car the way some do the RZR and see how long they last. Our machine are close to a ton in weight. Jump that 20 feet or so and see how much weight is hitting the ground and then wonder what things break.

As to the hate for Shock Therapy, it is totally wrong. Have one machine with the full treatment. What a great ride. One has aftermarket springs that are not ST. They are OK and do help but no where close to how well the ST system works.

The live value system is now on Hondas and others are coming out with it. ST makes a kit to install the live valve on aftermarket for many machine now.

Some of our user groups sound like spoiled brats and have a fit when things don’t go there way. Sorry, that is life. Life does not go the way we would like so much of the time.

Sent from my iPad using RZRForums.net

Reactions: xmzuki

·
Registered
203 Posts
.... Believe it or not these shocks are just regular bipass shocks with a electric adjuster in place of the compression clickers. Actually the turbo s live valve shocks have very similar workings and bodies that came on the fox equipped 16 and 17 xp turbos. Everyone thinks these shocks are some piece of majic but in reality it's just a regular old bipass shock with a electric motor that adjusts the clickers on the fly.
All that is true but there's more to what Dynamix is; which is why I bought the car. Please keep in mind that this is from research I did a while back and I might not recall it all 100%.

IIRC the Dynamix shocks are, as mentioned above, electronically adjusted on the fly - not only by the driver, but by the Dynamix computer at something like 200x per second. Is it just 3 settings or is is a lot more? I don't recall ever finding that out.

IIRC there are something like 5 to 8 motion sensors placed about the car. I assume these are like what are in our modern cell phones. The system not only knows where the car is in 3D space but if it is nose high, nose low, rolling, yawing, sliding, G'd out, weightless, etc, etc.. The system knows about throttle position, RPM, steering wheel input, and others (don't recall about brake input). All that information is used to adjust each shock individually for the best handling and, I suspect, to help prevent rollovers.

I accidentally tested it out. I left the right rear shock unplugged, went for a ride in the neighborhood, and found the car unusually squirrley. I noticed a small light on the dash indicating a problem with the Dynamix. After plugging the shock back in, the car became stable again.

I suppose if the system ever failed, I'd unplug all the shocks so they would all behave the same so I could make it back.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Brakes too. When brakes are applied it stiffens the front shocks to prevent noise dive. One great system. Makes for a very stable plantform.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Brakes too. When brakes are applied it stiffens the front shocks to prevent noise dive. One great system. Makes for a very stable plantform.
That makes all the sense in the world but I couldn't state it for sure.

Yep amazing platform for the $$$.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
If you want to see it, next time out, turn on the screen to show the system at work and step on the brakes. One has to be going over a certain speed for the system to do it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
So I took the RZR to my go to shop for a rebuild because polaris shot me down. The spring wasn't seated right and rubbed the body on the backside creating a hole. I actually pointed out the spring seating at the dealer when I went to them. They checked nothing and offered me no help. Now I'm stuck eating the cost or waiting for polaris to cover it, waiting for parts under warranty IF they accept it, and missing the start of dune season. Very dissatisfied with this whole thing. I have 900 miles on this machine.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
This is a prime reason why both of my rzrs get gone over top to bottom every single time it comes home from a ride. I even take 15 mins to go over the car every morning b4 I ride if I'm riding multiple days. That spring issue could have been caught very early if the car had been gone over. How that was not heard while your are riding is beyond me. That had to make some serious noises. Not bashing by any means but that's not fox's fault and it's not polaris's fault. This is either your dealerships neglect to setup the car when it was new or it was the owners neglect not going over the machine thoroughly pre and post riding. That spring not sitting in it's pocket correctly is even damn near in your face out in the open. Good luck on your replacement. I just now received my 2 shock bodies from fox I ordered months ago.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
This is a prime reason why both of my rzrs get gone over top to bottom every single time it comes home from a ride. I even take 15 mins to go over the car every morning b4 I ride if I'm riding multiple days. That spring issue could have been caught very early if the car had been gone over. How that was not heard while your are riding is beyond me. That had to make some serious noises. Not bashing by any means but that's not fox's fault and it's not polaris's fault. This is either your dealerships neglect to setup the car when it was new or it was the owners neglect not going over the machine thoroughly pre and post riding. That spring not sitting in it's pocket correctly is even

damn near in your face out in the open. Good luck on your replacement. I just now received my 2 shock bodies from fox I ordered months ago.
Appreciate your input. No noise noted. Not out in the open, read the post, it was on the backside. I check my machine every day when I am out riding. I was not aware that I needed to check my springs with a freaking mirror before every ride. It was set up wrong by Polaris and ignored by my dealer. Do you check the suspension on your cars every day before you head to work ? Maybe hook up a gauge up and check your house A/C to validate the freon level ? Put a gauge on your house water pressure daily to be sure its OK? If I beat on my machine I would not post here, I would fix it and learn from it. Not the case here. If I noticed it I would have addressed it before I was out thousands of dollars. If you have a list of everything that may go wrong on your RZR and and everything else in your life that could fail and have the time to investigate all of them good on you sir.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Agree with DBRs1. That would be easy to see. Shocks installed by Polaris recommendation has the open on the lover seat facing out at the wheel. The very bottom of spring edge shows heavy impact. Hard enough to dent the spring metal. That looks like a thing that very easily could have occurred while riding. Something got in there and unseated the spring from the seat. All one had to see is the spring was not seated in the base. No mirror required.

Where was your ride height set? If the ride hight was set very soft then there may have not been sufficient pressure to keep the spring In the seat. Have seen sand users lower the ride height extremely low for some unknown reason.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts