Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had issues with the Dynamix shocks ? I have 900 miles on my 2019 Turbo S and the right front shock failed, oil everywhere. Lost two days of riding in St. Anthony because of it. Polaris won't warranty as they said they don't warranty leaking shocks. My take is its not leaking, it failed, but I digress. Is this something I should try to fix or is it best left to Fox ? Not thrilled about having to pay for this. My XP 900 never had a failed shock in 8 years so this is disappointing to say the least. Thanks for any input.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Where did the oil leak from. Check the shock tube to make sure it didn't crack. If it is leaking from a seal Polaris probably won't fix or replace it for you. If it leaked because the shock failed they should replace the shock or at least fix it. I had my right front shock fail but it was my fault. I have my shocks re-valved and re-sprung and was riding it way harder than I had it set up for. I bottomed the front repeatedly when I should have been taking it easy. The shock tube split which caused the failure. I have seen someone else post on here that the same thing happened to them. I had my suspension guy fix the shock and re-valve them and have not had any problems with them. Parts can be ordered to fix pretty much anything on these fox shocks.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where did the oil leak from. Check the shock tube to make sure it didn't crack. If it is leaking from a seal Polaris probably won't fix or replace it for you. If it leaked because the shock failed they should replace the shock or at least fix it. I had my right front shock fail but it was my fault. I have my shocks re-valved and re-sprung and was riding it way harder than I had it set up for. I bottomed the front repeatedly when I should have been taking it easy. The shock tube split which caused the failure. I have seen someone else post on here that the same thing happened to them. I had my suspension guy fix the shock and re-valve them and have not had any problems with them. Parts can be ordered to fix pretty much anything on these fox shocks.
Thank you. I haven't touched it. I called the dealer when I got home and they told me to bring it in so they could photograph it so i was waiting to hear back.From what I can see from the front there aren't any splits in the tube. I didn't do anything that was hard or I would own it and not even looked for warranty coverage. I noticed the wheel hopping going across the flats on the way back to camp. Good to know I can rebuild it. Just wasn't sure with the Dynamix if there was something extra that needed to be done.

·
Registered
701 Posts
extended warranty will not warranty shocks either.
i have/had RPM One

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Here is what happened to mine. I ended up replacing the shock body, Inner shock sleeve, piston and the bottom cap. I also replaced the lower spring retainers with some billet pieces. With parts, re-valving both shocks, oil and labor it was $400.
IMG_0746.JPG

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Blew apart from inside. Firm setting with hard impact?

Sent from my iPad using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Blew apart from inside. Firm setting with hard impact?

No hard impact and in sport. I was solo cruising the dunes in St. Anthony so I was taking it pretty easy. No g-outs or hard impacts at all. I doubt I even got a half droop situation on that ride.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
That was the ride when it blew. The damage could have been done any time with the finally failure occurred as the metal wreaked, Then it is possible to for the tube to have been made with a weak spot. One can learn a lesson from one of Space X failures. The found the failure caused by an stainless steel strut that failed. They tested all of the new structures and found one failed after many hundreds passed. They were testing and using stainless and said that is the natures of the metal. Suspect aluminum is the same or worse. A weak spot in the forming process. Maybe.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That was the ride when it blew. The damage could have been done any time with the finally failure occurred as the metal wreaked, Then it is possible to for the tube to have been made with a weak spot. One can learn a lesson from one of Space X failures. The found the failure caused by an stainless steel strut that failed. They tested all of the new structures and found one failed after many hundreds passed. They were testing and using stainless and said that is the natures of the metal. Suspect aluminum is the same or worse. A weak spot in the forming process. Maybe.
I'm of the opinion that this should not have happened but it is what it is. I will get it fixed and ride on but pretty much done with Polaris after this. I should have just kept my 900. Besides the poorly designed header failure, that thing was pretty trouble free. I bought an extended warranty because of all the "advanced" technology on this new one. Finding out quick advanced means your on the hook. All of them have issues but if you can't get 900 miles out of a well taken care of and not abused machine without a hit to your wallet somethings wrong. I loved talking up my ride but when i get asked again what I think of my RZR I will just say don't buy it. I am truly that disappointed. 36k and the shock blows out at 900 miles. Can't wait to see what else goes wrong down the road lol.

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
I've lost 2 left fronts. Both hard impacts in firm. Both caused by the negative spring plastic sliders in the shock coming apart sending small plastic pieces into the compression valve stack. Well so we believe. One blew a huge hole in the shock body and the other swelled the bottom of the body in the place the other one blew out. The one that swelled up lost all compression valving after that happened and you can tell the shock got really hot after that by the discoloration of the body compared to a normal body. This is definitely a known issue and it seems it is in the earlyish live valve cars. Like 18 and early 19 b4 they changed shocks.

Reactions: Max H

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Sounds like a Shock Therapy rebuild and springs is a good investment.

Reactions: Wolfhound

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
I would suggest someone else personally. That's from my own experiences and from others on the forum over the years. It's been pretty well documented on the forum about loss of your comfort mode with the shock therapy setup. Check out some of your other options b4 I chose your shock tuner.

And my shocks live valve shocks are not stock with eibach springs and valving done I will add and this issue still happened again. The first time the shocks had been bone stock unopened. Fcr suspension came up with billet negative spring sliders that will hopefully fix the issues. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
This is why I will never own a side by side with live valve suspension. Way to much to go wrong for such a small (questionable even) benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've lost 2 left fronts. Both hard impacts in firm. Both caused by the negative spring plastic sliders in the shock coming apart sending small plastic pieces into the compression valve stack. Well so we believe. One blew a huge hole in the shock body and the other swelled the bottom of the body in the place the other one blew out. The one that swelled up lost all compression valving after that happened and you can tell the shock got really hot after that by the discoloration of the body compared to a normal body. This is definitely a known issue and it seems it is in the earlyish live valve cars. Like 18 and early 19 b4 they changed shocks. View attachment 655837 View attachment 655839
Wow ! I will definitely look that shock over better tomorrow. Thank you for posting this. I have not looked at the backside of the shock yet. From what I have seen there is no discoloration on the body. The spring is canted off the bottom of the shock a little but I chalked it up to my cruise back to camp with a blown shock.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds like a Shock Therapy rebuild and springs is a good investment.

I have already talked to my local shop about the shock therapy upgrade and rebuilding my shock for me. Funny thing is I'm at a point in my life where I can afford these toys and this hobby versus several years ago when I got into it when I hoped for nothing to go wrong and winged it. Now I'm done with ever buying a Polaris SXS again. Going to dump money into upgrading my sandrail and get out of the SXS game. I will keep my RZR and use it for cruises on the mountain trails in summer and hope it doesn't break. This will be my last SXS.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is why I will never own a side by side with live valve suspension. Way to much to go wrong for such a small (questionable even) benefit.

Agree ! I bought the warranty to cover this type of issue but apparently it means nothing. Going to call Fox tomorrow to see if they will show some love and then calling Polaris to hopefully get a refund of my remaining warranty. I will have my local shop rebuid it and go from there.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I was on the fence about the live valve but wrongly thought the bugs had been worked out. Should have bought the Titanium without the worthless Ride Command. Probably would still be able to go out for a ride and saved thousands of dollars. Live and learn.

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
I assure you fox will not give u any love on replacing a shock. And forget getting a replacement body from them or even getting ahold of someone that could expedite getting a body with scamdemic in full swing. I had to buy a used whole shock just 3 weeks ago when this happened to me.

I will also add that this issue I believe has nothing to do with the live valve system. Believe it or not these shocks are just regular bipass shocks with a electric adjuster in place of the compression clickers. Actually the turbo s live valve shocks have very similar workings and bodies that came on the fox equipped 16 and 17 xp turbos. Everyone thinks these shocks are some piece of majic but in reality it's just a regular old bipass shock with a electric motor that adjusts the clickers on the fly.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts