Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked everywhere for what to run as a dual auxiliary battery and can only find RZR-S threads...

Anybody with dual batteries on a RZR 800?

Already planning on isolating it, just need recommendations on the smaller battery under the driver seat...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Mach, why go thru all the trouble when you can install a larger capacity battery in place of the OEM.
A case in point, in june of 08 I repalced the oem with a Odyssey (not sure of the spelling) PC925L. This is more than 4 years ago. Last Thursday I was riding the side of a canyon and slipped off. We rolled at least once side and one complete end-over-end and landed in a tree on our side. We were over 70' down a embackment that we needed a rope to get up. I have a polaris 3500# winch which we needed first to tension to right the RZR. Then we spent the next hour winching the RZR up that mountain and starting the engine over three times to supplement the winch. That four year old battery never let me down.
The RZR has a marginal charging circuit @ best and a two battery/isolation switch/charging system will get you????
The PC925L just drops in, it saved my RZR,
John

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Ain't no difference between the two when it comes to installing dual batteries.

I put in an Odyssey 925 as a second battery to run my add ons, it was simple enough to do, and gives great piece of mind.

That being said, I think just dropping the 925 in place of the stock battery would have served me just fine.....but having that guaranteed back up battery is good stuff indeed.

:camorzr:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies and ideas...

I already swapped out the stock battery with 40amp deep cell so I'd like to get a battery that fits the dual battery compartment purely for starting the bike and use the monster battery (isolated) to run all the accessories (winch, light bar, 2 amps, subwoofer, wakeboard speakers) without worry of not starting when in deep woods..

Thanks again
Mach

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, OldDogNewTrick - which 925 did you get that fits that lil' compartment? There's a bunch of sub-models to the 925 but they all seem an inch or so too big to fit...

Thanks again
Mach

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Also, OldDogNewTrick - which 925 did you get that fits that lil' compartment? There's a bunch of sub-models to the 925 but they all seem an inch or so too big to fit...

Thanks again
Mach
E-Bay, listed as "Yamaha Rhino PC925" Slipped in nice and snug in the storage box under driver seat right next to factory battery.

Installed a BEP Marine compact battery switch/voltage sensitive relay that ensures the second battery is isolated from the cranking battery and that voltage overage will keep it topped off while operating. The switch mounted easily to the back of the shifter housing, and when in the off position, key will not start engine.

Easy install, took a couple hours, and I am not quick.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Be sure you order the PC925L, the "L" reverses the connections. I will fit in the original Batt box on it's side,
John

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OldDogNewTrick & JohnPeq- I mean the storage box under the driver seat, on the '08 is <6.25"D x 4.75"W x 6.75"L with the cover and 7"D x 5.75"W x 8"L without worrying about putting the cover on...

Is this where you're talking about fitting the spare? I take it that I keep the cover off and fab some sort of mud/water shield. Do you have any pictures you can share?

Thanks
Mach

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
OldDogNewTrick & JohnPeq- I mean the storage box under the driver seat, on the '08 is <6.25"D x 4.75"W x 6.75"L with the cover and 7"D x 5.75"W x 8"L without worrying about putting the cover on...

Is this where you're talking about fitting the spare? I take it that I keep the cover off and fab some sort of mud/water shield. Do you have any pictures you can share?

Thanks
Mach
Don't make fun of my mess! :rofl3:

This is from the steering wheel straight down, cargo bed to the top of the image, and you can see the switch I installed on the back side of the shifter housing.

The 2011 did not have a cover on the storage area, just wide open, but the dimensions you give without the cover seem about right. I'd measure for you but my ride is in the mountains. The measurements were pretty tight and I was not sure until I got the battery it would fit, but it did, snugly.

I've cleaned up some of that wiring mess you see there since, but as I said the install was simple and has worked as advertised since putting it in. I do not worry about running heater fan, aux lights, EPS, music, etc anymore. Think the entire set up cost me around 225.00

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OldDogNewTrick,

What mess? :)

That's exactly what I needed to know! Guess i'm ordering the battery now...

Thanks all for the great help and ideas!
Mach

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
OldDog, how is the 2nd battery secured?

I use that space currently for the mess of wires from the radio :)
Sheer gravity, it is a biotch to dig back out of that space, put some padding under it and let it ride.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Thanks
Mach

This is from the steering wheel straight down, cargo bed to the top of the image, and you can see the switch I installed on the back side of the shifter housing.

The 2011 did not have a cover on the storage area, just wide open, but the dimensions you give without the cover seem about right. I'd measure for you but my ride is in the mountains. The measurements were pretty tight and I was not sure until I got the battery it would fit, but it did, snugly.

I've cleaned up some of that wiring mess you see there since, but as I said the install was simple and has worked as advertised since putting it in. I do not worry about running heater fan, aux lights, EPS, music, etc anymore. Think the entire set up cost me around 225.00
Did you use the OEM Polaris Auxiliary battery hookup or just that marine switch

·
Registered
2,596 Posts

Thanks
Mach

Just the marine switch, never knew about an OEM Polais Aux hookup..

This was not a hard thing to do, and provides great piece of mind when out in the sticks.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Just the marine switch, never knew about an OEM Polais Aux hookup..

This was not a hard thing to do, and provides great piece of mind when out in the sticks.
How many amps is the switch and VSR?

·
Registered
2,596 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Jim, how much was that switch? You just helped me from recreating the wheel. I found a brand new odyssey for $125 shipped from another member here and want to use it to power all my toys, heated seats, cab heater, 37" light bar, 5000LB Viper Winch, 4 single 10 W LED and a 4 speaker system SSV Works Stereo.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Jim, how much was that switch? You just helped me from recreating the wheel. I found a brand new odyssey for $125 shipped from another member here and want to use it to power all my toys, heated seats, cab heater, 37" light bar, 5000LB Viper Winch, 4 single 10 W LED and a 4 speaker system SSV Works Stereo.

Thanks in advance.
About $130.00 as I recall. Nice thing was it mounted perfectly right behind the shifter on the shifter housing.

http://www.bepmarine.com/home-mainmenu-8/product-273/714-100a-single-engine-two-battery-banks

1 - 20 of 29 Posts