Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced the 3 u-joints and carrier bearing ( did the silicone fill) and am going to have the assembly balanced. Which brings me to the phasing. Having read all the comments here, watched UT videos, and by searching the net for answers..... seems phasing is the thing to do. On here, I ran across a comment that phasing isnt needed, while someone who builds ds says they always phase and balance and have smooth running driveshafts. But then admitted they never tried to just balance w/o phasing them. And several guys have said just balancing has worked for them. I understand how/why the phasing works., on a drive line with properly setup input/output angles. I also realize polaris does not phase?? or balance their ds's. Or do they and we just dont see it? We admit when we look at each of our own drivelines, they are not phased, yet the center slip joint is marked and assembled so it is assembled in only 1 way (as of last few yrs) But has anyone ever took driveshafts out of 2 identical units and compared the u-joint phasing to see if they where both the same? Why are they keyed if phasing was not a concern?

On to the reason of this discussion...

We've seen the YT video of the guy showing the phasing results with the sprockets attached to the shafts and using a playing card to hear the speed inconsistencies when working angles and phasing is set askew. When the angles and phasing are text book correct, the card sound is consistant from end to end.
Soooo, is it possible since the front dif is offset to the side, and the rear tranny output is angled down (creating a less then perfect driveline setup) that Polaris has found that by building the driveshafts out of phase, that the out of phase design has in fact corrected the offset input/output designs, and that by aligning the u-joints, we are now creating a concern area? Of course if someone has a test stand laying around that they could reproduce the same driveline working angles as the stock RZR has, it'd be easy to verify. I just dont have one laying around.
I'm getting mine balanced in a couple days and Im sure the phasing issue will be brought up since its obvious none of mine line up.

Yes I'm aware of the 1 piece shaft units, but I'm focusing on the 2 piece units for this discussion.

Comments from anyone whos approached this line of thinking, vs those that will just say they had theirs phased and balanced.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Replaced the 3 u-joints and carrier bearing ( did the silicone fill) and am going to have the assembly balanced. Which brings me to the phasing. Having read all the comments here, watched UT videos, and by searching the net for answers..... seems phasing is the thing to do. On here, I ran across a comment that phasing isnt needed, while someone who builds ds says they always phase and balance and have smooth running driveshafts. But then admitted they never tried to just balance w/o phasing them. And several guys have said just balancing has worked for them. I understand how/why the phasing works., on a drive line with properly setup input/output angles. I also realize polaris does not phase?? or balance their ds's. Or do they and we just dont see it? We admit when we look at each of our own drivelines, they are not phased, yet the center slip joint is marked and assembled so it is assembled in only 1 way (as of last few yrs) But has anyone ever took driveshafts out of 2 identical units and compared the u-joint phasing to see if they where both the same? Why are they keyed if phasing was not a concern?

On to the reason of this discussion...

We've seen the YT video of the guy showing the phasing results with the sprockets attached to the shafts and using a playing card to hear the speed inconsistencies when working angles and phasing is set askew. When the angles and phasing are text book correct, the card sound is consistant from end to end.
Soooo, is it possible since the front dif is offset to the side, and the rear tranny output is angled down (creating a less then perfect driveline setup) that Polaris has found that by building the driveshafts out of phase, that the out of phase design has in fact corrected the offset input/output designs, and that by aligning the u-joints, we are now creating a concern area? Of course if someone has a test stand laying around that they could reproduce the same driveline working angles as the stock RZR has, it'd be easy to verify. I just dont have one laying around.
I'm getting mine balanced in a couple days and Im sure the phasing issue will be brought up since its obvious none of mine line up.

Yes I'm aware of the 1 piece shaft units, but I'm focusing on the 2 piece units for this discussion.

Comments from anyone whos approached this line of thinking, vs those that will just say they had theirs phased and balanced.
I agree with you. I have to believe Polaris did this for a reason. why? i'm not really sure. it not like it would have cost more to build them in phase, so I believe they had a reason. that being said I just replaced my shaft with the RCV shafts, I figure the cv's will remove any doubts I have about correcting the phasing. I haven't had a chance to test them yet . other than on the jackstands. but they seem to be very smooth so far.

·
Super Moderator
7,655 Posts
I think you're overthinking it. I agree, the propshaft halves are keyed so you can't put them back together out of factory phase.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Overthinking it? Possibly, I am just going to balance it. I just like to have a better understanding of the phasing aspect.
One would certainly think Polaris would have their reasoning for keying them as they do.

·
Super Moderator
7,655 Posts
I'm fairly sure it's to keep the U joints in phase so they don't rattle themselves to pieces.

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A follow up, this will be wordy

Took my DS to the driveline shop to have balanced. This place specializes in big truck, semi's, dump truck, farm equipement, etc as well as carry in. The guy I talked with, it's all he does, 40 hrs/week. Builds/repairs driveshafts, so I took what he said as someone who knows a little something. He was also in agreement that the out of phasing was probably done with a reason. He said he's built shafts out of phase following the manufactures specs. Usually because there is a harmonic or a slight imbalance from elsewhere: motor, tranny, whatever, that is canceled out by out of phase shafts. But if he has no specs to go by, they get phased because 9 times out of 10 its the best setup.
He went on to mention he would not spend the money to balance the RZR shafts. What he has seen from doing RZR shafts in the past, are that they are not straight, which causes the outta balance that everyone is feeling. When he straightens them, they run true and smooth, especially with the DOM tubes. This part sounds legit in my mind. Im curious to how many guys had their driveshafts balanced by having to add alot of weight, did so because they were really just bent? While I was talking with him, he had a 4' driveshaft that was probably 5" in OD setup on his balancer. It was running out .133" and out of balance.(I forget the oz amount) He'd take a torch and heat up a couple quarter size spots, determined by the balance machine, till red hot, then spin the DS again taking more readings. As the shaft cooled down, the runout was becoming less, and the out of balance was coming down. Said he keeps repeating the process till runout is in spec. Coulda swore he said it'll be about .005 for this shaft. Sold me. My plan was to just have it balanced since I had it out to replace u-jpoints and never really was aware of any issues, I decided to just reinstall mine as was and take it for a spin with the console off and my gopro pointed at rear DS. Front shaft was straight as an arrow, rear had around 1/8" runout. When I have time, I pull the rear back out and have it straightened.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I would like to know how this turns out? I did same stuff to my TRE few month ago. I could see the rear shaft has run out. Looks like the spline end where carrier bearing is could be welded a little off and that is causing it to not run true. However, it has little to no vibration from this and I just got lucky with it I guess. Doesn't fix my weak tiny front u-joint issue, entirely different problem, but related.

The newer 2020 Pro does have balance weight on rear shaft. I think they are doing some things to improve design, but not offering a fix for current owners. Always thought OEM should be the first to offer upgraded or improved OEM parts to current owners who may or may not have problems. At least offer the parts to improve what we have. That might kill some aftermarket companies, but would increase OEM support and image by disclosing improved designs and offer them for sale. Will not happen, but it would be a step in right direction. JMO

1 - 9 of 9 Posts