Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 RZR 900 Trail that I purchase about 3 months ago. It has always ran strong without any problems until yesterday at the end of a 2 hour ride through desert trails, and some steep rock climbing. After a very tough long steep climb in very small deep gravel followed with an even steeper decent, running in low gear, and maxing the rpm. I noticed the car was running rough. It was almost like when the seat belt is not fastened.

After stopping, turning off the engine, and checking to the engine bay to see if there wasn’t anything obvious. I saw nothing wrong. Started it back up and the engine ran fine. However, there were no more hills to climb, but a some flat trails where I opened it up, and it pulled hard, and ran perfect.

I am a little concerned, and a little hesitant about getting stuck out miles from anything. Any ideas, or suggestions. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn’t even think about checking the engine temp, until this morning. I think that maybe I should have that on constant display. On my old 800 I would have the temp display on temp in the summer when it is hot, but it hasn’t got hot here, yet.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Did you notice any error codes? You probably experienced a bit of belt slip during the climbs, which made it throw a 'cylinder misfire' error code and go into limp mode. Which makes even more sense considering that it cleared up after you shut it off and restarted it. I had the same thing happen on my XP1K - it went away after restart and no problems since (I did pull the belt and inspect it afterward to make sure it was still okay).

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn’t notice an error code, but makes a lot of sense. It was a very tough climb, and I know that there was a lot on the belt. I’m going to check the belt right now.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I didn’t notice an error code, but makes a lot of sense. It was a very tough climb, and I know that there was a lot on the belt. I’m going to check the belt right now.
Mine threw an error code (two of them, actually) - it was a long, steep, sandy climb with a lot of chop near the top, and I romped pretty heavy on the throttle. Almost any little amount of belt slip will make it throw a 'cylinder misfire' code and put it into limp mode. It sounds exactly like what yours did.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
5,713 Posts
Did you notice any error codes? You probably experienced a bit of belt slip during the climbs, which made it throw a 'cylinder misfire' error code and go into limp mode. Which makes even more sense considering that it cleared up after you shut it off and restarted it. I had the same thing happen on my XP1K - it went away after restart and no problems since (I did pull the belt and inspect it afterward to make sure it was still okay).
Yup, this right here is the most likely culprit, 65590 & 65591 are the usual codes ti throws, but can send the machine into limp mode briefly without throwing them. I would definitely inspect the belt, and make sure to carry a spare, if it starts to do it frequently, it's time to change the belt, but it may still go quite a bit longer. Wouldn't be a bad idea to change the belt out now as this is a common sign of the belt starting to wear out as well, but again, that's not always the case.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I removed the belt, and it looked like their is “a little” glazing on the edge, but there is no marks of grooves on either of the clutches. The belt is new with about 60-70 hours on it. After reading the replies I think that the belt just got hot. I am going to put the spare belt in the car, just in case, or should I go ahead and replace it, and keep it for a spare?

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
5,713 Posts
I removed the belt, and it looked like their is “a little” glazing on the edge, but there is no marks of grooves on either of the clutches. The belt is new with about 60-70 hours on it. After reading the replies I think that the belt just got hot. I am going to put the spare belt in the car, just in case, or should I go ahead and replace it, and keep it for a spare?
I'd go ahead and run it for a while longer and see if the problem shows up again, then replace if needed

·
Super Moderator
7,715 Posts

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts