Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm ready to drop the cash on rear paddles for my RZR4. I don't have the cash for fronts and rears yet, so just the rears for a month or two. I plan on buying Douglas Reds for whichever tire I choose so if that helps......

I've read a bunch on both of these tires and with the Scats being tried and true and the Doonz being the new kid on the block, there is a bit of controversy. Additionally, add in the fact that the RZR4 is new as well and you see my dilemma.

I can get either set for around $400 with DWT Reds. Both are 26" but the Scats are 7 paddle and the Doonz are 8, but they claim that the Doonz are a shorter paddle, sort of cool for powerslides, no?

I've searched, both this forum and the internet, so please don't figure that into your reply. I do appreciate anything you can add, though.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
15,386 Posts
let me make it more coplicated.... LOL
don't forget the STU Blasters!
check with Dave at Fullerton. He sells all three and can give you the pros and cons.

·
Registered
928 Posts
check with Dave at Fullerton. He sells all three and can give you the pros and cons.
X2, Dave knows his sand tires. I personally went with the Doonz on mine, but its not a rzr-4 and the doonz were a little cheaper. I was told that the scats will be faster but the doonz will ride smoother and slide better.

·
Registered
629 Posts
X2, Dave knows his sand tires. I personally went with the Doonz on mine, but its not a rzr-4 and the doonz were a little cheaper. I was told that the scats will be faster but the doonz will ride smoother and slide better.
Smoother and Slide better? Really?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Ok, I'm ready to drop the cash on rear paddles for my RZR4. I don't have the cash for fronts and rears yet, so just the rears for a month or two. I plan on buying Douglas Reds for whichever tire I choose so if that helps......

I've read a bunch on both of these tires and with the Scats being tried and true and the Doonz being the new kid on the block, there is a bit of controversy. Additionally, add in the fact that the RZR4 is new as well and you see my dilemma.

I can get either set for around $400 with DWT Reds. Both are 26" but the Scats are 7 paddle and the Doonz are 8, but they claim that the Doonz are a shorter paddle, sort of cool for powerslides, no?

I've searched, both this forum and the internet, so please don't figure that into your reply. I do appreciate anything you can add, though.

Thanks,
Dave

Hey Dave,

I run the Extremes 7 cup and Buffs on the front. I like them allot. Go with who gives you the best deal. I'm partial to Skat's so that's my vote.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks guys,

I thought the STUs were more expensive. I know that they are buggy tires and that the 26" tires are the smallest they make. Other than that, do the RZRs have enough weight and HP to turn these?

I did forget, although you probably assumed, that I will do my dune riding at Glamis, Ogilby and Gordon's more specifically, so durability for rocky-ish trails isn't an issue. I would think the molded tires would be better for trail-type of riding, but it's not the issue here.

Thanks again for the info and I'm still open for some influencing...

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
15,386 Posts
light weight and floatation are the key.
I haven't tried the STUs yet, but they are big and light.
They can cut different paddles to match your HP. I think the "play cut" is for stock RZRs.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
light weight and floatation are the key.
I haven't tried the STUs yet, but they are big and light.
They can cut different paddles to match your HP. I think the "play cut" is for stock RZRs.
I guess that's why I was thinking about the Doonz. They are almost as light as the Scats but seem to have more flotation.

This should be easier........

I guess it really doesn't matter that much. I mean it does, but I'm trying to choose between two (now three) excellent tires, either way I probably can't go wrong.

I ride a YZ in the Dunes. I've ridden quads but don't own one. I bought the RZR4 so that my family can experience the Dunes and hopefully like it as much as I do. I've been told that I don't need to run paddles at all and just to air down the Bighorns, but this RZR4 is my sandrail, and I want the best experience that I can get for both my family and myself.

So, in an effort to get the best or least the most preferred, I posted here for your opinions.

Keep them coming, so far they are all very good.

Dave

·
Registered
58 Posts
So would you be defeating the purpose if you were to run a after market wheel or a stock rzr s wheel instead of DWT reds with any of these paddle combos

·
Registered
104 Posts
I replaced my Scats with Blasters. The STU's give me much better flotation, I love them. The STU's took a little off the top end but everywhere else they perform better.

·
Registered
15,386 Posts
So would you be defeating the purpose if you were to run a after market wheel or a stock rzr s wheel instead of DWT reds with any of these paddle combos
I wouldn't say defeating... the tire will weigh less, so you will still see some improvement.

When I switched from stock wheels and bighorns to skat 25" paddles and buffs on Douglas reds, my RZR lost over 61lbs of rotating mass. That is huge!

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
X3 for Dave at Fullerton Sand Sports....

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
If you can make it to the SSSS show next weekend you can talk to Fullerton Sand and prob get a great deal at the show. Even if you dont buy anything it will still be great to meet some forum guys and get more knowledge of the tires.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I have the Doonz because I am running stock HP for now. Cannot go wrong with the reds.

The Doonz are great but I have not owned another paddle.

Dave at Fullerton is the man to talk to. He will take location, HP, riding style and your best interest and make a recommendation...when you see him on the dunes..he gives you a t-shirt and a hand shake..real deal

1 - 16 of 16 Posts