Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode with our local UTV group yesterday, 15 Rzr's 12 - 1,000's a couple of 900's and my 570. We logged 50 miles of some serious, technical mountain riding/rock crawling over 6+ hours. Our groups rule is to always keep the guy behind you in sight so that we don't lose anyone on the twists and turns. Ideally you can also keep the folks in front in sight but accomplishing both can be a challenge when the ones behind struggle to keep up. I had to seriously slow down and or stop and wait a couple dozen times before putting pedal to the metal once again and closing up with the leaders.

After about 4 hours our leader came back during a break and said you sure are keeping up, is that an 800 or 9? Nope, I replied just a 570, oh and by the way I am getting 20+ mpg.. You're "kidding" me was his response as he walked around my Rzr with its tiny little tires {most everyone was running 30 or 32"}. Here is a pic taken about 4 hours into the ride from Montana mountain northwest of Globe at about 6,000':

(y)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's our rule too. Watch for the guy behind us. We had a 570 in our group one time. I rode with the driver and your are correct, they can really zip around the trails.

One of the guys that followed me on a long, very steep descent commented on how I was able to pick a much more aggressive line, said he quickly learned to not even try to follow me. His 1,000 with the oversize tires is 2' wider than mine. The incredible engine braking of that little 570 all but eliminates brake use on the long down hills and at 50" wide I could dodge a lot of puddles, large rocks and other challenges easily.

Here is another shot:

:p

·
Registered
58 Posts
We ride with a guy who has a 570 4 seater all the time and he makes it almost everywhere we go. Impressive little machines.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Its crazy to think 6000 feet in elevation is mountains for you, but just regular ol stuff to me. Just damn high plains where im at at 6000 feet lol. Surrounded by mountain ranges though... looks like a beautiful place

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Looks like a great ride.
The little machines are very capable, our 800 has been all over Moab.
You have to pick different lines but I think you can do any trail in Moab.
20190424_133532.jpg
As far as working on or maintaining 570 is much better. Blowing out the clutches on the 800 is a total PITA., changing belts is a real blast too.

That's Top of the World in Moab.

·
Registered
73 Posts
570 4-seater? I didn't know they build one.
I built my own last year as I wanted a 4 seater but they are so expensive. I also love my other 570. Looks a little goofy as I quick threw a cage on it for camping but it took a roll onto its side no problem.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its crazy to think 6000 feet in elevation is mountains for you, but just regular ol stuff to me. Just damn high plains where im at at 6000 feet lol. Surrounded by mountain ranges though... looks like a beautiful place

The average elevation in Arizona is something north of 4,000", hardly the flat desert most people think of. We have a couple of dozen "Sky Islands" that exceed 10,000' as well. Riding up into these "Hills" if you will is still a serious challenge as the trails are very steep with lots of loose rock.

I've ridden my 570 in the southern Rockies {took it from Red River NM up to the top of Greenie peak at 11,300'} and the local trails give me just as much of a challenge. The best part of living here in southern Arizona are the unlimited opportunities to ride a wide variety trails with decent weather about 350 days a year.

This was taken last September from near the summit of Greenie Peak:

(y)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Red river is an hour north of me. All my riding is above 10k elevation. It is remarkable like you say. I have never ridden Arizona but would like to.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Red river is an hour north of me. All my riding is above 10k elevation. It is remarkable like you say. I have never ridden Arizona but would like to.

Wow, you are only an hour from Shotgun Willies... you are so lucky {at least when it is open, now not so much}. We get up to angel Fire several times a year as my best friend built his dream home there. Every trip necessitates a run up to Red River for Willies smoked brisket breakfast burrito smothered in Hatch Green Chile sauce, YUMMMM!

🤪

·
Registered
338 Posts
I agree the little 570 Rzr impresses - mine does. It momentums well in high range. It crawls insanely well in low range at 1-3 mph. Motor, belt and traction lol. Its plows snow great.
My shortcomings with it are, slight tippiness on side hills. When the rocks/boulders get big it lack ground clearance.
I would be embarrassed in the dunes.
For my moderate touring & work use it does fine. Better than fine,
With the crazy full size SxS's out there, it is underwhelming in stature.

·
Registered
73 Posts
IMG_20200326_194704_363.jpg
I agree the little 570 Rzr impresses - mine does. It momentums well in high range. It crawls insanely well in low range at 1-3 mph. Motor, belt and traction lol. Its plows snow great.
My shortcomings with it are, slight tippiness on side hills. When the rocks/boulders get big it lack ground clearance.
I would be embarrassed in the dunes.
For my moderate touring & work use it does fine. Better than fine,
With the crazy full size SxS's out there, it is underwhelming in stature.
It is embarrassing in the dunes. I took mine to St. Anthony with a friend a couple years ago. It is certainly not made for that. The shortcomings you listed can be overcame though. Mine is stable, rocks in the rocks, and has tons of ground clearance.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Mine has moderate upgrades, but I have not gone big. I also considered portals but resisted. I'll stay run of the mill.
I think I read yours is 70" wide? My aim is to go 68" wide and do a Honda Talon R... in time. I am ready to power up in the future.
Not taking away from yours. (y)

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
View attachment 647480
It is embarrassing in the dunes. I took mine to St. Anthony with a friend a couple years ago. It is certainly not made for that. The shortcomings you listed can be overcame though. Mine is stable, rocks in the rocks, and has tons of ground clearance.
If it makes you feel any better XP 1000's are lacking at St.anthoy.
You've built a cool toy.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mine has moderate upgrades, but I have not gone big. I also considered portals but resisted. I'll stay run of the mill.
I think I read yours is 70" wide? My aim is to go 68" wide and do a Honda Talon R... in time. I am ready to power up in the future.
Not taking away from yours. (y)

View attachment 647533
You're not taking anything away. The thing about hobbies is we build what works for us and I can appreciate anyone else's build also.

·
Terrain Domination
361 Posts
RZR 570's kick ass. Just ask anyone that tries to keep up with me.

Why I bring Kleenex with me. lol

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
570 4-seater? I didn't know they build one.
I think he's referring to the 570 Ranger 4 seat in the picture. Polaris never sold a 4 seat 570 RZR.

·
Registered
5 Posts
View attachment 647480
I have been in the dunes many times with my 570 and have gotten the same comments from the 1000's ... Damn I can't believe your keeping up, you have been right on our rear the whole time. Just talented I guess.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts