Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep reading that glass is the way to go… but I like the double ott split windshield design. Will I really regret not doing glass?? How about poly for the rear windshield??

·
Premium Member
2019 RZR XP4 1000
186 Posts
I had the Seizmic folding hard coated poly windshield on my Ranger and really liked it. After two years was still very clear and no major scratches and I mostly rode dunes with the Ranger….. but I was super careful and always blew dust off then flushed off with water and lastly used cotton diapers to clean it. I would have gotten the same thing for my RZR if Seizmic offered one but ther don’t.

I now have a glass with a wiper. I like not worrying about it and the wiper is really nice to have. I think now that I’ve had it a while I am glad overall to have real glass now.

imdid do hard coat poly for the rear.

·
Registered
251 Posts
do go poly, or if you do... be very cautious when you clean it... my 2nd ride with mine got mud caked on it, wiped it off, and it looks like I took sandpaper to it. SUATV heavy duty scratch resistant did quite live up to it's name. Go with glass or go open if you run a helmet/goggles.

·
Registered
Polaris 2021 Pro XP 4 Premium
425 Posts
I ride in with a local group southwest AZ and dust is a real issue. I can't say anything about the hard coated poly. But I can say my half poly windshield just plain sucked. It was a massive dust magnet. A PITA to clean without scratching it. When dirty, which was all the time when riding, and the sun hit it at the right angle it was impossible to see through.

Most of the group I ride with have glass windshields, dust and scratches are not a problem. I just purchased a full glass windshield but have yet to install it. I'm hoping for an improvement.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I have a hard coated flip-up windshield and it's great. It lasts a long time if you just get it wet before wiping it. Bonus points for setting up a washer reservoir with a fan pattern spray nozzle and one or two hand operated wipers. I get years and thousands of miles before the scratches get bad enough to make me want to replace it. In the meantime, I get excellent temperature control. If I get too cold I close the windshield. Too hot, I open it. Sometimes I put it in the halfway position so I get some air not not too much. This also really helps with the fogging. I can do all of this without even stopping. I don't have to change clothes when the temperature on a ride changes due to elevation or rain or whatever.

Regarding glass windshields, I've seen two types of them: Freshly installed ones, and cracked ones. Everyone I ride with who has a glass windshield complains about the heat in summer. By the time they get big enough vents in the frame to allow a little bit of air flow, the frame obstructs vision too much.

·
Registered
21 Pro XP Ultimate
97 Posts
I've had two hard coated poly windshields now and I also like the versatility of running them open, partially open or closed depending on temps. I ran one on my Yamaha for 5 years and no problems with it. I have zero experience with glass but would never run one because of the heat. My latest is a Super ATV flip up on this RZR Pro and we've been real happy with it. I've washed them all at the gas station from time to time with the wipers and squeegees at the gas pumps and it's never caused me any issues. I'm careful about how I do it, but I do it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I run too many rocky roads and trails to even think about glass. Just got to be careful with cleaning poly, and it's relatively inexpensive to replace.

·
Yes, I know where we are?
553 Posts
Poly only for me.
Glass breaks too damn easy.
Just use hard coat poly and clean it the way the manufacturer recommends and they last a long time, years for me and I can still see fine through them.

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
Poly half. Glass full. I’m in Oregon and use a hand operated wiper a lot in trails. If you have any decent amount of rain I’d go glass. Unless you want to get out and carefully clean it every 50 feet.

·
Registered
2014 XP 1000 on portals
240 Posts
I don’t like windshields at all. Do just fine with safety glasses, or goggles. Windshields just suck the dust right around the sides. That and you can’t shoot through them without damage.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I like my poly - 3 years in So Az and clear as new. I do wash per instructions. I love the flip up feature - great coverage or completely open and everything in between.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Don't waste one of your hard earned pennies on a poly windshield get a glass one and be done with it. I have had both and glass hands down is better. I have thousands of miles on glass windshields on my last three machines with no problems. I live in Southern Arizona and ride lots of really nasty rough trails with lots of dust everywhere. I have never broken a glass windshield while riding. The only time I ever broke one was taking it off and dropping it. The glass is easily replaced and not super expensive. Dust Dust Dust is going to be a huge problem with a poly windshield. They collect dust like a magnet and every time you clean it you are going to get scratches. With a glass windshield all I have to do is clean it before I go ride and unless I go through water or mud I won't have to clean it for the rest of the day.

·
Registered
'21 Pro XP4 Ultimate Rockford Fosgate LE
225 Posts
The people complaining about dust on the Poly have not used antistatic products. If you clean it with a good antistatic product it is not a problem, frankly changing the polarity of the polymer is easy and can be done with rubbing a laundry sheet on it in a pinch. I personally have used several different types and find the best cleaner and antistatic to be Plexus. It's like anything, if you take proper care of it you'll be fine either way. If there was a glass tip out for these I may be tempted to try one, but the tip out feature is more important to me than the material. Albeit everyone I ride with that has a glass windshield either has cracks or just replaced one.

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
Any and everything has a weakness I guess. Yes poly will scratch. Yes glass can break,( be it not very easily). Both depend on where you ride, and in what weather, and how close you follow other riders. How you care for it. Etc. Just a tiny piece of common sense and thought will give you your answer. I have both. Glass in the winter. Poly half in the summer.
I wouldn’t be concerned with how one person treats something, or can make it last. Or destroy it. There are guys who destroy a machine first ride. Others make the cheapest setup last forever. You do you. Or don’t.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I keep reading that glass is the way to go… but I like the double ott split windshield design. Will I really regret not doing glass?? How about poly for the rear windshield??
UTVzilla.com, just bought their glass with bottom flip up vents and love it. Have had 2 expensive poly windshields and the just don't hold up with all the dust. Glass windshields attract less dust than a poly as well.

·
Registered
2017 900 4 EPS
1 Posts
I have glass and it’s great when it’s cool or raining. I’d love a half windshield when it’s hot out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine came with a Polaris poly windshield a year ago and scratches still aren't really an issue. I ride in north Central pa, I carry a bottle of rainx wash and a couple microfiber towels and clean it about every other stop and I have no complaints

·
Registered
5 Posts
I run the scratch resistant poly from super atv. I wanted glass but with 100+ Temps and black metal roof, there’s no way I can even ride comfortably with a glass one with little vents. I need a flip up completely.. I usually just soak the windshield, then add soapy water then rinse with my power wash, no issues with scratches. There’s anti dust sprays that keep dust off as well..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts