Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Rzr Newbie
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is not too controversial - I would just like to get different opinions or suggestions on letting kids ride in the rzr. They only ride with me, with helmets, and I don't take it over 10 miles an hour. These are leisurely trail rides, looking for wildlife and nature/environment education. Am I being reckless???? Are there any accessories/options out there that would make this safer? My kids are 2, 6, and 10. I'm really new at this, so ANY suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

·
www.rockmidgetphotography
304 Posts
My kids have been riding off road in my 4wds and side by sides since they were 6 months old.

My kids love to wheel hard. No pussy footing around.

I strap them in, helmet them up and peel the hell out.

I would be crushed if I hurt one, but life is dangerous. I believe they are safer jumping in the sxs than going through traffic in rush hour in my wife's Audi.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Take your kids for sure. Why do you have something like this if you don't let your family enjoy it? A long RZR ride is held out for a reward in my house. I can hit the trails from the driveway. Get 100% on a test and we go on a 1 hr ride. Get all A's and it is a trip to St. Anthony. Even my 4 year old loves to go fast. Am I irresponsible no. Do my kids love to catch air and powerslide around a corner. Oh yeah.

·
Registered
633 Posts
My 5 year old son loves the rzr. Helmets are a must for anyone entering my rzr and thats my rule. I don't drive as crazy or take as many chances when my son is in with me or my wife for that matter but if it's just me "LOOK OUT"!
Trail riding is a "Family" activity in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
My boys ride harder than I do.....Of course they are 24 and 20 now.:rofl3:My 20 year old was on his way home from college with a friend of his driving and a semi ran a red light and they t-boned it. This was last friday. The truck driver was not ticketed even after people stopping to tell the cops what happened. So yes he is safer on the trails with the proper safety equipment and no dumb bells running lights. He had his seat belt on and the air bag deployed and he received a broken eye socket and 3 broken bones in his hand. Moral of the story: Spend time with your kids and RIDE. Enjoy them while they are young because you never know. We dodged a bullet this time thank God.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Both my kids love the new machine. They're always asking to go for a ride. They've loved the couple times we've gone out together. Wife sometimes takes them to the bus stop in it. Neighbors think we're crazy :)

·
NOT POLITICALLY CORRECT
1,342 Posts
My 4 year old has been in mine since he was 18 months old. I have/had a aftermarket roll cage, full doors to prevent his little arms from going out of the vehicle and a TS seat with 5 point harness. We travel all around LS dunes here in UT and St. Anthony. We sold old trusty and will be getting a 4 next now that we have a new baby in the house. IF you remember the fastest RZR videos of Gary and Trey's rzr going up the fingers Cole and I have gone down them we do it all

·
Registered
388 Posts
I think it is like any activity. be safe and smart, but have fun.
You are correct sir and common sense will be your best guide everyday of the week.

What I dont like to see in certain situations is the parent that lets the kids have more freedom than they should without supervision.

Or putting little ones in situations when you have to worry too much about the other guy such as overcrowded and unruly riders in the area.

In an offroading enviroment not every driver knows that their is a kid driving and or onboard your machine so the extra courtesy is not there until the rider sees the little guy.

Responsibility is our duty as parents and as other riders when we see kids and they should be able to enjoy this sport just like every other sport and that is why we all should be courteous all the time when were out there....................................................Over:ride:

·
Rzr Newbie
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My boys ride harder than I do.....Of course they are 24 and 20 now.:rofl3:My 20 year old was on his way home from college with a friend of his driving and a semi ran a red light and they t-boned it. This was last friday. The truck driver was not ticketed even after people stopping to tell the cops what happened. So yes he is safer on the trails with the proper safety equipment and no dumb bells running lights. He had his seat belt on and the air bag deployed and he received a broken eye socket and 3 broken bones in his hand. Moral of the story: Spend time with your kids and RIDE. Enjoy them while they are young because you never know. We dodged a bullet this time thank God.
OMG how scary! I hope your son has a quick recovery! And such a good point, we are not assured anything are we? This is what I love about camping/riding. There's no laundry to do, no errands to be run - I spend more quality time with the kids when we camp and ride!

·
Rzr Newbie
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My 4 year old has been in mine since he was 18 months old. I have/had a aftermarket roll cage, full doors to prevent his little arms from going out of the vehicle and a TS seat with 5 point harness. We travel all around LS dunes here in UT and St. Anthony. We sold old trusty and will be getting a 4 next now that we have a new baby in the house. IF you remember the fastest RZR videos of Gary and Trey's rzr going up the fingers Cole and I have gone down them we do it all
Where can I get an aftermarket roll cage and what is a TS seat? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
My 3 year old rides with me around the house and on our trails. We do not take him with us when we got to OHV parks. I see other kids out there. But IMO its just to dangerous for him at his age. There is a pretty good chance of us rolling over not to mention plenty of people drinking and driving. His older brother who is 12 goes with me when he wants to.. I drive the same with him as I do the wife. When my youngest gets a little older probably around 6-7 we plan on taking him with us.

·
Warranty Voider
355 Posts
We have a 2011, with the stock side nets. We spent the last two weekends riding with my 2 year old son sitting on Mom's lap, seat belted in, and hanging on to the passenger bar.
The trails he likes are more like 50" dirt roads with a few 24" hills and a few small rocks, so we just ride them in low, 5-10mph. - Mom will even drive the RZR on those. :)

We are also always behind at least one friend on an ATV/UTV so we're just pulling up the rear. (don't have to worry about the lunatics flying down the trail into us that way).

Now I'm looking into a center seat with a harness so he can have his own 'seat' and be safer. My wife doesn't seem to like his helmet hitting her in the face, so I need to do something.

He absolutely loves it - the RZR has been the best family gift we've gotten ourselves.

New info - Grandpa and Grandma saw our RZR last weekend and how much my son loved it - now they are buying one! I should get a kickback from the dealer! :)

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Lisa, This topic isn't too controversial at all, in fact it really needs to be communicated to everyone who rides.

Educating our kids is our foremost responsibility as parents. They need to know that there is a right way and a wrong way to do anything and that includes off roading.

Helmets and protective gear designed for the activity - dirt bikes, quads, etc. - are just one aspect of the equation.

Nothing wrong with starting them young, just do it right.

jforster, with all due respect, sitting on Mom's lap hanging on to the OS bar isn't the way to go about it. Even at 10 mph try holding on to 50 lbs if someone were to come out of the blue and crash head-on into you.

Can't do it. Someone's going to get hurt, either mom or your son.

Everyone should have their own seat and be belted in.

A great man once said, "All know the way; few actually walk it." :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
My two year old sin rides with me around the farm and on the gravel rodes at my parents place but not on the trails, because I ride the hardest stuff I can find and do not want him hurt. I usally dont ride over about 20 mph and nothing crazy and he loves it, i literally have to pry him out of the seat when its time to get out. LIke someone else said I brought the rzr so i could take my boy with me because riding double on a four wheeler is not safe. When he gets a little older Ill start him on his own fourwheeler and he can learn like I did, Ive been riding my entire life, I cant ever remember not having something to ride.

Take your kids riding thats what it is all about: FAMILY

Raider

·
Warranty Voider
355 Posts
Agreed, Jim. Safety should always come first.

Which is why we currently
1) Ride the 'bunny' trails behind friends (there is no way to get around someone on these trails to 'head on' you)
2) Ride in low gear, 5-10mph while wearing restraints
3) Are looking for a better option, likely a center seat with full restraint for the best protection. I like the rear child seats (with added cage) but not sure how safe that would be in a collision.

I did not say this was the best, nor did I preach this was the way I would recommend to go about riding with your children - I simply elaborated a bit much in response to a question in a thread asking if kids rode with me.

Next time I'll just answer "yes". ;)

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Well IMO people get a little carried away on the safety thing. Common since goes a long way.. The way I look at it my oldest son grew up riding infront of me on a Quad around the house on the same trails my youngest rides in his moms lap sometimes in the RZR. His own seat with belts is better, But its safer then a Quad which just a few years ago was the standard.. Still is for tons of people. A SXS with a a cage is tons safer.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I say start them young and teach them about safety first, seatbelts, helmets, goggles, etc. Make sure they are strapped into the RZR good and have some fun. Common sense comes into play of course, and kids emulate what they see their parents do. Quads, Dirtbikes, and UTV's all all great family fun.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts