Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Can't 'Member.
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man I sure as heck do.

Ain't never been able to buy a truck or other adult toy and just throw $ at it right away to make it perfect. Not in that income bracket, ya know?
Day one with the 2019 Turbo S I was able to swap in the PRP seats and the Dirt engineered doors and some other goodies I kept from the XP1k, that the Turbo S replaced, but then it was time to hold myself in check, ya know?

I decided to do the stuff that either me (bad back) or the car needed before I did the stuff I wanted, LOL. First I did some exhaust mods that helped it breath better but only cost me a couple hours in the shop, and it isn't really much louder at all, you guys get my drift.
I put new Simpson Harnesses in it. Never have liked the stock belts, the fancy new ones are ok...but I like Simpsons. Always have.
Then, I had a custom cage and roof built. Big chunk of change and a wait that was...well lets not go there. Lesson learned.
Then, Eibach springs on all 4 corners.
Recently, a S&B particle Filter.
Now I am getting to where I can do stuff on the outside of the engine, intake improvements and junk the stock Boost relief deal. And there will be no internal argument. It is a nice feeling...strange, but nice.
This is all new to me, I usually start with the stuff that makes me smile, and the stuff that should be done first waits. I am happy that now I can quit arguing with myself...you guys know these conversations, right?

Had them since I was a kid working on my '56 F-100. "Yeah, so what, I know, the rear end howl is getting louder, but man I am getting these new Cragar SS's and T/A radials, she will look soooo sweet, and I can get a 9 inch out of a half ton and get it set up as I have time, and cash. That stock rear end will last if I keep my foot out of it.It has til now, right?"
Grab the tires and wheels. Cool factor rises 25% the instant I pull out of the tire store, my pockets empty.
Rear end explodes the next day.
Dad laughs as the truck gets towed and my friends and I push it into the back yard.

Apparently I did not do that "if "part, keeping foot out of it. (The 11 to 1 cammed, big Holley 390 FE engine under the hood was happy with the tires, the ring gear said no thanks) I am forced to drive the 3 on the tree 6 banger Nova (radio delete) for a couple of months and look at my truck with the cool tires in the back yard. I wash it, shine the wheels, and save my pennies for a rear end build. Shame on me.
This pattern continued for decades.
When I got my new to me truck 5 years ago I was able to begin rehabbing myself. Found a one owner 07 Dodge Ram 3500 crew cab, 4x4 dually long bed 5.9, 6 speed manual trans unmolested truck with 37k on it. Garaged its whole life, a genuine unicorn.
I did some research, and found the stock fuel filtration was sorely lacking on my 5.9 Cummins. So I bought a vastly superior set up, and am now looking forward to my injectors lasting a long time. Heck I really stayed focused. Did the stuff the truck needed. Last srping we installed a Yukon gear free spin kit, the truck now has manual hubs. Over the past month I had some help and put a audio system in it, finally. The JL HD900 amp fired right up after sitting tucked away in my shop for all those years. 5 years for an audio system is unheard of. This has to be a record for me.
Even tho I am old, I still like my music, but I held off, dealt with stuff it needed. The system was worth the wait, tho.

The XP1k in 2014 was a relapse to old self.
Stereo first. Seats, Light Bar, everything, ya know?
I never did get rid of that dang stock cage, it was sold with it.
I listened to the Bad Me.
I have made another run at the straight and narrow with the Turbo S, did the stuff I listed up above, but boy that other guy returned last spring...

Bad me says..."Man look at that cool set of tires and wheels, man those need to go to the top of the list. Think of how cool it will look with those puppies on there, c'mon, man make it happen!!!

Good me says, "knock that crap off fool, get the S&B, help your machine ya big dummy. Stay on track, stay focused. You are going to be driving this thing for a long, long time, there will be plenty of time for the cool stuff, get the important stuff done first. Learn from the mistakes you have been kicking yourself in the butt about for 40 years because you can't keep the bad you in check. This thing is almost where it needs to be then you can start playing with it like you love to do. Focus. Yes the stock wheels look terrible. Live with it."

I bought the S&B.
Very impressed with it, and I know it is a good thing for my car.
As riding season approaches again for us, I am thinking it might be time to move to cool stuff, with little to no guilt. Gonna be fun...and different. But then again, my dually is going to need tires soon, and a smart guy would get them before winter rolls in...
Oh, crap. here we go again :cautious::rolleyes:

Any of you guys go through this deal or am I the only nutcase out here in RZR land?

·
Can't 'Member.
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had 3 sets of wheels and tires for the XP1K, naturally they no workie on the S.
:rolleyes:
Thanks for coming in to the clubhouse, Joe. Nice to know I ain't alone.

Reactions: RZR_Joe

·
Registered
240 Posts
I always have a list in my head of what I'm going to do and just get it done. I have learned over my life there are things I want and things I need. Putting too much money into a toy is just throwing money away. If I bought them to keep for years it may be different, but I know in a year or 2 I'll be on to something new so no sense in spending huge money on it. Plus I have so many hobbies I have to share the wealth;) Just bought a new Yxz, roof, front and rear windshield, exhaust, intake, flash, rear and side mirrors, rear cargo box, fan reverse and fan override switch and I'm done. That is the list of things I "needed" to make me happy with it.

I want a intercom system, seats, nice wheels and tires, stereo, the list goes on. Just don't want to spend the money knowing I'll never get it back and don't need it to be happy with the machine.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I don’t think the good me ever has a choice. Usually just the bad me arguing with my wallet...I start adding safety stuff first. Cage and harnesses then winch then upgrade a arms trailing arms and rods then start looking to add the extras. I’m super happy with my xpt4. Probably have this one a long long time so sky’s the limit eventually. Just spent money on gear reductions for both our RZRs. I think it’s the first time We have spent money to slow down lol.

·
Captain/Paramedic
104 Posts
The bad me wins out everytime. I have so much money invested in my 2016 XPT that i will never be able to get it back. So I will keep it and put more money into it and at some point it will be cost more than my house lol.,

·
Registered
205 Posts
I generally decide I want something and then research the crap out of it and look at lots of pictures and then justify the expense. This method has worked for me so far with my hot rods, off road rigs and other toys. A few weeks later I start in with the next mod. grin....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Last time I did something dumb in my garage (using a jack and chain to bend the bashed factory bump plate away from the transmission in my xpt) I sent my buddy a text: “If this goes wrong, don’t let my wife sell the toys for what I told her I’ve got into them.”

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yep, and I usually win. The scary part is when I argue with myself and don't win. That's a rabbit hole I hope none of you ever go down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts