Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do most people who have RZR, for trail use, change their tires, if they take it on dunes? Or will the same tires work?

I know they make tires just for sand vehicles but I'm wondering how necessary that really is. Or does it depend on the type of sand and the type of vehicle.

The dunes I'm particularly wondering about are the ones in Moses Lake Dunes area, but my question applies to sand in general.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I have paddles & smoothies for the dunes & to me it's worth it! It really just comes down to how hard you want to dune! If you're into duning & duning hard sand tires are $$$ well spent! If you just want to go cruise @ & do some mild duning them probably not worth it!

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I have sand tires, but like you I wonder if I realy need them as I have drove at Waynoka with the big horns and then swiched out to my paddles and not sure I could tell a differance. The sand that day had moistier in it.... I do know my dune star set up is lighter and may work better when the sand is dry and powdery.... I'm new to duning this year and am still learning. Thank you to the RZRForums!!!! This place is my RZR Bible..

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I have paddles & smoothies for the dunes & to me it's worth it! It really just comes down to how hard you want to dune! If you're into duning & duning hard sand tires are $$$ well spent! If you just want to go cruise @ & do some mild duning them probably not worth it!
Good point!!! The senario I was talking about I guess we were just cruising around. When running hard and using your sand tires --- 2 wd or 4wd?
I'm a newbee :ride:

·
Premium Member
1,418 Posts
I have sand tires, I have drove at Waynoka with the big horns and then switched out to my paddles and not sure I could tell a difference. ..
big horns do surprisingly well in the sand,,,,used to run them on my old ride,,,,I have paddles for the rear only at this time.....my stockers are the BajaCross which are not very a good sand tire

·
hey ya'll watch this....
1,304 Posts
I just bought a sand tire set-up (this last trip to Lil Sahara Okla).. I only go the dunes bout once a year, Im selling these at a loss cause I really dont think I need these once a year compared to useing my standard tires.. They work just fine for me I think, Im sticking to my Bighorns and spending my $$ on comfy seats :)

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Good point!!! The senario I was talking about I guess we were just cruising around. When running hard and using your sand tires --- 2 wd or 4wd?
I'm a newbee :ride:
I run 2wd only, if I didn't ride in CO I would take my front diff out for weight savings! I am running a XP & I've heard that the 800 do better in 4wd!

·
Registered
813 Posts
I consistently run 8 mph faster up Olds hill in AWD with my Doonz paddles.I think AWD is a no brainer in sand.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I consistently run 8 mph faster up Olds hill in AWD with my Doonz paddles.I think AWD is a no brainer in sand.
It actually slowed my xp down in AWD with my extremes! I tried it several different times, I really dont understand it but that's what I expeirienced!

·
Registered
813 Posts
It actually slowed my xp down in AWD with my extremes! I tried it several different times, I really dont understand it but that's what I expeirienced!
My Doonz seem to float more then dig in.........which is the key aspect you want in a dune tire.It blows my mind how people bash Doonz paddles.I would not own another brand/paddle for my RZR-S.

·
Registered
431 Posts
FWIW all the Razor rentals in St Anthony are running Bighorns. Bighorns worked exceptionally well on my quads in dirt, mud, rocks so that is what I put on my Razor. Haven't had them in the sand yet.

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
RZR 4 800,

I too run the Doonz 7 paddle in TWD, AWD slows me down.

IMO, I beleive the Maxxis Bighorns do exceptionaly well in sand, a good all around tire.
If you will be in the dunes all the time get paddles. On ocation bighorns will be fine.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I went to Glamis the first time in my life last spring. Had the stock Maxxis tires that came on my 2010 50" RZR LE. Had no problems at all in the dunes. I definitely had to use AWD once in a while on some of the big hills, but overall no problems.

I think if sand is just a once in a while thing just stick with your tires you have now.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
moses lake sand (which is where the op dunes) has alot of ash from mt st helens eruption years ago. way different than oregon. dusty and semi hardpack.

·
Banned
5,672 Posts
I'm no expert in RZR riding sand but pretty sure there is a difference.
Sand in Vegas is very different than the sand locally and at Badlands.
Round here it has a clay like nature to it and course. i.e. bighorns like it. But we are by no means duning.
Sand in Vegas, sharing the fence with Nellis Air Force Base, is more like a soft beach. Granted it isnt miles on end. You need Bighorns because the washes and hardpack is on the way back to your trailer.
About to go to try Silver Lake Dunes in Michigan on 1.0 Bighorns.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I am no expert either but I have been to the Oregon Dunes and St Anthony. Seemed to me the sand at OD was softer, more powdery..........

1 - 19 of 19 Posts