Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have around 1,700 miles on my RZR XP and the manual says to change it after 1,000 miles. I am wondering if I should change my belt just to be safe, so I dont break down out on a trail.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I have 3200+ miles on my original belt and still going strong. I'm only just now considering buying a new one to carry as a spare, I wont mount it until the factory one shows some kind of sign that it's starting to go bad or does. It only takes like 15 minutes to change them even on the trailside if they break as long as you carry a small tool kit with the right tools. Only takes a couple of tools to change it. Make sure you have the spring adjustment/clutch tool that should have came with your XP. I have noticed some dealers take them out of the paperwork bag before delivery to the customer. No idea why other than they can sell you one later on for $7 or think it will make you bring it back to them to change your belt.

G

·
Id change it and carry the old as a spare. You DONT want to wait until the belt fails to change it..changing a belt is easy..cleaning up and getting all the pieces and strands of a failed belt out is usually a nightmare..not to mention the belt breaking can wreck the cover...also the belt threads can wrap around the crank and trans input shaft and ruin the seals
The belt can last 10,000 miles..but IMO keeping a eye on it and changing it out (again keep the old ones as spares if they look ok) is just cheap insurance. If you think you can tell when it's getting ready to fail so you can change it before it does..keep riding it..But inspect it often and know what you are looking at.
Not trying to scare you..but a belt isn't a run it until it fails item IMO..sometimes you get lucky..sometimes you don't.

G

·
It says to break it in for 10 hours and not drive fast, is that really necessary?
Actually i think Polaris says something crazy like 25 hours dont they? Maybe they changed it. I know Can-Am says 10. That's another reason I change them and keep the old as a spare..so I have a good broken in spare lol. What I do is Clean the clutches with alcohol, wash the new belt hot soapy water( Dawn)and let it dry completely. Install it and heat cycle a belt a few short rides with normal flat ground riding..no full throttle, no towing or extended high speeds..just a normal cruise around with normal slowing down, stopping and speeding up..maybe 2 hours total.. then I let 'ER rip..no science to my break procedure but it's served me well.

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
I have 2500 miles on my belt and is running strong. No need to change it unless it is out of spec. At $180 a belt no point in changing out just because.

As for break in there is no real need. The key is not to run wide open for long periods of time for first hour or two. The best way to break in is just drive normal on off throttle often. That is how I always run my sleds and there is a lot bigger load on those in the snow than the rzr in the dirt and I haven't lost a belt yet.

·
Registered
882 Posts
What HO said is right, though I tend to take it easy more for the first 5-10 hours, but around here that is only one full days ride. It's also important to use both High and Low ranges some during the break in period and take off smoothly. Even after its broken in it's important to always use Low Range when your about to start off up a steep hill. You don't have to put it in low if your aproaching the hill and already have your speed up and will be able to make it all the way to the top without luging down, but if your gonna have to creep up the hill and definatally if you have to stop on the hill, be sure to use low range. The manual says use low range anytime your under 10mph but I find that a little excessive if your just cruising around on flat or mild terrain, I rarely use low on flat or mild terrain unless I am just really creeping along, like under 5 mph. Definatally want to use it if your up and down even smaller hills under 8-10 mph though.

G

·
I have 2500 miles on my belt and is running strong. No need to change it unless it is out of spec. At $180 a belt no point in changing out just because.
It's not wasted money..keep the used belt as a spare..that way you break the new one in on your terms versus while out on the trail..if you do t have a spare belt( ie you really need to have to have at least 2 belts anyway..one spare) then you are asking to be stuck somewhere unnecessarily. Change it while it's still good and then if you need to throw it on because you toast a belt so be it..nothing wasted.

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
It's not wasted money..keep the used belt as a spare..that way you break the new one in on your terms versus while out on the trail..if you do t have a spare belt( ie you really need to have to have at least 2 belts anyway..one spare) then you are asking to be stuck somewhere unnecessarily. Change it while it's still good and then if you need to throw it on because you toast a belt so be it..nothing wasted.
I just tend to keep a new spare so I don't have to change it twice if I did blow a belt. I can use put the new spare on and then buy another new one for another spare vs. Changing out then used spare after I get home with a new belt.

G

·
I just tend to keep a new spare so I don't have to change it twice if I did blow a belt. I can use put the new spare on and then buy another new one for another spare vs. Changing out then used spare after I get home with a new belt.
I hear ya..changing a belt before it blows is easy. I rotate them often enough that my spares don't have to be changed when I get home..but I get no everyone will want to do that. Makes my life easier in my mind lol..deal with a shredded belt mess in the middle of the night when it's pitch black and freezing an it can make you a little cautious,.maybe overly so :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
They are a breeze on the xp's. Easy to get compared to the 800. I'd wait till it shows signs of failing personally.
Get a new one tho and be ready. Soak it really good in Dawn Dish soap as mentioned before to get the shine off of it. That's really what's needed during the break in. Helps speed up the process.

Have to change them out when sledding all the time and its usually down in a deep hole or bottom of a drainage. They always fail at the most inopportune time. Then you are runnin the crap out of it to get back out. Talk about "break in" :) Sounds good in theory but in practice you really can't do it.

I break mine in in a plastic tub :rofl3:

G

·
Thats the way I am. When I carry a spare I want a new one and only want to have to change it once if the old one fails.
You'd probably change your tune if you you rode alone and miles from a real road :) Like I said changing a belt is easy in the shop..once it shreds not so much. Not a big deal if you have someone to tow you home I guess.. :)

G

·
They are a breeze on the xp's. Easy to get compared to the 800. I'd wait till it shows signs of failing personally.
Get a new one tho and be ready. Soak it really good in Dawn Dish soap as mentioned before to get the shine off of it. That's really what's needed during the break in. Helps speed up the process.

Have to change them out when sledding all the time and its usually down in a deep hole or bottom of a drainage. They always fail at the most inopportune time. Then you are runnin the crap out of it to get back out. Talk about "break in" :) Sounds good in theory but in practice you really can't do it.

I break mine in in a plastic tub :rofl3:
Exactly why change them before they fail if at all possible..my spare IS broken in :)

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
I wouldn't run it till it failed, but will run it till it is out of spec then change it. There are quite a few people with over 5000 miles on stock belt still within spec. Main reason a belt blows is heat and seems if you keep it stock the clutch stays cool enough to get that many miles

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just got a new to me used rig today. I have changed an exploded belt on the trail for a buddy of mine and I don't want that to be me.

The new ride came with a used belt under the hood, but I want a new one for a spare in the truck tool box.....what are you guys buying for a replacement? Napa has two belts by G-Force available for about $45 and OE is an obvious possiblity. What is best for a stock rig that will play in the woods/dezert/and sand a little?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Whats the best way to store a belt to keep it from drying out and cracking? wont they go bad after a year or so being exposed to the elements?

·
glamisdunes*****
3,644 Posts
Napa has two belts by G-Force available for about $45 and OE is an obvious possiblity. What is best for a stock rig that will play in the woods/dezert/and sand a little?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts