Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock 2010 RZR 800 when I make (mostly ) left turns there is a bad "thumping" noise coming from the back (I want to say its the left side but maybe the center), I've replaced both back axels and no change. Could this be the that nut backing off in the diff I've been reading about (the one that needs 300ftlbs of tight). I read about this nut is an issue and people tightening them but no one has talked about symptoms of this problem. I Jacked up the rear and when I rotate the rear wheels by hand it doesn't role smooth, almost like a flat spot is the best I can describe it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
From my understanding there rarely is any sign until it's to late. If you aren't sure I'd not run it until you change the nut. Its under $100 to know its good.
Puller Guy has a thread in the 800 section that has a lot of information about them and him and his gang are very up on all the details. They have sets of tools all around the country you can have sent to you and detailed instructions to walk you through it. Originally I got his tools and parts from him. We had 5 of them to do in our group so I did part with his tools and then built a set to finish due to time frame and not wanting his tied up. If his are tied up mine are available, just let me know.
If you explode the diff you're looking at $1500.00 or more for a new one. My buddy was without a machine for a couple months waiting for one, with the Covid scamdemic probably 3 times longer if you can even get one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it primarily noticeable on pavement? Less noticeable or not at all on gravel or grass?
Yes, it started last year ( I use this around the house and to plow in the winter) I changed the driver side axle and it did not go away. I thought maybe i just heard it wrong and needed to change the passenger side but winter came in so I plowed with it over the winter and I just changed the passenger side last week and no change but yes it is more noticeable on pavement and has gotten worse since last year when I first noticed it
Thanks again for any help

·
Registered
308 Posts
Diagnosing over the internet is never exact so I'll use the disclaimer that this is my opinion. I have had 1 rear diff fail on me. You don't hear about "symptoms" because typically there aren't any. Once the nut is loose, it will quickly come off the shaft, it sounded like I had rocks tumbling around in my diff and boom out the side of the case it came in less than 20 seconds.

The shaft is supposed to be shimmed to a specific position against the ring. If your nut is loose or too tight I would think it would make sounds during the entire rotation and not flat spot when turning. The only way to tell is to take it out and see. I wouldn't wait to dig in. If you do it will cost you a lot more and it will eventually fail.

A clicking when turning is typically a cv joint. Were the axles you used as replacements a heavy duty version? The 2011 axles and later are smaller/weaker than the earlier versions. A HD axle is built to withstand greater angles.

Do you have a lift kit on it? What is the preload like on your springs? If you are putting more pressure on the CV joints the can wear out fast even if you replaced them.

Could this be a wheel bearing? Have you checked your rear brakes? Both of these can cause noise when turning.

·
Registered
311 Posts
It’s common on the 800 to hear a clicking when making turns and it’s way more pronounced on pavement since the tires are scuffing since the majority of our rides don’t actually have a rear differential. It’s just a gearbox. With a differential, when you turn to the left, the differential sends more power/RPMs to the right side and less to the left side since the right side (in a left turn) needs to turn farther. The negative to a differential is on slick surfaces, the differential sends power to the path of least resistance which is why one wheel spins and one remains stationary. But, since most of our RZRs use a rear gearbox and not a differential, there is more strain on the inside on any turn....and pavement makes it worse since there is more traction on pavement.

Mine does the same thing. My differential is in good shape as well as my cv joints. Don’t worry about it.

Now if your RZR is affected by the pinion nut issue, you still should get that taken care of.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I also have a clunking sound from the rear on my 09 Rzr 800 but only when I turn to the right. It's a much deeper sound than the clicking when an axle is going bad. It happened on my original rear gearcase and again on the new replacement I bought 2 years ago, within a thousand miles. I think the cause of my issues is the tires I put on my Rzr. They're Tusk Terrabites and they have incredible traction. I love the tires but unfortunately, they really grip the pavement which we ride on a fair amount every year in Quartzsite, AZ. I think they're putting too much stress on the gearcase. I've spent most of the last month trying to repair the rear gearcases. I've opened them up, replaced the axle bearings and races and reshimmed the ring gear multiple time to eliminate the excessive backlash but the clunk is still there. I've removed and installed the gear case 4 times in the last couple of weeks. I gave up yesterday and ordered a new rear gearcase. I'm also looking at replacing the Terrabites with a regular UTV tire, like the GBC Dirt Commanders. I have a 2" lift kit on my Rzr and 2" spacers all around.

What you describe sounds just like I've experienced with mine. It sounds like you run on pavement a lot. What kind of tires are you running? Do you have a lift kit? I can't tell you your gearcase will fail any time now. I ran the first gearcase 3 years with the noise and the second 2 years. Both times I've decided to replace it when I wanted to do a long trip - the Peace Trail the first time and a long ride this time. By the way, Bikebandit.com has the best price on rear gearcases for my Rzr by nearly $400. It really pays to shop around.
Gary 09 Rzr 800 over 8,000 miles on the odometer

·
RZR Newbie
27 Posts
Is it possible that you might have a tire rubbing on the frame causing the noise you describe? I know that with spring spacers and the simple shock mount 1.5 inch lift on my 2009 LE, the outer knobbies of my rear Ripsaw tires were contacting the frame on the passenger side near the front of the wheel arch. Problem went away when I put one inch wheel spacers on the rear. If your tires are close to the frame, a little looseness in the suspension could shift them just enough to where they come in contact with the frame when you go around a corner while driving on pavement.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey Guys. In my last post in this thread I said:

"By the way, Bikebandit.com has the best price on rear gearcases for my Rzr by nearly $400. It really pays to shop around."

I made the purchase Friday night after doing cursory checks of the reviews which numbered in the thousands and were 4+. Monday I received some follow up emails that I thought a bit odd. This morning I received an email that the gearcase had been shipped. I thought that was really odd because it said 2 to 3 weeks before shipping. Uncomfortable now, I checked the tracking number and it came up invalid. I went back to check the reviews I looked at Friday night much more closely. Turns out that most of the posted reviews during 2020 were awful; orders not shipping, cancelled orders and returns not being credited, terrible customer support, etc. Problems caused by Covid? Possibly. I called my credit card company this morning and told them all of this. They said I have to wait 7 to 10 days before any action can be taken. If not received by then they'll take it as a non-shipment and reverse the charge.

So, as embarrassed as I am, I want to warn you all that my post was definitely premature and to look closely at the company before you purchase anything. I'll update this if I receive the gearcase or if it gets reversed.

Gary

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Guys. In my last post in this thread I said:

"By the way, Bikebandit.com has the best price on rear gearcases for my Rzr by nearly $400. It really pays to shop around."

I made the purchase Friday night after doing cursory checks of the reviews which numbered in the thousands and were 4+. Monday I received some follow up emails that I thought a bit odd. This morning I received an email that the gearcase had been shipped. I thought that was really odd because it said 2 to 3 weeks before shipping. Uncomfortable now, I checked the tracking number and it came up invalid. I went back to check the reviews I looked at Friday night much more closely. Turns out that most of the posted reviews during 2020 were awful; orders not shipping, cancelled orders and returns not being credited, terrible customer support, etc. Problems caused by Covid? Possibly. I called my credit card company this morning and told them all of this. They said I have to wait 7 to 10 days before any action can be taken. If not received by then they'll take it as a non-shipment and reverse the charge.

So, as embarrassed as I am, I want to warn you all that my post was definitely premature and to look closely at the company before you purchase anything. I'll update this if I receive the gearcase or if it gets reversed.

Gary
Thanks for the heads up, let us know what happens

1 - 12 of 12 Posts