Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2011 RZR 800 EPS LE trail 50
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s up RZR nuts looking for some experienced advice either learned the hard way or by experimenting. We’ve got a mint 11 800 trail just hit 800 miles with 145hrs on it . It’s my first rzr had 4wheeler or dirt bikes my whole life and still have my 4trax. First thing I realized was ours is like a golf kart compared to our buddies we ride with, now after factory skid plate ripped off and replaced with a full length aluminum one and some extra A-arm protection still having issues. I first turned up shocks to highest setting added the mentioned aluminum skid plate and did okay for couple rides . This past weekend had to cross a creek that was a little up from all the rain last week and smacked a rock I couldn’t see stopped us dead in tracks! Thought all was fine backed up got around to other side stopped and realized I could see ground through the floor board again ! Luckily walked creek and found front portion of skid plate and was able to attach with middle bolts and giant zip ties up front and finished day out and didn’t damage anything .

So where I’m at buying some new skid plate washers larger self tappers to replace the stripped out ones first. Would love to know the options you trail model owners have gone with to improve clearance . It’s still on stock size rims/tires with 2inch spacers on rear wheels
( tried those spacers to make a little less flippy). Any tips tricks advice etc .. would be greatly appreciated !

Here’s what I’m working with:
Rectangle Wood Groundcover Grass Grassland
Tire Wheel Photograph Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Rectangle Tints and shades Gas Symmetry Automotive exterior

Before and after turning shocks up: did help a little before the basket ball wouldn’t roll under and clear .

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Hood

Then past weekend back under it bush fixing skid plate again lol
Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Vehicle

Tire Car Wheel Plant Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

How she normally looks till the weekend
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Cloud Car

Motor vehicle Gauge Automotive lighting Measuring instrument Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gauge Automotive design Automotive wheel system

Attachments

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Yea the trail model is limited to what you can do to it for clearance unless you get Rhino axles and lift it up or convert it to an S model.I've sunk a lot of unnecessary money into mine trying to gain clearance,such a waste. I just put 2 inch spacers on and aftermarket gas shocks. Only at 11 inches which isn't much but it goes through anything. I found the stock skid plate is good enough protection. I've banged on rocks,ruts,stumps and everything else with no damage. As for skid plate replacement bolts I just used bigger self tapping screws and washers.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Get some good steel doors. Way better with steel doors. Nice machine with very low miles. Mine only had 1200 miles and was beat to all hell and pretty much had to rebuild and troubleshoot the whole damn thing. Check your filter often. Stock intakes suck and can dust your motor. That's mostly why I snorkeled mine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yea the trail model is limited to what you can do to it for clearance unless you get Rhino axles and lift it up or convert it to an S model.I've sunk a lot of unnecessary money into mine trying to gain clearance,such a waste. I just put 2 inch spacers on and aftermarket gas shocks. Only at 11 inches which isn't much but it goes through anything. I found the stock skid plate is good enough protection. I've banged on rocks,ruts,stumps and everything else with no damage. As for skid plate replacement bolts I just used bigger self tapping screws and washers.
I unfortunately on first ride I had it on ripped the stock skid plate clean off backwards and it folded underto about half way drug it all the way back to the truck lol so upgrade was impossible to avoid . So you sayingif going to anything just convert to a S ? My problem is my trailer is perfect fit I bet I don’t have 2inches on either side . Think larger wheels and tires would help much?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like those A arm guards. How much do those run?
Pretty sure these are them . Saying 89 but I’m sure they are sold as a pair . Think I messaged seller last time to make sure I’d do that If you buy them.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I unfortunately on first ride I had it on ripped the stock skid plate clean off backwards and it folded underto about half way drug it all the way back to the truck lol so upgrade was impossible to avoid . So you sayingif going to anything just convert to a S ? My problem is my trailer is perfect fit I bet I don’t have 2inches on either side . Think larger wheels and tires would help much?
Yes it will help and give you a little more clearance. Thing is you need forward arched a arms in front to clear anything bigger than 27 inch tires. Even with big tires without lift you won't gain a whole lot without lift. Gets expensive and if I'm going to invest in all that it takes to gain minimal clearance then I would buy another machine or convert.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Pretty sure these are them . Saying 89 but I’m sure they are sold as a pair . Think I messaged seller last time to make sure I’d do that If you buy them.
Nice! Those are not that pricey. I think I'm going to get me some of those.

·
Registered
2009 RZR 800 EFI
6 Posts
I have an '09 800 that started as a 50" model. I have done a bit to it, to increase clearance from less than a belly-dragging 8" on 27" tires to 13" on 29" tires; a lot of it with SuperATV parts. Using a set of RZR 1000 take-off 29" tires on 14" wheels, I have a 1.5"-3" lift kit, high-clearance A-arms with 1.5" forward offset, 3.5" of spacers on each wheel, Progressive Suspension heavy-duty shocks all around, Rhino 2.0 front axles, and a half-inch plastic skid plate. The motor and clutches are stock, and I may look into using 'S' take-offs to make it wider than the current 57". It goes a lot of places, just not very fast, and I've flopped it on the side once. Still, I get a lot of comments that I get through many challenging sections with less difficulty because of the shorter wheelbase and narrower track.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Sky
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have an '09 800 that started as a 50" model. I have done a bit to it, to increase clearance from less than a belly-dragging 8" on 27" tires to 13" on 29" tires; a lot of it with SuperATV parts. Using a set of RZR 1000 take-off 29" tires on 14" wheels, I have a 1.5"-3" lift kit, high-clearance A-arms with 1.5" forward offset, 3.5" of spacers on each wheel, Progressive Suspension heavy-duty shocks all around, Rhino 2.0 front axles, and a half-inch plastic skid plate. The motor and clutches are stock, and I may look into using 'S' take-offs to make it wider than the current 57". It goes a lot of places, just not very fast, and I've flopped it on the side once. Still, I get a lot of comments that I get through many challenging sections with less difficulty because of the shorter wheelbase and narrower track. View attachment 696902 View attachment 696902
Looks sharp!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have an '09 800 that started as a 50" model. I have done a bit to it, to increase clearance from less than a belly-dragging 8" on 27" tires to 13" on 29" tires; a lot of it with SuperATV parts. Using a set of RZR 1000 take-off 29" tires on 14" wheels, I have a 1.5"-3" lift kit, high-clearance A-arms with 1.5" forward offset, 3.5" of spacers on each wheel, Progressive Suspension heavy-duty shocks all around, Rhino 2.0 front axles, and a half-inch plastic skid plate. The motor and clutches are stock, and I may look into using 'S' take-offs to make it wider than the current 57". It goes a lot of places, just not very fast, and I've flopped it on the side once. Still, I get a lot of comments that I get through many challenging sections with less difficulty because of the shorter wheelbase and narrower track. View attachment 696902 View attachment 696902
Awesome set up!!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Very nice set up. Need some steel doors on that baby now.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Has to be a pair or they would specify order right or left I would think. Thanks for the link! Just ordered a set for my 2014 50 inch. Mine has a 2 inch lift and 26 inch tires. A riding buddy has a 2010 50 inch on stock size tires and I get over stuff he gets stuck on top of quite often.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Has to be a pair or they would specify order right or left I would think. Thanks for the link! Just ordered a set for my 2014 50 inch. Mine has a 2 inch lift and 26 inch tires. A riding buddy has a 2010 50 inch on stock size tires and I get over stuff he gets stuck on top of quite often.
Awesome ! The A-arm guards have done great had them for two seasons you’ll love them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Awesome ! The A-arm guards have done great had them for two seasons you’ll love them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I ordered those A arm guards as well. Thx for the link. I also ordered a set of extended fender flares. This thing flings so much mud and way worse with wheel spacers. Now I'll be able to use my glass windshield anywhere.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts