Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

Registered
i got the polaris 73 qt storage box , molded to fit in the bed with no waisted space , easy to remove if need be , water/dust proof , and a heavy duty high end cooler from walmart , i can see out of the rearview mirror with no problem .

Registered
2022 RZR Pro XP4
i got the polaris 73 qt storage box , molded to fit in the bed with no waisted space , easy to remove if need be , water/dust proof , and a heavy duty high end cooler from walmart , i can see out of the rearview mirror with no problem .
Yup, they are nice. That's exactly what I had before I sold it and went to the packout setup. I carry the exact same things in the lower two boxes that I did in my Polaris box. The difference is that I can actually find things because it's not just one big jumbled mess. The Polaris box was about 3/4 full but finding anything sucked and once I pulled something out everything fell down around it and I had to move stuff around to put stuff back in..... 馃し

Registered
I do like the flexibility of Packout and ability to configure your load. Also the ability to use the packout gear for other purposes when not riding.

I am interested to hear what kind of load out everyone is running with their packout gear. I know it would be a great setup to haul tools, but what tools are people typically carrying? What else besides tools and snacks?

Registered
Nice looking setups guys!

Registered
2022 Pro XP
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I'm loving all the variations of the packout installs here. That half plate is great!

I've wanted to add a packout cooler but all the reviews I've read say the insulation is poor. How are you guys finding it? Is there still ice on day 2?

Registered
2022 RZR Pro XP4
It's not amazing but also not terrible. You definitely won't have ice after 5 days, but two, yes.
I like to put some ice in it the day before a trip to cool down the inside a bit, and always put whatever you are bringing in the refrigerator for at least a day before putting it in the cooler. You don't want to waste ice cooling down the inside of the cooler and cooling down room temperature drinks, etc...

Registered
Since buying our Pro XP a few months ago we've been on the hunt for a storage solution for the rear cargo area. I got tired of strapping down my Husky totes and having to remove the straps every time we wanted into the totes for a snack, recovery gear, or tools. I similarly have a hard time paying for a machine specific storage bin when I know I'll sell this rig and move onto the next one in a few years.

Through searching online for solutions I kept being drawn to the Milwaukee Packout system which worked with the custom CNC mounts some of the manufacturers are putting out. It was at this time I stumbled upon a post of another user who had started to modify Milwaukee's own mounting base. Unfortunately this user doesn't appear to be active so I couldn't get any further info on the mods they made and whether it was successful. So for the benefit of all I decided to sacrifice one of my Packout mounts and start drilling holes in my rear storage bin in hopes that I could come up with a solution that would be super cost effective and work for anyone else looking to go down this path.

To complete this you're going to need some very basic materials and tools which are all available at Home Depot.

Materials:
  1. Milwaukee Tool PACKOUT Wall and Floor Mounting Plate - These are about $41 CAD / $35 USD and available at Home Depot with free shipping or wherever else you buy your Milwaukee tools
  2. 8 x 1.5" 1/4 stainless head bolts
  3. 16 x 1/4 stainless washers
  4. 8 x 1/4 stainless lock nuts

Tools:
  1. Drill with 1/4" drill bit
  2. Two 7/16 sockets OR one 7/16 socket and one 7/16 wrench
  3. Circular saw OR Jig Saw OR Sawzall OR Hacksaw (a saw to cut the polymer mounting plate)
  4. Side cutters, or a router, or a nail heated with a torch (used to remove small material from the bottom side of rear storage bin)
  5. Torx T40 bit (removing the rear storage bin)
  6. 10mm socket (to remove bolts from heat shield on bottom of rear storage bin)
  7. Linesman pliers OR vice grips, or channel locks (to remove the long chrome rod from the Milwaukee Tool PACKOUT Wall and Floor Mounting Plate)

Steps to complete:
  1. Remove the rear storage bin from your Pro XP (there are four torx bolts at the rear of the storage bin)
  2. Turn your rear storage bin upside down and remove the three bolts holding the heat shield on. Set aside the heat shield and bolts for reinstall later.
  3. Place your rear storage bin in upright orientation on the floor or bench to continue the next steps.
  4. With your pliers grip one of the long chrome rods and begin to wiggle it free. This rod is pressed in (not threaded) it will come out with a bit of effort but is not too difficult to pull out. See image below with rods circled in red.
  5. Slide the Milwaukee Tool PACKOUT Wall and Floor Mounting Plate into the rear storage bin at the rear where it will be mounted. Since the rear storage bin is tapered it will stop after only going down a few inches. Use the inner edge of the storage bin as a straight edge and draw your cutting lines onto the Milwaukee Tool PACKOUT Wall and Floor Mounting Plate. It is better to trim less than you need multiple times then to trim too much. See my pictures below (with yellow circles) for how much I trimmed from the mount. You can use this as a guide for what you will need to take off.
  6. Once you have trimmed enough from the four corners of the Milwaukee Tool PACKOUT Wall and Floor Mounting Plate and it is sitting flat in the bottom of the storage bin you can begin drilling holes to bolt it down. I have highlighted which holes to use in green in the picture below.
  7. After you have drilled the 8 holes, remove the Milwaukee Tool PACKOUT Wall and Floor Mounting Plate, and flip the rear storage bin upside down. You will now need to remove some material from the bottom side to allow for the washers and lock nuts to fit. See picture below with the blue circles. Not all holes will require material removal and it will be obvious which ones do. You just need enough room to get the washer and nut on the bolt as well as a socket on the nut to hold it during the next step.
  8. Reinsert the Milwaukee Tool PACKOUT Wall and Floor Mounting Plate, install the mounting hardware with one washer on top and one on the bottom.
  9. Reinstall the heat shield to the bottom of the rear storage bin
  10. Reinstall the rear storage bin back into your RZR
  11. Crack your well deserved beer 馃嵑

Photos:

Step 4 - Removal of chrome rods from Milwaukee Tool PACKOUT Wall and Floor Mounting Plate:
View attachment 695218

Step 5 - Areas to trim from Milwaukee Tool PACKOUT Wall and Floor Mounting Plate:
View attachment 695216

Step 6 - Holes to drill in rear storage bin:
View attachment 695217

Step 7 - Areas to trim on bottom of rear storage bin:
View attachment 695219

Final results:
View attachment 695220

View attachment 695221

Bonus tip, I found that Milwaukee offers one of their toolboxes with foam. This allows you to create custom cutouts for your more expensive or delicate items that need to be firmly supported. This could work for tools, camera gear, etc... and the toolbox also has a weatherproof sealing gasket. The Milwaukee Model # for this specific toolbox is: 48-22-8450

View attachment 695222

In total the start to finish install took about 45 minutes. It is super simple and anyone could do this if they have the basic tools listed above! Any questions feel free to reach out.
Is there enough room for a small cooler with the pack outs in there

Registered
2022 Pro XP
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Is there enough room for a small cooler with the pack outs in there

Hey, yes there sure is!

There's a specific size cooler that works really well. I'll post up more details later but it's the Ozark Trail from Walmart. There's a couple others that will fit but I can't remember the brands.

Just out running errands at the moment but will post the pics of the cooler in with the packouts.

Having a cooler fit in with the packouts was one of my main goals with this setup as I hadn't read good reviews on the Milwaukee cooler previously.

Registered
2022 Pro XP
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Here are the pics of the cooler mounted in with the packouts.

The cooler mounts from inside the lid so it can be opened without removal or straps. I use 2 black rubber bungee cords and because it is a friction fit in the opening between the packout mount and the rear of the storage bin there is zero movement.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

Registered
thats the ice chest i have , fits perfect with the polaris 73 qt box , also put 2 chairs through the coolers handle , and can still see out of the rear view mirror , spare tire above cooler/box .

Registered
2022 Pro XP
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
thats the ice chest i have , fits perfect with the polaris 73 qt box , also put 2 chairs through the coolers handle , and can still see out of the rear view mirror , spare tire above cooler/box .
Can you share some details on the chair/handle setup?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts