Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Registered
2022 Pro XP
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since buying our Pro XP a few months ago we've been on the hunt for a storage solution for the rear cargo area. I got tired of strapping down my Husky totes and having to remove the straps every time we wanted into the totes for a snack, recovery gear, or tools. I similarly have a hard time paying for a machine specific storage bin when I know I'll sell this rig and move onto the next one in a few years.

Through searching online for solutions I kept being drawn to the Milwaukee Packout system which worked with the custom CNC mounts some of the manufacturers are putting out. It was at this time I stumbled upon a post of another user who had started to modify Milwaukee's own mounting base. Unfortunately this user doesn't appear to be active so I couldn't get any further info on the mods they made and whether it was successful. So for the benefit of all I decided to sacrifice one of my Packout mounts and start drilling holes in my rear storage bin in hopes that I could come up with a solution that would be super cost effective and work for anyone else looking to go down this path.

To complete this you're going to need some very basic materials and tools which are all available at Home Depot.

Materials:
  1. Milwaukee Tool PACKOUT Wall and Floor Mounting Plate - These are about $41 CAD / $35 USD and available at Home Depot with free shipping or wherever else you buy your Milwaukee tools
  2. 8 x 1.5" 1/4 stainless head bolts
  3. 16 x 1/4 stainless washers
  4. 8 x 1/4 stainless lock nuts

Tools:
  1. Drill with 1/4" drill bit
  2. Two 7/16 sockets OR one 7/16 socket and one 7/16 wrench
  3. Circular saw OR Jig Saw OR Sawzall OR Hacksaw (a saw to cut the polymer mounting plate)
  4. Side cutters, or a router, or a nail heated with a torch (used to remove small material from the bottom side of rear storage bin)
  5. Torx T40 bit (removing the rear storage bin)
  6. 10mm socket (to remove bolts from heat shield on bottom of rear storage bin)
  7. Linesman pliers OR vice grips, or channel locks (to remove the long chrome rod from the Milwaukee Tool PACKOUT Wall and Floor Mounting Plate)

Steps to complete:
  1. Remove the rear storage bin from your Pro XP (there are four torx bolts at the rear of the storage bin)
  2. Turn your rear storage bin upside down and remove the three bolts holding the heat shield on. Set aside the heat shield and bolts for reinstall later.
  3. Place your rear storage bin in upright orientation on the floor or bench to continue the next steps.
  4. With your pliers grip one of the long chrome rods and begin to wiggle it free. This rod is pressed in (not threaded) it will come out with a bit of effort but is not too difficult to pull out. See image below with rods circled in red.
  5. Slide the Milwaukee Tool PACKOUT Wall and Floor Mounting Plate into the rear storage bin at the rear where it will be mounted. Since the rear storage bin is tapered it will stop after only going down a few inches. Use the inner edge of the storage bin as a straight edge and draw your cutting lines onto the Milwaukee Tool PACKOUT Wall and Floor Mounting Plate. It is better to trim less than you need multiple times then to trim too much. See my pictures below (with yellow circles) for how much I trimmed from the mount. You can use this as a guide for what you will need to take off.
  6. Once you have trimmed enough from the four corners of the Milwaukee Tool PACKOUT Wall and Floor Mounting Plate and it is sitting flat in the bottom of the storage bin you can begin drilling holes to bolt it down. I have highlighted which holes to use in green in the picture below.
  7. After you have drilled the 8 holes, remove the Milwaukee Tool PACKOUT Wall and Floor Mounting Plate, and flip the rear storage bin upside down. You will now need to remove some material from the bottom side to allow for the washers and lock nuts to fit. See picture below with the blue circles. Not all holes will require material removal and it will be obvious which ones do. You just need enough room to get the washer and nut on the bolt as well as a socket on the nut to hold it during the next step.
  8. Reinsert the Milwaukee Tool PACKOUT Wall and Floor Mounting Plate, install the mounting hardware with one washer on top and one on the bottom.
  9. Reinstall the heat shield to the bottom of the rear storage bin
  10. Reinstall the rear storage bin back into your RZR
  11. Crack your well deserved beer 馃嵑

Photos:

Step 4 - Removal of chrome rods from Milwaukee Tool PACKOUT Wall and Floor Mounting Plate:
Automotive lighting Product Rectangle Automotive exterior Font

Step 5 - Areas to trim from Milwaukee Tool PACKOUT Wall and Floor Mounting Plate:
Product Gas Motor vehicle Machine Nut

Step 6 - Holes to drill in rear storage bin:
Product Gas Machine Auto part Fixture

Step 7 - Areas to trim on bottom of rear storage bin:
Automotive tire Wood Rectangle Gas Pattern

Final results:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Cloud Vehicle Automotive design

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Bonus tip, I found that Milwaukee offers one of their toolboxes with foam. This allows you to create custom cutouts for your more expensive or delicate items that need to be firmly supported. This could work for tools, camera gear, etc... and the toolbox also has a weatherproof sealing gasket. The Milwaukee Model # for this specific toolbox is: 48-22-8450

Tool Handheld power drill Red Bumper Rotary tool

In total the start to finish install took about 45 minutes. It is super simple and anyone could do this if they have the basic tools listed above! Any questions feel free to reach out.

Registered
2022 Pro XP
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I'm loving this setup. Having multiple Packout toolboxes allows me to grab exactly what I need and leave behind what I don't. Now I bring equipment based on the ride.

Registered
Two of my buddies did this, one is very good with tools, the other not so much, so seeing them both side by side is a bit of a riot. That made me just go with the metal one from L&W. The install took 3 minutes.

Premium Member
Did the exact same on mine! Need to figure out what cooler Im going to use. I hope an Ozark Trail 26 will work.

Reactions: 5alive

Registered
2022 Pro XP 4 Ultimate
Since buying our Pro XP a few months ago we've been on the hunt for a storage solution for the rear cargo area. I got tired of strapping down my Husky totes and having to remove the straps every time we wanted into the totes for a snack, recovery gear, or tools. I similarly have a hard time paying for a machine specific storage bin when I know I'll sell this rig and move onto the next one in a few years.

Through searching online for solutions I kept being drawn to the Milwaukee Packout system which worked with the custom CNC mounts some of the manufacturers are putting out. It was at this time I stumbled upon a post of another user who had started to modify Milwaukee's own mounting base. Unfortunately this user doesn't appear to be active so I couldn't get any further info on the mods they made and whether it was successful. So for the benefit of all I decided to sacrifice one of my Packout mounts and start drilling holes in my rear storage bin in hopes that I could come up with a solution that would be super cost effective and work for anyone else looking to go down this path.

To complete this you're going to need some very basic materials and tools which are all available at Home Depot.

Materials:
  1. Milwaukee Tool PACKOUT Wall and Floor Mounting Plate - These are about $41 CAD / $35 USD and available at Home Depot with free shipping or wherever else you buy your Milwaukee tools
  2. 8 x 1.5" 1/4 stainless head bolts
  3. 16 x 1/4 stainless washers
  4. 8 x 1/4 stainless lock nuts

Tools:
  1. Drill with 1/4" drill bit
  2. Two 7/16 sockets OR one 7/16 socket and one 7/16 wrench
  3. Circular saw OR Jig Saw OR Sawzall OR Hacksaw (a saw to cut the polymer mounting plate)
  4. Side cutters, or a router, or a nail heated with a torch (used to remove small material from the bottom side of rear storage bin)
  5. Torx T40 bit (removing the rear storage bin)
  6. 10mm socket (to remove bolts from heat shield on bottom of rear storage bin)
  7. Linesman pliers OR vice grips, or channel locks (to remove the long chrome rod from the Milwaukee Tool PACKOUT Wall and Floor Mounting Plate)

Steps to complete:
  1. Remove the rear storage bin from your Pro XP (there are four torx bolts at the rear of the storage bin)
  2. Turn your rear storage bin upside down and remove the three bolts holding the heat shield on. Set aside the heat shield and bolts for reinstall later.
  3. Place your rear storage bin in upright orientation on the floor or bench to continue the next steps.
  4. With your pliers grip one of the long chrome rods and begin to wiggle it free. This rod is pressed in (not threaded) it will come out with a bit of effort but is not too difficult to pull out. See image below with rods circled in red.
  5. Slide the Milwaukee Tool PACKOUT Wall and Floor Mounting Plate into the rear storage bin at the rear where it will be mounted. Since the rear storage bin is tapered it will stop after only going down a few inches. Use the inner edge of the storage bin as a straight edge and draw your cutting lines onto the Milwaukee Tool PACKOUT Wall and Floor Mounting Plate. It is better to trim less than you need multiple times then to trim too much. See my pictures below (with yellow circles) for how much I trimmed from the mount. You can use this as a guide for what you will need to take off.
  6. Once you have trimmed enough from the four corners of the Milwaukee Tool PACKOUT Wall and Floor Mounting Plate and it is sitting flat in the bottom of the storage bin you can begin drilling holes to bolt it down. I have highlighted which holes to use in green in the picture below.
  7. After you have drilled the 8 holes, remove the Milwaukee Tool PACKOUT Wall and Floor Mounting Plate, and flip the rear storage bin upside down. You will now need to remove some material from the bottom side to allow for the washers and lock nuts to fit. See picture below with the blue circles. Not all holes will require material removal and it will be obvious which ones do. You just need enough room to get the washer and nut on the bolt as well as a socket on the nut to hold it during the next step.
  8. Reinsert the Milwaukee Tool PACKOUT Wall and Floor Mounting Plate, install the mounting hardware with one washer on top and one on the bottom.
  9. Reinstall the heat shield to the bottom of the rear storage bin
  10. Reinstall the rear storage bin back into your RZR
  11. Crack your well deserved beer 馃嵑

Photos:

Step 4 - Removal of chrome rods from Milwaukee Tool PACKOUT Wall and Floor Mounting Plate:
View attachment 695218

Step 5 - Areas to trim from Milwaukee Tool PACKOUT Wall and Floor Mounting Plate:
View attachment 695216

Step 6 - Holes to drill in rear storage bin:
View attachment 695217

Step 7 - Areas to trim on bottom of rear storage bin:
View attachment 695219

Final results:
View attachment 695220

View attachment 695221

Bonus tip, I found that Milwaukee offers one of their toolboxes with foam. This allows you to create custom cutouts for your more expensive or delicate items that need to be firmly supported. This could work for tools, camera gear, etc... and the toolbox also has a weatherproof sealing gasket. The Milwaukee Model # for this specific toolbox is: 48-22-8450

View attachment 695222

In total the start to finish install took about 45 minutes. It is super simple and anyone could do this if they have the basic tools listed above! Any questions feel free to reach out.
I bought the A & UTV Pro front and rear boxes from Amazon for $520 but that was long before seeing your solution. I like what you did for a fraction of the price. Great instructions too! Your side hustle should be as a technical writer for every Chinese company selling their stuff on Amazon!

Registered
With the mount plate up against the wall will the packout still open when its mounted? That was my concern, I didn't have my box or cooler with me last weekend so I put the project off till this sat when I have everything at shop. My thoughts were to mount it off back wall like a 1/2in so I know the lid will open without rubbing.

Registered
2022 Pro XP
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With the mount plate up against the wall will the packout still open when its mounted? That was my concern, I didn't have my box or cooler with me last weekend so I put the project off till this sat when I have everything at shop. My thoughts were to mount it off back wall like a 1/2in so I know the lid will open without rubbing.
Yes the lids open no problem. In fact I use a large size about 11 inch tall on the bottom and its lid will open even with the shorter 6 inch tall mounted on top. Check the photos above for reference of how far towards the back my plate is mounted.

Registered
Yes the lids open no problem. In fact I use a large size about 11 inch tall on the bottom and its lid will open even with the shorter 6 inch tall mounted on top. Check the photos above for reference of how far towards the back my plate is mounted.
Sounds good. Figure out how to mount my mower now 馃ぃ
Wheel Tire Plant Automotive tire Sky

Registered
I knew I couldn鈥檛 be the only one who had done this!

I went with the XL toolbox thinking I might store my helmet in there among other things. If anyone is concerned with durability of this setup the toolbox survived a full week in Moab with a mix of high speed and slow/jarring trails. Very happy with the setup on that trip. Only down side I can say about the XL toolbox is that it does stick up a few inches into your rear view line of sight.

I also bought the Milwaukee cooler and mounted it sideways using the Milwaukee Compact Wall Mount (2 Rows). I had to chop the rear corners of the mount plate as well as take material off both lengthwise sides to get it to fit with the full size plate. I also had to remove the full size plate and cut about an inch off of the 鈥渞earward feet鈥 to fit the Compact mount in. Note - I had more issues with the thru bolts interacting with the aluminum bed rails on this rearward mount location than I did with the first mounting plate. The left most two bolts I bought were too long and were landing on top of the frame keeping me from being able to secure the bed fully. I will have to go get some shorter bolts.

overall pretty happy with the results, especially for the ~$60 I have invested in the two mounting plates and hardware.
Automotive tire Bumper Automotive design Gas Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle

Registered
Two of my buddies did this, one is very good with tools, the other not so much, so seeing them both side by side is a bit of a riot. That made me just go with the metal one from L&W. The install took 3 minutes.
Yes looking back buying one of these metal fab units would have been easier. The only place I found that was offering both the rear and forward mounting plates for the Pro though was Litt Industries, and it was going to cost over $300 just for the plates. Also some of the comments said it was finicky about the clip mounting tension as the thin gauge metal would buckle and affect the packout tension. I feel like despite these Milwaukee OEM plates being plastic they are very sturdy and thick and will take abuse. I was concerned that the thin looking metal on Litt and others might bend if stepped on/etc.

Registered
2022 RZR Pro XP4
Dang I wish I would have known about that little half wall mount when I did mine... Would have solved some issues I had with bolts hitting the aluminum rails... I actually drilled a hole in the rail to allow that top left bolt to stay, and you can see the two holes where I had to remove bolts that there was no way to make it work. But I figure it's still plenty strong for a cooler... Also, speaking of "a few inches" into your rearview...馃し馃ぃ
Motor vehicle Vehicle Picture frame Trunk Gas

Gas Automotive tire Composite material Machine Auto part

Registered
Dang I wish I would have known about that little half wall mount when I did mine... Would have solved some issues I had with bolts hitting the aluminum rails... I actually drilled a hole in the rail to allow that top left bolt to stay, and you can see the two holes where I had to remove bolts that there was no way to make it work. But I figure it's still plenty strong for a cooler... Also, speaking of "a few inches" into your rearview...馃し馃ぃ
View attachment 699219
View attachment 699216
I think I鈥檝e found my people lol. That鈥檚 awesome that you chopped up another full mount plate to make it work. The half mount just came out last week but they鈥檝e been advertising it. I have been waiting for it and mounted my cooler just like you have it atop the toolbox while waiting. I didn鈥檛 love having the extra weight up so high though I thought it might help to tear the whole assembly out over time acting as a lever arm. We鈥檝e got a lot of hardware holding them in though should be fine.

In that spirit, I鈥檒l see your Packout Tower and raise you:
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Registered
2022 RZR Pro XP4
Dang that's a a stack 馃ぃ.

The cooler mounted sideways down low is where we keep the drinks and ice. The one mounted up high and the small toolbox just carry stuff like snacks, lunch, camera, etc.
I also remove the upper two while trailering because while it's mounted strong imo, I don't think hours of 60mph wind pushing on them would do anything any good.
The great thing about the packout system is it's versatility. When we go on long rides it's packed like the photo. For shorter rides we often just bring one cooler and also leave the small toolbox next to it at home.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts