Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has done this and if they had any pointers, pictures or do’s and don’ts. I’ve got a 911fab cage with hood protection and the wife wants a windshield, so I know I’ll have to custom fit one, but I guess I’m wondering what did you use to start with?

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
EMP makes a kit. I have it on my TMW cage on my XP1K. No complaints.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pro armor windshield for the correct car so it fits the dash. Then, cut it all down to fit.
I don’t see how the pro armor would be able to be trimmed to fit? I looked it up and it’s like glass inside of a frame

EMP makes a kit. I have it on my TMW cage on my XP1K. No complaints.
That actually looks like it would be best with the mounting straps. Did you have any issues trimming it? What did you use to trim

·
Registered
836 Posts
Give me a day or two and I should get my cage back from the shop thats installing the glass.
Simply took my cage to work and welded in a “pinch weld” made from flat stock. Going with 1/4” glass like most new cars and glued in.
Then I just have to work out the bottom flap near the dash for an air vent.

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Give me a day or two and I should get my cage back from the shop thats installing the glass.
Simply took my cage to work and welded in a “pinch weld” made from flat stock. Going with 1/4” glass like most new cars and glued in.
Then I just have to work out the bottom flap near the dash for an air vent.

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net
Definitely send pictures, I am interested to see it. I think I would like it to be removable if I choose to do with out for a ride. I guess my two biggest concerns is how to mount it, or reuse stock mounts from a box item and how to cut it without fracturing it. I was told cut with a jig saw but wanted to make sure it won’t mangle it and make it a waste

·
Registered
551 Posts
When I did my knock down kit on my old 800S I made mine from scratch and impact resistant polycarbonate from Mcmaster Carr. The sheet I purchased was big enough where I made two, a full and a half for hot days. I used my old half as a template for the bottom so it fit the dash nice and snug.
https://www.mcmaster.com/polycarbonate

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am looking for a glass windshield for my Houser Cage. May have to make one. For a half I took my broken factory one to a glass shop and they can put the little deflector bend at the top and cut it using the pattern.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I am looking for a glass windshield for my Houser Cage. May have to make one. For a half I took my broken factory one to a glass shop and they can put the little deflector bend at the top and cut it using the pattern.

So the cage is back and installed on the machine. I too have a houser cage and like OP cage it has a bottom horizontal bar. Local glass shop guy has been in it for over 2 decades. Said its too easy to do. Only thing I added was to take black silicone from lowes “for windows and doors” lol and go around the edges of the glass to close the gap between the glass and cage.
Air flows well under the bottom horizontal bar, which Im yet to make a flap for given winter is going to be here fast. See if I can get a link in here.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/shares/nR2919

-Sarge-

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks good. So I think I’m going to get the scratch and impact resistant glass from McMasters. A 24”x48” 0.25 thick sheet is 158$ plus 19$ shipping, 13$ for UTV windshield mounting straps from amazon should put me around 200$ for the window. The black rubber stripping is a great idea. I was going to just get a strip of foam with sticky side to have press against the cage especially because I have a center intrusion bar. Not sure what would be best or maybe a combo of both? Idk

·
Registered
551 Posts
Looks good. So I think I’m going to get the scratch and impact resistant glass from McMasters. A 24”x48” 0.25 thick sheet is 158$ plus 19$ shipping, 13$ for UTV windshield mounting straps from amazon should put me around 200$ for the window. The black rubber stripping is a great idea. I was going to just get a strip of foam with sticky side to have press against the cage especially because I have a center intrusion bar. Not sure what would be best or maybe a combo of both? Idk
Shawn, before you order double check your measurements. Not sure how your going to make a full windshield from that size?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shawn, before you order double check your measurements. Not sure how your going to make a full windshield from that size?
40 inches wide, 18 inches from hood bars to light bar mount. So I am either gonna leave the space behind the lightbar open, or I can notch it out to touch the roof but I don’t think I’ll be notching for the hood protection. But you’re right. I should definitely remeasure to be safe

1 - 14 of 14 Posts