Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have heard of a lot of people getting hurt by hard winch lines and other hardware. I started using soft shackles and love the ease of use and the safety. Any one else using these?

·
Super Moderator
2015 S900
8,222 Posts
No, but considering I've only used it once to pull someone out of a snowbank in the 6 years it's been on my machine... I have read lots of warnings about dangers of winch cable malfunctions, so I bought one with a rope instead of a cable. But I have never met anyone who has had a cable/rope or shackle break, or been injured by one. I'm sure it happens, but where we get stuck it doesn't take 5,000 lbs of pull to get out...

Reactions: Goshe

·
GPS GURU
418 Posts
Been watching a lot of Matts off-road recovery and he now uses a “freedom winch line”. It’s a winch like with multiple soft shackle points built in and really looks like a nice noise free way to go

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, but considering I've only used it once to pull someone out of a snowbank in the 6 years it's been on my machine... I have read lots of warnings about dangers of winch cable malfunctions, so I bought one with a rope instead of a cable. But I have never met anyone who has had a cable/rope or shackle break, or been injured by one. I'm sure it happens, but where we get stuck it doesn't take 5,000 lbs of pull to get out...
I use a rope as well, I really like how easy they are to use being one piece as I would probably loose the pin in a hard shackle. I pulled a lot of people out in my group in Moab last year getting stuck in the sand and that was my first experience with them.

·
Registered
151 Posts
That freedom winch line looks super cool.
I’ll reach out and see if they’re planning on utv sizes.

I converted to synthetic long ago. I don’t use metal in any of my utv winching except recovery rings. Trucks still have some metal shackles in case of really bad day and need all the rigging.

Be sure to have plenty of abrasion sleeves to protect your rope from rocks, etc. one of synthetic ropes few disadvantages is its vulnerable to abrasion.

This reminds me I need relearn how to splice. Now that’s one thing you can’t do with steel cable.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I use and carry hard shackles and snatch blocks. Almost every winching incident I have seen is from someone doing something stupid which is usually just people being inexperienced.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I converted to synthetic long ago. I don’t use metal in any of my utv winching except recovery rings. Trucks still have some metal shackles in case of really bad day and need all the rigging.

Be sure to have plenty of abrasion sleeves to protect your rope from rocks, etc. one of synthetic ropes few disadvantages is its Vilma to abrasion.

This reminds me I need relearn how to splice. Now that’s one thing you can’t do with steel cable.
Same here. I watched a video and learned how to make a soft shackle and made one out of an good section of old rope
I use and carry hard shackles and snatch blocks. Almost every winching incident I have seen is from someone doing something stupid which is usually just people being inexperienced.
So true!

·
Premium Member
2021 PRO XP ULTIMATE, 2015 XP1000
730 Posts
Carry a couple with your tow strap even if don’t have a winch. They are a quick and easy way to connect for towing. Especially on the front of an XP. I made a couple of disposable ones just for this.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I use the fang soft shackles from www.CustomSplice.com. I also carry 2-50' winch line extensions in addition to a tree strap and 20' tow strap. I much prefer the soft shackles over screw pin clevis'. the soft shackles are much lighter and easier/quicker to use.

·
Registered
91 Posts

Be sure to have plenty of abrasion sleeves to protect your rope from rocks, etc. one of synthetic ropes few disadvantages is its Vilma to abrasion.

Check out Factor 55, they have a fast fid that I bought for splicing synthetic winch ropes.

Fast Fid (NEW) | Factor 55

It makes it simple and trouble free. I've also studied up on steel cable splices and it is doable, just need to know what you're doing and have a good pair of gloves (and good grip strength for manipulating the cable!)

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I use the fang soft shackles from www.CustomSplice.com. I also carry 2-50' winch line extensions in addition to a tree strap and 20' tow strap. I much prefer the soft shackles over screw pin clevis'. the soft shackles are much lighter and easier/quicker to use.
Thanks, another source. Have you ever used Speed Strap recovery straps, they are amazing.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I watched a guy using one in Moab. Pretty neat but he was hooking up with the other machine already committed on the obstacle. His comment to me was "hope he doesn't let off the brake while my fingers are in the strap!".

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
I love the Speedstraps ...light weight ...safe .... especially since I am not a recovery expert knowing the proper way to use shackles and such.

Reactions: Goshe

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I love the Speedstraps ...light weight ...safe .... especially since I am not a recovery expert knowing the proper way to use shackles and such.
I like the soft connection and adjustability, super easy.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Regarding the speed strap: it is non-kinetic.
In other words it is a “tow strap” not a “recovery strap”. If using vehicle momentum to recover another vehicle the rope must be kinetic ie designed to stretch.
Stuff breaks and people get hurt when non-kinetic straps are loaded abruptly.

I have a fast fid. It’s too big for the little winch line on all of my utv winches. Did they make a smaller one?

I’ve never made a soft shackle. It’s about time I learned especially since I use them on everything. Can’t remember the last time I used a bow shackle.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Regarding the speed strap: it is non-kinetic.
In other words it is a “tow strap” not a “recovery strap”. If using vehicle momentum to recover another vehicle the rope must be kinetic ie designed to stretch.
Stuff breaks and people get hurt when non-kinetic straps are loaded abruptly.

I have a fast fid. It’s too big for the little winch line on all of my utv winches. Did they make a smaller one?

I’ve never made a soft shackle. It’s about time I learned especially since I use them on everything. Can’t remember the last time I used a bow shackle.
Good to know, I just use it as a tow strap, I'll wench out over a kinetic method. Making the soft shackle was pretty easy thanks to you tube lol.

·
Registered
956 Posts
a question re; recovery rings with soft shackles.
one thing about synthetic rope is that they do not like excessive heat from friction. wouldn't the friction cause it to over heat in the area that the ring is attached too??

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yes, in theory. But practically speaking it’s a non issue. I mitigate the issue by using a sleeve on my soft shackle or use a fancy soft shackle with a protective layer like what you have pictured.

The rope at the fairlead and hot drum see far more heat.

I tend to go overkill with regards to the soft shackle size I use, especially if I buy cheap Amazon shackles (so I can have multiple in every car). 1/2” w supposed 40k break strength cost $10-12 ea. I like to use these for the recovery ring. In fact I tend to leave one in the ring all the time ready to go. Too cheap and light to not buy more than enough.

The other issue often overlooked are the other rigging straps and winch extension ropes. Your system is only as good as the weakest link. Make sure you don’t use your KERR (kinetic energy recovery rope) in your winching system.
Mark your KERR as such so no one grabs it when setting up rigging. Especially important when you’re stuck in the drivers seat and can’t over see the set up.

sorry for the long answer to your short question.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts