Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's a mind bender for the smart guys...

I have a RZR 4 and I run the 26" Big Horns all the way around it. When I go to the sand, I have two other rear wheels that I plan to bolt on that have paddles on them. Since the 26" Big Horn is an actual 27" tall tire and I run a 25.5" Doonz paddle on the rear, will that cause a problem for the transfer case or transmission? The way I look at it, the front and rear differential will be spinning at two different RPMs, thus forcing one of the two cases to differentiate? Anyone have any ideas whether or not this will cause a problem, I think it will...

·
Premium Member
22,920 Posts
since you asked me lol ... If you have a smaller tire in the rear and a bigger tire on the front when you engage the 4 wheel drive botton the rzr will think that the back tires are slipping all the time and cause the front to pull all the time ... its a trick the do on the snow tracks so the rzr is in 4 whell drive all the time bigger sprokets on the front

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
since you asked me lol ... If you have a smaller tire in the rear and a bigger tire on the front when you engage the 4 wheel drive botton the rzr will think that the back tires are slipping all the time and cause the front to pull all the time ... its a trick the do on the snow tracks so the rzr is in 4 whell drive all the time bigger sprokets on the front
Interesting...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my worthless 2 cents
Johnny, thanks for the replies. So your point is that whomever designed this track system designed the rear driver gear smaller on purpose so the car would stay in 4WD, thus making the track system more effective? I guess that proves the point that the driveline is not that picky.

I was eventually going to have another set of front wheels made, I just wanted to know if I would be causing any damage running different sizes in the meantime.

Thanks again.

If anyone else wants to chime in about this, have at it. I am all ears.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts