Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've got a LSR +4 and a Roktech lift.. Its always bugged me that even with the lift I've only got about 12 1/2" of clearance. It rides pretty stiff and the sag is about right on the suspension.. Well after taking a good look at it today. Best I can tell is all the lift does is move the mounts out and up.. So really it just increases your spring rate and reduces leverage. I removed the lift adjusted my preload on my AFCOs and sure enough I'm at about 12 1/4" clearance. So my lift was doing jack chit but change the angle of the shock. Now I understand with stock shocks and springs this might be a needed change and gives you lift.. But with aftermarket shocks and springs it just makes it ride stiffer. I don't need to increase my spring rates or reduce the leverage on my shocks. They are setup to handle it..

Now my question is.. Does anyone make a lift that just moves the shock mounts down some.. I don't want the shock straight up or laid further over for that matter. With the shock sitting in the stock angle it rides great. I just simply want to lift it up a little. I can go get a piece of plate and trace my current brackets out but move the new mounts lower at the stock angle.. But I figured I would see if there are any kits already like this? Any reason not to have a lift like this? I figure worse case if the mounts are moved to low the CVs could bind at full droop. I'm fine with getting limit straps if thats the case. I don't want to reduce the travel much though. So I wouldn't want it to drop to far. Best I can tell though, with my +4 I could easily go up a inch or two with out CV issues..
Any suggestions, idea's or links to kits would be great!

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So after looking online it looks like pretty much all the lifts just move the shock mounts out and up. Almost all of them are pretty much the exact same design they just look different. They all put the mounts in pretty much the same spot. Minus Rubberdown and High lifter. Who use blocks for each shock end.. Guess I might be stuck making something.
Again any reason not to keep the stock angle and just move the top mounts lower?

·
Badhabitsoffroad*****
50 Posts
If you Create more travel you will bind your cv that's the only thing I could see wrong with what you wanna do

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It really wouldn't be increasing the travel, It would just be moving my existing travel down. I'm not a suspension expert, But it almost seems like standing the shock up like lifts do would reduce the travel? There is a chance with the shock mounts lower that my CVs will bind at full droop. I'm ok with adding some straps if this is the case. With the front end comming off the ground so much they probably aren't a bad idea anyway.. Would probably take some abuse off the shocks..

·
Badhabitsoffroad*****
50 Posts
If you lower your top mounts it will increase the travel in the down direction and it will cause cv bind when going through deep ruts but straps will cure that

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Where are you measuring your clearance? In my case I have 14.5" at the rear hitch receiver. All I have on mine is a 2" highlifter kit and highlifter springs. Still running with the stock shocks, which need replacing. I did break one front CV recently but that was do to a severe overload on that axle. All my other axles and CV's are originals. 3800 miles.
Ken

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
you might try the old style lifts used on standard rzrs like rubberdown or super atv, these simply raise the shock mount from the bottom, they will cause the cv's to bind so then you would need limiter straps. lifts are ok, ive got the racertech 2'', which is a fales statement, as a true 2'' will bind the cvs on any rzr but you do get about 1.5'' which is the best you can do if you want to not have cv bind.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bottom of the rear skid below the hitch and bottom of my front skid. I could raise it up another inch or so if I just cranked up my preload. But my shocks are set to where they should be for best ride. I can mark my shock shafts and when I jack it up the shafts drop about 1 1/4" which I've always been told this is how you set your preload.. You want about 1 1/2" I upped mine just a little. I would like to get more ground clearance but also have the preload set correctly. I thought thats what lifts were for lol. But it seems they just increase the spring rate which just acts like more preload. AFCO shocks are like S shocks I can just crank the nut down and get as much preload as I want. Enough to bottom out the shock. But then it just rides like chit.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you might try the old style lifts used on standard rzrs like rubberdown or super atv, these simply raise the shock mount from the bottom, they will cause the cv's to bind so then you would need limiter straps. lifts are ok, ive got the racertech 2'', which is a fales statement, as a true 2'' will bind the cvs on any rzr but you do get about 1.5'' which is the best you can do if you want to not have cv bind.
Remeber though I have a LSR +4 Not stock 50" I'm pretty suce I could lift it an inch or two with out binding my CVs.. I had a rubberdown lift on it when it was stock.. It worked well and did like you say.. I moved the mounts with out changing the angle of the shock. Problem is the lift was made for Stock arms.. My LSR arms are pretty differen't. And those lift blocks won't work on the bottom mounts. Thats why I got the Roktech lift that mounts on the top. I didn't know it just moved the shock mounts up out though. I figured it lowered the mounts like the rubberdown lift did.

·
Badhabitsoffroad*****
50 Posts
Well what I would do is use a jack and see how far you can lower your a arm down until your cv starts to bind then measeaure how far you can lower your shock mount and the take a half inch off that and you should be good

·
Badhabitsoffroad*****
50 Posts
Remember to check the front cv with the wheels turned as well

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, That what I'm thinking. I'll jack up the RZR take the top shock mount loose and see how much I can drop it before the CVs bind. Just trying to get a little lift while I keep the correct preload!

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
last time i had my S apart the cv joints would begin to bind with about 1/2" droop past stock. You'll definitely have to put straps on it unless you want new joints soon.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I got around to getting some 3/16" flat bar wide enough to make my brackets. I got them done tonight, But I'm not going to be able to test them out for a couple of days.. Last week I decided to jack the RZR up to figure out where to move the shock mounts.. Found out that one of the bolts that holds the bearing carrier to the A-Arm has snapped right off on one end.. I'm amazed I didn't notice. Anyway long story short I'm waiting on some bolts, bushings and one Lug.

Here is a couple of pictures of the lift brackets. The dirty ones are the Roktech 3"lift. I think mine will do what I want. I moved the mounts out just a little and down. My CVs don't bind at full droop. I'll be glad to get the wheel back together so I can test out the new brackets.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mahaha, Well I finally got my bolt issue worked out today. Found out pretty much the only special bolts LSR sends wit their kits were the two bolts that broke.. Oh well after the stock bolts I ordered were two short I was able to get my hands on some Grade 10.9 bolts that are long enough. I also replaced all the rear bolts with grade 10.9s so maybe no more broken bolts!

Anyway, As fas as the lift goes I think its going to work pretty dern good. I took the RZR down the trail tonight with everything in stock location. Then I installed the lift and carried it back down the trail. After adjusting the preload a little to set the sag right I'm pretty happy. I went from 12 1/4 in the rear to 13 7/8. And 12 in the front to about 13 1/2. So I picked up about 1.5" and thats with the preload set correctly. So I have the right amount of sag. It rides much better then with the roktech lift and sits up over an inch taller so I'm happy. Also the CVs don't bind at all with fool droop.
Rear No lift

Rear With lift

Front No lift

Front with lift

1 - 16 of 16 Posts