Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I have been looking at used RZR,s and was wondering what some of the difference's between the RZR generations are?
Well, you got the young guys in their 20's that probably aren't old enough to be driving an RZR.

Then you got the guys in their 30's and 40's that are more into the speed and the jumping.

Then you got the old farts (like me) that maybe have a little extra cash to waste on a toy like this but really just don't want to get hurt anymore.

That explain it???

·
Registered
352 Posts
gen i has 4 screw,s that hold,s the hood on and one peice floor pans
gen 2 have a bolt on rear hitch and and 2 latch screw on the hood
gen 3 have a welded rear hitch
i am sure there are other thing,s to ,but that make.s it pretty simple

·
Mad Scientist
1,247 Posts
gen1's have hydroformed plastic they dont have a lip where the color meets the black rocker panels. other than two that i know of, their all red.
they have 2 piece floorboards, the cup holders come out. their flywheel is machined steel, their transmission shafts are steel the battery sits long ways, they have brass plugs and grommets to hold on the hood and the engine service cover.
old gen ones have a hole in the front center of the bed (later ones dont)
the front body is all one piece (no removable pan) they have softer springs,

gen 2's have injection moulded bodies in red or green, they have quarter turn fasteners for the hood and engine cover, they have steel transmission shafts they have cast flywheels they have the lip at the bottom of the body where it meets black, they have two piece floorboards with honeycomb in it. they also have a different skid plate. the battery sits longways (opposite of gen1's) and they have a better designed but smaller storage compartment under the seat

gen3's have a welded in hitch, their spring retainers are made of steel instead of aluminum, they have powdered metal transmission shafts, they have an improved cv joint in the rear outers (maybe the fronts too, not sure) they have a front air/mud/water blockoff kit. (some gen2's have it too) they have a lid on the storage compartment. they have a stiffer throttle spring and a new eccentric in the throttle body
they have a different gas pedal (all metal instead of plastic and metal)

09's have everything a gen3 has plus a different frame. the frame has 4 gussets and a crossbar up front in the rear there are two wing gussets, a boxing gusset on the front upwrights, and lips on the upper shock ears, their voltage regulator is up front instead of under the seat, they have a cutout in the floorboard under the gas pedal, they have a differnt muffler and more heat shielding, their bed plastic is missing some holes.
some have the rapid reaction clutch (after 8/31) instead of the roller secondary clutch..

that's what comes to mind as i remember it
but i liked the first answer better

·
RAISING HELL ON THE TRAIL
2,296 Posts
gen1's have hydroformed plastic they dont have a lip where the color meets the black rocker panels. other than two that i know of, their all red.
they have 2 piece floorboards, the cup holders come out. their flywheel is machined steel, their transmission shafts are steel the battery sits long ways, they have brass plugs and grommets to hold on the hood and the engine service cover.
old gen ones have a hole in the front center of the bed (later ones dont)
the front body is all one piece (no removable pan) they have softer springs,

gen 2's have injection moulded bodies in red or green, they have quarter turn fasteners for the hood and engine cover, they have steel transmission shafts they have cast flywheels they have the lip at the bottom of the body where it meets black, they have two piece floorboards with honeycomb in it. they also have a different skid plate. the battery sits longways (opposite of gen1's) and they have a better designed but smaller storage compartment under the seat

gen3's have a welded in hitch, their spring retainers are made of steel instead of aluminum, they have powdered metal transmission shafts, they have an improved cv joint in the rear outers (maybe the fronts too, not sure) they have a front air/mud/water blockoff kit. (some gen2's have it too) they have a lid on the storage compartment. they have a stiffer throttle spring and a new eccentric in the throttle body
they have a different gas pedal (all metal instead of plastic and metal)

09's have everything a gen3 has plus a different frame. the frame has 4 gussets and a crossbar up front in the rear there are two wing gussets, a boxing gusset on the front upwrights, and lips on the upper shock ears, their voltage regulator is up front instead of under the seat, they have a cutout in the floorboard under the gas pedal, they have a differnt muffler and more heat shielding, their bed plastic is missing some holes.
some have the rapid reaction clutch (after 8/31) instead of the roller secondary clutch..

that's what comes to mind as i remember it
but i liked the first answer better
"THE RZR GOD HAS SPOKEN ", LET THE GENERATIONS BE KNOWN, AND IT WAS GOOD!:rofl3:

·
Mad Scientist
1,247 Posts
Naah it's all good
I forgot 09s also have plastic side
nets and the side net frame is in
two pieces instead of one

There seems to be some big wiring harness
Changes too

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
...and last weeks big surprise that the 6-wire resistor pack has now been built into the transmission gear selector switch on 09's. This is good news for most folks since the old connector wasn't sealed and it laid down on the skid where it got muddy & corroded pretty quick. But it's bad news for the folks that wanted to do the mod for functional backup lights.

·
Mad Scientist
1,247 Posts
oh ya.. i forgot one.. 09's dont have backup lights ;)
you could wire into the selector switch

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
oh ya.. i forgot one.. 09's dont have backup lights ;)
you could wire into the selector switch
If the resistors are built in I think you'd risk frying the speedo if you messed with it. i haven't seen a schematic yet but I imagine there's now only 1 low-current signal wire running from the switch to the gauge.

·
Mad Scientist
1,247 Posts
the put it in different places, i dont remember the changeover dates.
my gen1 has it on the left frame rail at the back my 09 frame has it on the right front on an upwright, i've seen it on the right frame rail on other rzrs and a couple where i couldnt find it at all

·
Black Diamond Rifles
58 Posts
I belive i have the GEn 1, i ordered it when they first came out. It has the items Martymoe described. I was allways wondering what were the differences, now we are informed!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.