Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The sales guy said my rzr4 comes with a spanner wrench for the shocks but changed his story when i looked for it and could not find it.
Does polaris provide a spanner wrench to adjust the shocks?

Just want to check before i make the call.
So far i am not to happy with the BS the dealer has tried to feed me.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Yes. Mine was in a little black bag under the hood along with the rest of the tools that come with it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Don't feel too bad if you didn't get it, as the stock one is ******* useless! The handle is way too short for preloading the shock (although it will work to remove preload), and it's just a piece of flat metal, and when you use it, you are pushing against the thin edge, so it hurts your hand.

To adjust the preload, I would recommend:
- Jack up the Rzr to take the load off the suspension.
- Use shock absorber spring compressors to remove the spring pressure on the preload ring.
- Squirt copious amounts of lubricant (such as WD40) between the shock body and preload ring, and let is soak in a minute or two.
- Use a chain wrench around the preload ring to move it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yep, My 2010 RZR4 came with one.

H

·
0 Posts
Mine came with one...and what Moto said..it works fine just jack it up. I have used it without jacking in a pinch..I just wore a glove and grunted a little...no biggie.

I don't know why but there has always been an issue with the spanners on Polaris's...ATVs and UTVs...not sure if they are sending some out without them or if dealers are removing them for some reason. If they have to adjust the springs as part of set up then that is probably where they are going...tech can't find his spanner wrench gets the one out of the tool kit then when he's done throws it on the bench to get lost..
I've also been told that some dealers take them out on purpose...not sure why though..

H

·
0 Posts
yes and i broke it the first time i used it :(
I think the one that comes with the 4 is bigger and a little beefier than the one that comes with other machine...definitely larger all around than the one that comes with the ATVs. And with the jamb nut style spring adjuster it doesn't take as much force to turn as it does with the step type adjusters. As said getting the weight off the spring is the key to not having issues...can be done on the ground...but more chance of having problems.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mine came with one, but I haven't used it yet. Probably should've when I had 3 people and gear in my 4. Scraped the bottom a few times......

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
The spanner wrench is part of the tool kit and should also include a pair of pliers that make getting the plastic rivets out a alot easier. If you bought a new one and didn't find one go back to the dealer and complain about it. They can order the entire kit for you....

·
noob
499 Posts
I got one with mine and just used a short piece of cheater pipe on it, basically so that it was easier on the hands to use. Worked fine. I cranked the preload up on mine the entire way on the front, as some noted this will help to eliminate the "lawn dart" effect.

·
Registered
15,386 Posts
If you have a S or a 4 with Fox shocks you can use large channel locks to loosen the top lock ring on the shock, then use your hands to turn the spring. The spring will turn the preload nut.
like the others said, it will be easier if you jack up the RZR and take load off of the shocks.

H

·
0 Posts
I got one with mine and just used a short piece of cheater pipe on it, basically so that it was easier on the hands to use. Worked fine. I cranked the preload up on mine the entire way on the front, as some noted this will help to eliminate the "lawn dart" effect.
Get ready to break some sh!t if you canked them all the way up and ride anywhere but smooth roads...when the suspension compresses and spring coils bind(ie spring is fully compressed so each coil touches) it is like having a solid rod instead of a shock/spring..something will have to give..preload ajuster,shock mount..ect..bad juju

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I was thinking about this post last week.

I was in the process of putting my RZR 4 back together and I came up short two plastic rivets. I think it was Jeephreak who pointed out that the little kit also has some rivets in it!

Sure enough, I dug mine out and there they were! Now I don't have to wait for the bag of 'em I ordered from China!

Spanner, air pressure gauge...a bunch of stuff in there! :ride:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mine came with one and it definately works better if you jack the machine up, it is also very hard on the hand so i took a piece of 1 inch heater hose, lubed it up with WD 40 and heated the hose under hot water then stuck it in a vise and put out to slide it on. seems to work ok now.

·
noob
499 Posts
My buddies 2011 came with one, however the shocks are different between mine and his, and the spanner wrench BARELY works with his 2011 model.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts