Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first ride labor day weekend I ran 13 psi rears and 11 psi ft ( xp 900 bighorns) in the desert, it kind of hard and I didn't handle well in a side slide. So the next day (really night) I lowered the pressure 11 in the rears and 9.5 in the front, it road and handled great, but do to heavy rains the trails are really rocky and rough, I got a nice 3 inch sidewall slice in my bighorn tire, i was only going 30/35 mph. My question is was the 11/9.5 too low? I am planing on purchasing pitbull tires, what would be the ideal tire pressure for desert riding with these tires? And I am trying to decided do I purchase beadlocks rims so I can limp back home without the tire rolling of the rim, or should I carry a spare and keep my factory wheels.
:work1::work1::)

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Hey Jane,
I don't have any practical experience with the Pitbull tires, but if it was mine I'd run the pressure higher. What you have to remember is that there are trade-offs either way you go. Running low air pressure is great for slow driving, as it will give you a nice tire contact patch. On the downside, if you drive faster with low pressure you are liable to bottom the tire out on an obstacle and either get a pinch flat, or bend a wheel.

Higher pressure will give you a rougher ride, and less traction, but will protect the wheel and tire assembly better. I'd go for the higher pressure myself.

Now, in regards to a beadlock, there are certainly numerous benefits. If you were to get a flat the tire would stay locked to the wheel, making it possible to continue back to camp for a repair. On top of that you have the strenght benefits of a beadlock, and of course the cool styling.

If you decide that you'd like to get beadlocks we are offering a special where we will beadlock all four of your factory wheels with our scalloped style beadlock, in a polished or powder coated finish on the beadlock ring, and provide the return shipping back to you (inside the continental USA) for $599.95 total.

Bones

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
they realy covered the pros/cons well,still your choice, I'm a bit extreem, mostly 8 psi for the ride, and 2 spares along in the truck,riding buddies can always get. and a repare kit on the trail. have never needed either one, but knowing the risk I like the traction and ride. all of the choices above let you make an informed pick. smart of you to ask the question.
Frank

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for all your responses, we travel alone and far. I am trying to decide about carrying a spare, I figure the less weight the faster we can go. I like the feel and control when the tires are not rock hard. My concern is where to mount the spare so the xp has the same balance. I am a lucky girl, from my driveway I endless trails :)

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
there is lots of spare tire carriers to pick one,(good choice by the way IMO), the XP{not what I have) is very well set up to where the weight of a spare mounted in the bed or on the rear cage would make almost no difference, as a spare you could get one of the lightweight OEM tire/ wheel, lots of cheep takeoffs around. and you could always add the beadlocks for extra safety, wish I could ride from my house. LOL
Frank

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
My experience is with a good 8ply tire you wont need a spare. I blew out a side wall on my grims when i ran them unable to patch. So anyway started slow but 5 miles into ride pissed and started moving on 20-25 mph on a complete flat non beadlock offcamber rutted rocky hardpack never came off rim.

Carried spare with quickshot from pro armor which is a jack and carrier and carries accessories prior to this and just decided if im within 10-30 miles from trailer i just mcguyer my way out.
But if your going out in the middle of no where . i would carry a spare.
Look at the quickshot looks great and is a jack, lug wrench, spare holder, and accessory holder all in one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts