Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don’t care what type or what weight...not the purpose of this thread. I’m one of those people who likes to tinker and in between rides, probably go a little overboard. The query I’m making is that every time I change the front demand drive fluid, it is grey and cloudy. The rear trans fluid always looks nice... the front only holds a little bit (forgive me for not checking the manual) but why does it always seem in worse shape than the rear? Is it simply due to the difference in quantity? The most recent change, I put a clear plastic cup of demand drive fluid on the window sill in my garage and after 10 days it was still grey and cloudy but nothing “settled” on the bottom. I even put one of my “finder” magnets on the cup to see if it would attract anything. Again...I don’t mind being a little over the top with my toys, just curious if anyone else looks at this stuff. Last thing, I just installed the magnetic plug kit from Sandcraft...sweet addition no one should be without.

·
Registered
810 Posts
It's always dark whenever I have changed it and with every RZR I have owned and every other machine I have worked on.

The Polaris fluids and most ATF have EP additives that cause grey-staining. A straight tractor or hydraulic fluid won't exhibit the same same staining. It isn't a bad thing and isn't indicative of damage or anything going wrong. Just the way it is

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
4,685 Posts
Yeah, it's normal, just a byproduct of the fluid, service, and quantity. Changing it often is good practice, especially since the amount of fluid is so small, it's about 8.5 oz for reference.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
I change mine every 20 hours or sooner if I am running hard in the desert or dunes. It not only looks grey , but more black and the magnet always has sludge on it. I believe it is just the fact it is such a small amount of fluid and it breaks down quickly

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone, good to know this is normal. Totally agree on changing frequently given the small amount up front. I’ll do rear too...why not. Each trip is several hundred miles so it becomes part of the post-trip Cleanup and maintenance routine.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
The transmission oil in the back lasts a very long time ...you wont need to change that very often

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah...you are probably right, it looked same as it did coming out of the bottle. Maybe I’ll do the rear every other ride....thx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts