Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've spent the morning reading various threads on here regarding deep snow riding and am very surprised by the info. I don't see how a RZR with say 30x12x14 Dominators (or equivalent) at all corners on 14x8 beadlocks at low pressure (2-4psi) with a 2" lift and the shocks turned up a bit couldn't wheel in really deep snow like a Jeep or Toyota with big tires. A RZR is a quarter or less the weight of a fullsize rig with a nice smooth bottom so they should do equally well in my mind. My Jeep has portal axles and 42" tires and it is around 5K lbs and it works amazingly well in the deep snow. Am I missing something with the RZR or is it just that nobody has tried a combination like I've listed above?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I cannot speak from experience and i am interested to see how they roll in snow this winter but i do know that less weight is a bad thing. Jeeps will do better is the snow cause they are heavier and therefore get more tranction. I still feel like the rzr could handle 12-18" depending on the type of snow.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm looking forward to trying it out! With ATVs, it all depends on snow conditions, I imagine the RZR will be the same way. In a modest amount (1-2 feet) of lighter, powdery snow, tall, skinny tires and heavier weight could help you dig down to dirt and would probably do OK. In the right conditions, we ride ATVs on 5-10 feet of snow. Usually towards spring, after the snow has settled for a while. Tall, wlde, low pressure tires, with moderate grip, provide floation and can go anywhere. Light weight is good. Too aggressive a tire will dig in and bury you in these conditions.

I am concerned how the RZR will do with it's weight and 4x4 system. Polaris ATVs weight about 175 lbs more than anyone elses, and remind me of an old song...Like a Rock. They are the first to sink. With 1000 lbs of RZR...I'm hoping for the best, we'll see.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
A good short D-handle transfer (square nose) shovel such as those I found at Harbor Freight should be on board, two of 'em if you have a rider.

Not as sexy as a winch, but no problem anchoring them, and they do not have mechanical breakdowns, other than sore muscles.

:)

·
RZR Junky.....
2,718 Posts
Two years ago when it came a good snow here in NC I had snow coming over the half windshield into the floor boards. Deep snow drifts require more speed. The snow in NC may be different than northern states, buy my s did amazing in 2'+ snow. I blazed trails for the guys on 4 wheelers to follow.

·
Registered
209 Posts
You guys have me hoping for some snow this winter now , we might have had 8 to 10 inches total all last winter .

Sent from my iPhone using my thumbs !

·
6skinner
1,231 Posts
If its powder, you'll go through 3 feet no problem. When it starts to warm up and get sticky, you basically need tracks. We had 3-4 feet of sticky crap fall in 2 days here last year, nothing was going in that unless it had tracks. My brothers done to the tits brute force could rip through it, but it had about 50mph wheel speeds with 28" mud bugs and basically ripped across the top. I would get buried with my big horns with 1/4" studs and I couldn't even dig down to the frozen dirt to get traction.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I love riding in the snow! The only thing I do is lower the tire pressure too about 5-8psi (27"mudlites). It's also a good idea to bring more gas then usual.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If its powder, you'll go through 3 feet no problem. When it starts to warm up and get sticky, you basically need tracks. We had 3-4 feet of sticky crap fall in 2 days here last year, nothing was going in that unless it had tracks.
That's odd because with the Jeeps we generally go out more when it's warmer and things start to tack up - it packs better under the tires.

·
Registered
533 Posts
If it's a heavy wet, or drifted snow you aren't going to do very well in snow that's deeper than the skid plate. That is, it's just going to hi-center, and the tires will just dig out, and there you are!

·
Registered
244 Posts
I love riding in the snow! The only thing I do is lower the tire pressure too about 5-8psi (27"mudlites). It's also a good idea to bring more gas then usual.

Breaking in the new RZR - YouTube
Just curious, why do you run that much pressure in the snow? With the ATV, I would pull the valve stems and air all the way down, then put them back in. I'm planning the same with the RZR...unless I shouldn't ???

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just curious, why do you run that much pressure in the snow? With the ATV, I would pull the valve stems and air all the way down, then put them back in. I'm planning the same with the RZR...unless I shouldn't ???
I don't dont have beadlocks, I need a little tire perssure so I don't blow a bead.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My first trip in the rzr was in about 18" of fresh snow in the mountains, everybody got stuck a few times, mostly in drifts (worst way I can think of to break in an engine, but had a blast) but we went pretty much anywhere we wanted, even over a huge drift maybe 10' deep from earlier storms that the jeeps were too heavy to get over.

Talked my buddy into buying a rzr so we could head up the next weekend. But... by then the snow had drifted up more and melted and refroze on the top leaving a 3" crust, too thin for a rzr. turned into a winchfest, made it maybe a half mile from the truck, destroyed two winches, (save your money if you plan on buying a Polaris winch) nearly rolled one off the trail. Long story short, and then shorter, snow conditions make all the difference.

·
Registered
244 Posts
My first trip in the rzr was in about 18" of fresh snow in the mountains, everybody got stuck a few times, mostly in drifts (worst way I can think of to break in an engine, but had a blast) but we went pretty much anywhere we wanted, even over a huge drift maybe 10' deep from earlier storms that the jeeps were too heavy to get over.

Talked my buddy into buying a rzr so we could head up the next weekend. But... by then the snow had drifted up more and melted and refroze on the top leaving a 3" crust, too thin for a rzr. turned into a winchfest, made it maybe a half mile from the truck, destroyed two winches, (save your money if you plan on buying a Polaris winch) nearly rolled one off the trail. Long story short, and then shorter, snow conditions make all the difference.
Sure does, and it can change in a hurry! In mountains in the spring, when the snow is dense and heavy, it often is frozen and firm in the morning when it's cool. You can go nearly any place on an ATV, over several feet of snow. Watch out later in the day if it gets above freezing or the sun gets on the snow...it can be a real stuckfest. The snow gets rotten, you break through all the time. We try to go uphill in the morning and downhill in the afternoon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts