Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 XPT
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we made it to our next destination/adventure, South Dakota. After a long day on the road, some takeout pizzas and a few adult beverages, everyone called it quits and turned in
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Sky Plant Mountain Natural landscape Tree
early. I’m going to try documenting our journey along the way, as I have watched others do over the years.
Cloud Sky Tire Wheel Car

·
Registered
315 Posts
Keep us posted!!

The Black Hills are a great place to ride! We head down there a couple times a year and have a blast.

Where ya staying and planning on riding?

·
Premium Member
2020 XPT
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
We are about 5 miles south of Deadwood on 385. Today did not play out the way we thought it would, seeing as it was 93 degrees today. Just too darn hot/dusty. We scouted the spearfish canyon route, went to Sturgis and Deadwood. Did the mount Roosevelt loop, slow rolling but absolutely beautiful views!!!! Wife did some hill climbs for the first time (solo) and did a real nice job. Tomorrow, seeing as it is going to be even hotter, we will do the Needles Highway and Mt Rushmore. View attachment 681427

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2020 XPT
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well we missed the needle Highway, as everyone was beat and the heat took its toll on us. We diverted to the wilderness loop which was pretty cool. Have to say the Buffalo are pretty intimidation
Sky Plant Plant community Mountain Natural landscape
! Lost one of the canned hams on the final leg of the journey…and SD is one less white tail.
Plant Bull Working animal Natural material Grass
Bull Working animal Bison Grass Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I love South Dakota. In/near Deadwood was a sort of fake, touristy old west town back in the 70s. When I was a 15 year old kid, I travelled through there with my grandparents.

In one of the old buildings was a gun shop. I walked in and was looking at the revolvers under the glass. A dude all garbed up in cowboy garb comes in and stands beside me looking at the guns. He kept bumping into me and I kept saying, sorry, excuse me, etc. Finally he looks at the guy across the counter and tells him, "I think you need to give this young man a gun so we can go outside where I can teach him some manners."

I was like, WTH?? The dude behind the counter hands me a belt with a pistol in the holster and says, good luck kid.

At this point, I realize, this was something my grandpa set up. We walk out on the boardwalk, take our distance and draw. What hoot! Here's the pic my grandpa took:

Plant Fedora Fence Hat Tree

·
Premium Member
2020 XPT
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well it rained last night and Mother Nature took us from the low 90’s to the low 40’s in a matter of 12-14 hours. Hit Custer Peak and what a great loop that @SavageNFS shared with me prior to the trip. It’s was awesome…thank you again! It was 36 degrees at the top with 20-30 mile winds…a bit nerve racking for this flat lander . But the first ride in over 2k miles this summer that we didn’t have any dust, so it was “game time” for the group.
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Car
Land vehicle Vehicle Helmet Military camouflage Camouflage

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Me, 1978 at Mt Rushmore. Love that place.

View attachment 681551
Me wife and son went to Mount Rushmore and deadwood town in 2004 .Watched all the deadwood TV series me and Wife it was really good movie Series. Did you hike up to the graveyard ?Mount Moriah Cemetery on Mount Moriah in Deadwood, Lawrence County, South Dakota is the burial place of Wild Bill Hickok, Calamity Jane. What I can remember it was pretty far hike to get to the graveyard.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Me wife and son went to Mount Rushmore and deadwood town in 2004 .Watched all the deadwood TV series me and Wife it was really good movie Series. Did you hike up to the graveyard ?Mount Moriah Cemetery on Mount Moriah in Deadwood, Lawrence County, South Dakota is the burial place of Wild Bill Hickok, Calamity Jane. What I can remember it was pretty far hike to get to the graveyard.
It seems like we walked somewhere to look at someone's grave marker. Could have been Hickock's but it's been over 40 years ago so I can't recall exactly.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Well it rained last night and Mother Nature took us from the low 90’s to the low 40’s in a matter of 12-14 hours. Hit Custer Peak and what a great loop that @SavageNFS shared with me prior to the trip. It’s was awesome…thank you again! It was 36 degrees at the top with 20-30 mile winds…a bit nerve racking for this flat lander . But the first ride in over 2k miles this summer that we didn’t have any dust, so it was “game time” for the group. View attachment 681658 View attachment 681659
Brrrr...you look cold man!

·
Premium Member
2020 XPT
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was not cold at all…well ok maybe that’s a small lie! I still use my old army clothing but you know how it is, once your clothes get a bit wet it changes the game regardless of the temp. There were a few nudges and questions like “are there any short cuts back to the cabin”!

·
Premium Member
2020 XPT
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Another awesome day of riding today, went all the way to Cement Ridge in Wyoming. Got a bit lost on the way back as the trail we were on musta been hit recently by a storm so trees down everywhere. A fun adventure finding our way out.
Cloud Sky Wood Coastal and oceanic landforms Plant
Car Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle
Cloud Sky Plant Ecoregion Smile

1 - 20 of 23 Posts