Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

DDP 900 XP Clutch Kits

63K views 80 replies 27 participants last post by  Z_mac20 
#1 · (Edited)
DDP has been working hard on developing a kit for the 900 XP. I will say this is one of the better clutched machines acceleration wise coming from the factory. But with that in mind there are a lot of quirks about the clutching that are flat out annoying and make the machine a pain in the ass to drive. With that said we all know the slow speed drive ability of this machine and jerky take off flat out suck. Not to mention when loaded this machine is a belt burning beast. I have experienced first hand and have heard from numerous customers on the engine braking that kicks in so early it locks up the drive train and pitches the back end out from under the machine which makes for some serious wipe outs. This machine also had a hefty seventy to seventy five thousands belt to sheave clearance.

The DDP Clutch Kit will tighten up the belt to sheave clearance to twenty five to thirty thousands for wicked hole shots, less belt issues and more clutch ratio.

This set up grips the belt hard if your driving slow or fast, eliminating any belt issues.

The clutch engagement will be butter smooth with great low speed drive ability.

If your like most people with a heavy right foot, this set up will accelerate so hard it is bound to put a smile on anybody's face. We were even able to pull awesome acceleration runs up hill with two people in it.

DDP clutch Kit will come with a custom helix and spring for the secondary clutch. It will also come with spring and adjustable weights for the engine clutch.

Like all of the DDP clutch kits for the RZR this one will work for both stock and mod machines, with big tires, turbos, etc.

This kits will be ready to ship next week. If you would like to reserve your kit or have any questions feel free to give me a call at 763-228-4345.

Thanks Dale!

See less See more
#9 ·
well I got the clutch parts in a couple of weeks ago...tore it down to find the clutch puller i had would work...... had to order the clutch puller...it came in than pulled the clutch to find out I needed a clutch spring compressor..ordered that & the four screws for drive clutch...so maybe this weekend I will get it put in...That is if i don't need anything else...:rofl3::rofl3: So will post some info on my thoughts on it..ASAP

#11 ·
Finally got this clutch kit installed...It does have a very smooth engagement & pulls very hard thru out the whole RPM range!! best part is it don't lock up the rear tire's when engine braking! (I havent had it on the trails yet just playn around the yard) should get it out this weekend & will post up some more thought's on it..

G
#12 ·
Cool. I'd like to know the engagement RPM and Shiftout RPM if you happened to have noticed? Is the engine braking pretty much completely gone or just not as harsh? Mainly concerned about slow speeds, I like at least a little. Thanks

#23 ·
We are going to test chill720s xp on dirt tomorrow.. on pavement it spins the tires from a dead stop and no engine braking is so nice!!! i have not checked the rpms yet but HIGHOCTANE do i need the shift out to be as close to 8250 rpms??? and to you other guys i found out that you do not need to pull the primary clutch off the change the spring and the weights.. FYI, but you do have to have some type of spring compressor for the secondary.. im just glad we are friends with our dealer which is 4 miles down the road so i just walk in the back and go to work with THEIR tools!!!

G
#24 ·
Yes I would tune the shiftout to 8200 or so..assuming the stock tach is accurate. If you have something like a g-tech or Dynolicious it wouldn't hurt to compare runs to verify perdormance.
That is correct, I mentioned it before... To change the primary spring and weights you just need to remove the bolt and the cover. The secondary has to come off...no puller is needed usually..it is a non-tapered spline shaft. You do need a secondary spring compressor and a good pair of snap ring pliers..I made my own secondary spring compressor out of a lag bolt, nue, fender washers and old 3" hole saw( cut a hole in the side to access the snap ring and groumd the teeth off)

G
#33 ·
Depends on how long it takes to get to 8000..it probably can't jump straight to 8k because there a minimum ratio so to speak. With the belt all the way down in the primary and all the way to the top of the secondary the RPMs have to climb to the shift out rpm before the cluthes start shifting.

G
#37 ·
I'd love to do it but I'm the only stock XP out of the guys I know local...the others either have exhaust or big tires or both..I'll see if my dealer has a stock demo but I doubt it they usually deck them out with bumpers doors roof ect. Personally I am going to use my Dynolicious app and try to keep all the variables as close as possible. Laugh but I have been impressed how accurate it is for 0-60 and 1/8 mile times.

G
#39 · (Edited)
Just curious what are you seeing for engagement and shiftout out of the box

Heres the thing..new it would engage at about 1550-1600...now it engages at at about 1450 (if you ease into the throttle you feel it start grabbing), right off idle it starts grabbing.. The primary spring has weakened. Real nicey nice engagment..but not good for performance...and not only does the weakened spring affect engagement it affects shift rate..Shiftout RPM is good..it is about 8100-8200..problem is it doesn't hit shiftout RPM until about 50 mph now..I wish I would have paid more attention when it hit shiftout new..it think it got to 8000 faster..I know there is a min. ratio..but I cant imagine it is so tall that it can't hit 8100 until 50 mph?
I can tell performance has fell off a good bit recently and the lower engagement RPM tells me the primary spring going away is responsible...
Anyone out there with a low mile XP 900 can tell me it you nail it from a stop how fast you are going before you get to say 8000 RPM?
Lazypitbull what about with the DD set up? speed before it hits 8000?

#43 ·
i didnt know popo could read ! but they must have read some thing to change the tires back to big horns HINT HINT we all got screwed on those tires (itp900)
also my belt or clutch is getting soft too !????! feels like its not pulling as hard and not geting top end polaris WANTS 200 DOLLARS for a belt WOW . epi for 100

G
#47 · (Edited)
I got my DDP clutch kit today. Very nice little package. Love the adjustable weights, should be a little easier to work with than some others I've used when it comes time to make adjustments..no tiny screws to drop and loose, no o-rings.

I got the kit installed but couldn't really do much for testing today..just some easing and some pulls to maybe 40 mph...maybe 5 minutes worth.
Engagement is about 1850-1900, I like it, hopefully it won't fall much as the springs break in. The higher engagement just helps the engine be in a postion to make more power before it is loaded..at 1400-1500 stock engagment..the engine isn't making squat for power / torque. With an 1800-1900 engagement in low you are over 3000 by the time you get to moving good and this thing feels like I would creep up a wall without straining.
I'm thinking it's going to hit shift out quicker than it did stock..I was hitting 7800 RPMs by about 40 on the speedo..but I'll need to take it out for a full run to know far sure.
The high speed engine braking is MUCH better, doesn't feel like you are riding the brakes with your left foot every time you let out like it does stock..low speed there is still engine braking,but it isn't harsh... i need riding time on the trail to fully explore the engine braking.

I'll give more feed back once I am able to ride for more than 5 minutes lol..so far I like what I'm liking what I am seeing.

G
#49 ·
Overall I'm happy with it..I did lose a few MPH on the top speed but I never run that fast anyway unless I am testing 75 is plenty fast for me..
After adjusting the weights I've got it coming out of the hole much better than it did stock....0-60 in about 7.3 average..stock it takes 8+.. the helix makes the engine braking much more user friendly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.