Mine came with 2 tungstens installed at the heel..not 3
Yep, thats what was kinda hard to figure out about this. When I assembled everything the first time, I installed it and started the buggy. Everything looked good, primary was free spining, no issues. So I put the plastic clutch cover on and went for a spin around the block. I really didnt notice the clutch sticking while driving as I never slowed down enough. It wasnt until I got back to the house and tried to stop that I noticed that the clutch was not disengaging.
So I took the plastic clutch cover back off. It was obvious the clutch was not back to neutral as the belt was still tight. I gave the primary a good pull outward, wala the belt tension released. I never felt it move when I pulled it, so it had to be the slightest amount that was needed to disengage the tension on the belt. I started it up again, same as before, it would sit and free spin like normal in park. I then jacked it up and put it on stands and got in. I ran it up to about 30 mph (probably not the smartest idea on stands). Hit the brakes to stop it and same as before, the clutch would not disengage and I stalled the engine. So I knew at this point something was not allowing the moveable sheave to move all the way back to neutral after it have been compressed. I removed the primary and disassembled. This is when I noticed the small gouges in the spider from the weight retaining bolts on the heel of the flyweights. All three looked pretty much the same. So I removed one washer from each heel. This brought the weight retaining bolt in enough to clear the area that it had been hitting. I should have snapped a few pics to be able to explain this better. Reinstalled everything, and went for a spin. Everything worked perfectly.
My guess is that when I assembled it the first time I was able to tighten the primary cover bolts to pull the spider past this slight "stickage" point, this allowed the clutch to operate like normal just sittting. When I went to drive it, the clutch action pushed through his "stickage" the other way. And when I went to stop, the spring tension alone wasnt enough to bring the assembly back passed this "stickage" point, hence the belt stayed engaged. Like you, I wouldnt have thought this would have been possible unless I saw it with my own eyes.
I guess the silver lining about this project is that I now have alot better understanding of how the every piece of the clutch works.