Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally got to Drive the Streets in California Legally W/RZR....Its a first for me:)....My good friend came up here W/His Street legal RZR....We rode on the streets all around the Town of Mccloud California:ride:...We where Trying to find a Highway Patrol Officer:scared2:...just to see if everything was way-legal...As luck would have it....We did not see one...until we pulled into my drive-way...He was right in front of my place...As he saw us.. he looked and smiled at us:)...We left RZR in Drive-way..Hoping he would come and check out the 1st Street Legal RZR in California...but he paid no mind to us:)...So it did pass the leo test...A total of about 14 peace officers have seen it on the street and not one time has it been pulled over:)....Just Obey the Law...and you are Way-Good to Go:ride:

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sure looks like fun. Do you have any pictures of the Rzr, I'd be nice to see how it looks with street tires, mirrors, ect..
..Would have took more Video and Pic...effen camera battery went dead:rm_thumbdown:and I lost the charger...I will get some pics up of it next week:)

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Leo, did you say whether he had a full size plate? Or motorcycle plate?
Looked like a mc plate to me..but its worked so far for him...like i said he has been seen driving rzr on streets by abouts 14 leos...2 of them followed him..but did not pull him over..He drove right by the police station in Antioch Ca...and no trouble with them either....seems all good as long as you have a plate on back...he did not have plate on front..

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok Leo!
Need more info. Which plate did the
rzr have. I'm ready to get mine done.
Post info on how it was done.
Thanks Tim
Hi. Tim...what I will do is give you his phone #....let me ask him if thats ok 1st....You need mirrors and dot tires, turn signals, Horn, and that was about it...and about 5-6 hours of time with those really way-fast people at DMV:rofl3::rofl3:...if you got your rzr here in Cali..than Cali. emission sticker to..I dont no where thats at but prolly some-one on here does.....

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I had heard that to be legal in California there has to be a sticker stating the motor was designed for highway use and that the RZR does not have that. Probably a CARB requirement.

Would be real curious how your buddy got around that.

·
King of crash!
34,125 Posts
I had heard that to be legal in California there has to be a sticker stating the motor was designed for highway use and that the RZR does not have that. Probably a CARB requirement.

one word.....luck

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Ya Tim I dont know how he did it....may-be the DMV messed up or got it right..I would guess as broke as this state is....one would think this would help them fill there empty coffers...

·
Registered
2,389 Posts

Ya Tim I don't know how he did it....may-be the DMV messed up or got it right..I would guess as broke as this state is....one would think this would help them fill there empty coffers...
Your right about them wanting the money. But the people at CARB answer to no one. They derive their income from fines and fees.

California continues to pass silly ass laws that are driving business's away by the hundreds. They just figure they can tax the remaining people more to make up the difference.

Somehow your buddy found a loophole, maybe you can get him to post how he did it. Having a street legal RZR would be nice when riding in mountain areas where not all the trails are OK for ORVs.

Downside would be in Glamis a pass would be required same as the tow vehicle.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
the thing I'm most surprised about is the plastic half windshield. Definitely only a matter of time before he gets stopped for that
Why? If it has a MC plate all you need is eye protection not a windsheild.
I think some people get the wrong idea about why some of us want to get street legal. I don't want to ride down a highway or down town Huntington Beach, I want to ride from the parking lot to the trail head or from a camp ground to the trail. Last week we were riding the eastern Sierras out of Bishop, the GPS trail we loaded took us down this bad ass trail that ended on a tar road and pick up 1000 yds down the road. After some discussion we decided to ride down the tar road to pick up the trail. Well we got poped on the tar road, now mind you we are miles from anything on Fed land in a national forest. The fine would have been $175 if it had not been for some smooth talking. This it the reason I want to be street legal

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
My friend tagged his Rhino up in Sacramento. It was tagged for farm implement. He said it was easy to do. He went online and found a picture of a Rhino the same color as his with a plow and all the lights etc. on it and then saved/printed it. Took that to the DMV and said he uses it for his property which required him to cross streets (he has a lot of property). It worked and he got his tag. He said he would never try in in the city but in rural Sac it worked.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.