Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to pull the trigger on a MCX system for my S but have a couple questions and was hoping someone could help me out.
First off its a 03/03/10 build RZR S , 1st question is the factory driveline strong enough for a turbo or does a bunch of stuff have to be beefed up? 2nd Does MCX have a kit that actually works with the UMP can or is it a custom fab job on the customers end? 3rd question , is the factory crank strong enough for the turbo ? i will stay at factory rpm of 6500 . i am sure i have more questions to come but thats a start for me. lol. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
15,386 Posts
The stock drive train held up fine on my stage 1 MCX turbo kit.
The primary clutch might need maintenance more often, depending on where and how you drive it.
I only drive on sand, and climbing dunes at high rpm can get the clutch hot, so the buttons and bushings wear out faster.

You can use a UMP filter with the MCX kit. some people mount them in the bed, some put them under the bed. It is simple plumbing with rubber elbows and hose clamps.

The factory stock crank should work fine on a stage 1 kit with the stock rev limiter.
I had over 4600 miles on my stock crank at 11psi of boost.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for your help Tuk-Skin , thats the kind of answers i was hoping for lol. Is this kit reversable? lets say i wanted to put the rzr back to stock is it as simple as just uninstalling the components and pulling the head shim?

·
Registered
15,386 Posts
thanks for your help Tuk-Skin , thats the kind of answers i was hoping for lol. Is this kit reversable? lets say i wanted to put the rzr back to stock is it as simple as just uninstalling the components and pulling the head shim?
Ya, I don't see why not.
but after you have boost you will never go back to stock.
:ride:

One thing I would consider is forged low compression pistons. They used to be an expensive option, but I think you can get them for less than $300 now.

Check with Trey or Chris at MCX and see what options are available and what they cost.

·
Registered
880 Posts
We have close to 4500 miles between our 2 test mules 09 RZR's with our MCX air to water intercooled setup, 11lbs of boost 94rwhp and we have beat the snot out of these things. last weekend we spent 3hours in the lake spooling the turbo up nice and hot then skimmimg the lake and dunking it in they are as water proof as stock and will handle mud, rock, water and the best part is you would never know it was there from just looking.everything is hidden under the bed and nice and quiet for woods and trail ridding.

P.S theses are bone stock except for the turbo kit and the only part that have been replaced on both machines are 2 tie rod ends and a broken front hubs oh yea they where replaced before the turbo kits.

Attachments

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'm now down to purchasing an MCX kit for my S after following the turbo saga for over a year now. Cliff or Trey or Chris how much is the MCX data logger unit? How about the low comp pistons and the adjustable clutch kit.

Do the current kits get the inter cooler mounted up high?

Thanks again for the turbo build thread you did Cliff. I have read ALL 91 pages 3 times in the last few weeks. If anyone has not seen Cliff's thread, check it out.
http://www.rzrforums.net/forced-induction/9759-mcx-turbo-install-rzr-s.html

Any chance i can get the MCX install instructions for a 09 S Chris or Trey? Use to be on the MCX site but can't find them any longer. I would like to read through them and familiarize my self with them.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I am about to pull the trigger on a MCX system for my S but have a couple questions and was hoping someone could help me out.
First off its a 03/03/10 build RZR S , 1st question is the factory driveline strong enough for a turbo or does a bunch of stuff have to be beefed up?
Yes, the factory drivetrain is strong enough to handle the increased power. But, keep in mind that with more power, it's important to make sure you're not landing off jumps with the gas pinned. This is true for a stock machine, as well, but with more power being put to the ground, you're more likely to break something. Good driving skills, just like when stock, is even more important when you have more power. But, when you take that in consideration, the drivetrain will last a long time.
2nd Does MCX have a kit that actually works with the UMP can or is it a custom fab job on the customers end?
This has been answered below already, but I just wanted to point out one thing. UMP recommended that because of the airflow requirements of the turbo kit, he'd design us a big filter element. So, the UMP you buy from us is designed specifically for the turbo kits. You could use the normal RZR UMP kit if you'd like, but just keep in mind it's designed for a lot less cfm and you'll likely need to clean it a lot more often.
3rd question , is the factory crank strong enough for the turbo ? i will stay at factory rpm of 6500 . i am sure i have more questions to come but thats a start for me. lol. Thanks in advance.
Yep, just keep the kit within the recommended parameters, and you'll be good to go. Crank problems come about when you try to turn up the boost and/or turn up the rpms either separately or together at the same time. If you want to go more extreme, we offer the stage 2 and Stage 2 Big Bore kits that eliminate this problem along with many others that arise from pouring the boost and rpms to these motors.

Chris

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Yes, as Cliff mentioned, it's reversible if later on you'd like to take it off. Obviously, you'd have some holes in the plastic and one part of the swaybar crossmember that has been shaved off, but nothing else would be noticeable.

Chris

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
We have close to 4500 miles between our 2 test mules 09 RZR's with our MCX air to water intercooled setup, 11lbs of boost 94rwhp and we have beat the snot out of these things. last weekend we spent 3hours in the lake spooling the turbo up nice and hot then skimmimg the lake and dunking it in they are as water proof as stock and will handle mud, rock, water and the best part is you would never know it was there from just looking.everything is hidden under the bed and nice and quiet for woods and trail ridding.

P.S theses are bone stock except for the turbo kit and the only part that have been replaced on both machines are 2 tie rod ends and a broken front hubs oh yea they where replaced before the turbo kits.
We've partnered with Dave, and he beats the living crap out of his machines, to say the least. Here's a quick little video of us out riding together at Windrock in the rain...not the best video, but nevertheless some pretty good rock crawling in the rain.

Chris

P.S. Can you tell which ones have the MCX-USA/Dynolab Air-to-Water kits on them? Hint: There's two of them...identify the mufflers? :)

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I'm now down to purchasing an MCX kit for my S after following the turbo saga for over a year now. Cliff or Trey or Chris how much is the MCX data logger unit? How about the low comp pistons and the adjustable clutch kit.

Do the current kits get the inter cooler mounted up high?

Any chance i can get the MCX install instructions for a 09 S Chris or Trey? Use to be on the MCX site but can't find them any longer. I would like to read through them and familiarize my self with them.

Thanks
Our tuning display and data logger is $760, which may seem to steep to most of you. But, it includes the ability to log runs in real world conditions, download the logs to your computer, adjust the AFR's, and then upload and test them again within minutes. It includes a wide band O2 sensor, the software for your laptop, and it will display everything you need to monitor, if desired. But, keep in mind, this isn't a needed option for the Stage 1 kits, unless you plan on doing additional internal motor work, like a port and polished head and/or a cam. On a stock motor the fueling is present and you'll be good to go.

We can definitely add the low compression pistons to the standard kit if you'd like them, and the adjustable clutch kit we supply is required to put the power to the ground.

As far as instructions go, we don't send out electronic copies of our instructions for obvious reasons. The install is pretty straightforward, and you can expect to take 8-12 hours or if you're doing it yourself, I'd estimate planning a weekend of time to do the install, making your initial heat cycle runs, checking all your connections, and having us help you dial in the clutching perfectly. If you're having a shop install it, plan on $500-800 install charge from most dealers.

Chris

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lots of good reading , thanks all for posting. So does all the current kits available now include the high mount intercooler? I have the lock and ride rear box and want to keep the box . is there different part numbers for different kits? I just want to make sure i get the high mount . Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
The original design was mounted off the lower horizontal tube and the intercooler tubes came up through the bottom of the bed. The new design is mounted off the top horizontal bar and instead of the tubes coming up through the bed, they come up through the front vertical portion of the bed. This allows complete use of the bed space, so you can use the lock and ride box or any box for that matter that you want. There's no different part numbers...everyone gets the new design unless they want to place a special order for the original design.

Chris

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Any other issues i should know about? Any issue's with the shim sealing? Does the fuel box come preset for a specific elevation ? Is there any dyno tuning to set the fuel afterwards ? Sorry about all the questions i just want to make sure this kit will be the one for me and my banker (wife) lol.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.