Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some brands of ATVs when they stop and turn the key off the fan keeps running until cool enough to shut off. My RZR 800 2008 cooling fan if running when I stop shuts off when I turn the key off, sometimes I let it idle until the fan shuts off but it seems to me it should keep running even when ignition is off if it's needed . Do all RZR fans shut down with the ignition off? if so should it be left to idle until cool enough to shut down ?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Honestly, I doubt that it makes much difference. When the engine isn't running, water isn't circulating. For the most part you're only cooling the water in the radiator, not what is in the engine. The engine will continue to reject heat to the cooling system for a while after it's shut down, but it doesn't circulate. If I hear the fan running I try to let it idle till it cools enough to shut off before turning off the motor.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Honestly, I doubt that it makes much difference. When the engine isn't running, water isn't circulating. For the most part you're only cooling the water in the radiator, not what is in the engine. The engine will continue to reject heat to the cooling system for a while after it's shut down, but it doesn't circulate. If I hear the fan running I try to let it idle till it cools enough to shut off before turning off the motor.
Kind of what I thought, been letting it hit 194 and shut off before turning the key off ever since the breakout of the "hard to start when warm" thread.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hadn't really thought about that but it makes sense that your just cooling the water in the radiator and not the engine with the engine not running. Actually I don't think my fan will run if I stop and then turn the key back on , I have tried that before , guess the best thing is to idle some if you hear the fan running.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
DUH! :icon_thumleft: I guess ive never put any thought to it. You are correct.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts