Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cooling Fan Over Ride

I've seen the vendor kits advertised. Want to do my own.

Not because of cost but because...

I have an extra switch on my dash that I installed for later use.
Now I have that use.

Can I just take the hot lead off that switch and tap into the hot wire on my fan and fire the fan when ever I want?

Sounds to simple...
Is the fan switched positive or negative?
Will I backfeed the relay or ECU?
Is there a better way?

Thanks in advance for any replies

·
Premium Member
4,381 Posts
Once I finish the stuff I am doing now, I'm going to completely bypass the fan control that Polaris built. Check out Delta Current Control. I've been running one on my 410 Cleveland powered Mustang for a couple of years. These things are genius. They use a small temperature probe inserted into the fins on the outlet side of the radiator and control the fan speed isolated from anything the rest of the engine control system uses. When it starts to heat the coolant, the controller adds enough fan speed to maintain outlet temp up to full flow. Good news is it doesn't hit the electrical system with that big surge every time the fan comes on. Just slow and gradual increases up to what you need to maintain.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds like it'll be cool setup:) Pun intended...

But my fan relay in the fuse box crapped out on the trail and my fan wouldn't come on. New relay and it's fixed.

If it happens again I'd like to have a switched hot to fire the fan manually.
AND/OR Run my fan continiously through deep sand washes and the like.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Yes it is as simple as running a hot wire directly to the fan. I tapped into mine about 6" from the fan. I can manually switch it on anytime I want.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Brad,

That's sweet and simple, just what I'd like to do.

I've read every thread on here about this and could not seem to get to the answer I needed.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Yes it is that simple. I used a meter to figure out which wire was the hot wire and then used a wire tap(cant think of actual name) ran a hot wire from my after market fuse block into a switch and then from the switch to the fans hot wire. I use it before a big hill or before shutting down to cool it off so I don't have the hot start issue.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again,

I have an aftermarket Painless fuseblock installed. I run all my accesories off that. I have one extra 20amp fused switch on the dash. Gonna be EZ....

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't backfeeding power and scewing something up when I turn it on.

Wes

·
Quicksilver
1,030 Posts
Good to hear also.

I used to have a Rhintax. (Rhino + Rotax). Wiring it this way WOULD F things up. Man, that ECU was a PITA!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was wondering if you did the override with the switch and has it worked out? I have a RZR 800 I would like to do this to , but I was also worried about feed back

1 - 10 of 10 Posts