Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 800s that the cooling fan isn’t working properly on. When I bought it, the fan didn’t work and ended up finding the circuit breaker was bad. It’s been fine for awhile now but recently it decided to stop working again. I have an override switch installed and it works when using the switch. I replaced the circuit breaker on the off chance it was bad (didn’t fix it) I have unplugged the sensor and the fan doesn’t run like it should. When it reaches 205 I can hear and feel the fan relay kick on but the fan does not run.

Any ideas on things I should check next?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Try new thermostat and fan temp switch. They are right next to each other on engine behind passenger seat. Could also be a relay corroded or bad as well. The switch you installed could be interrupting the circuit. The fan should run with the temp switch unplugged.

·
Premium Member
1,903 Posts
The override switch runs the fan, so fan is good.
Relay actuates when temp reaches 205, so temp sensor - ECM - fan relay coil is working.

Check for 12 volts at BOTH studs on fan circuit breaker, with a test lamp.
Pull relay and make sure connector pins are not corroded.
Contacts in relay may be fried, try swapping fan relay with one of the other relays.
I am guessing override circuit is connected between relay and fan motor.
Check that connection and wire between relay and override connection.

Product Rectangle Font Line Material property

Rectangle Font Line Parallel Schematic

Reactions: EricB and Tim-ANC

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have power at both posts of the circuit breaker, I have cleaned the connector terminals at the fan relay, swapped the relay with fuel pump relay. As far as the override switch it is one of the plug and play deals you can buy anywhere. It was installed prior to me owning the sxs. I did unplug it and eliminate it from the circuit and still no change. Relay kicks on but no fan motor

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I have power at both posts of the circuit breaker, I have cleaned the connector terminals at the fan relay, swapped the relay with fuel pump relay. As far as the override switch it is one of the plug and play deals you can buy anywhere. It was installed prior to me owning the sxs. I did unplug it and eliminate it from the circuit and still no change. Relay kicks on but no fan motor
Maybe the thermostat is going bad not allowing the flow to activate the sensor. Good luck man. This is a tough one. Me I would replace the temp switch and thermostat.

·
Premium Member
1,903 Posts
Fuse panel, contact B7 should have 12v from circuit breaker.
Fuse panel contact A6 should have continuity with main harness plug for fan.

Rectangle Font Line Parallel Pattern

Product Rectangle Font Parallel Schematic

·
Premium Member
1,903 Posts
I have power at both posts of the circuit breaker.
However I do not have 12v at b7 whether above or below 205 degrees.
B7 is 12 volts, always on.
There must be a break in the wire between fuse block (B7) and the circuit breaker (back near battery).

I would take a close look at the wire and ring terminal that is bolted to stud on circuit breaker.
Then check harness that runs down fire wall and disappears between frame and floor, then pull floor pan to get to rest of harness.

Tire Automotive tire Bumper Bicycle part Carbon

Reactions: Tim-ANC

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Edit: found the wire between the circuit breaker and plug b7 was broken along the bottom frame rail. Repaired it and that fixed the problem. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Edit: found the wire between the circuit breaker and plug b7 was broken along the bottom frame rail. Repaired it and that fixed the problem. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.
Did you have to remove all of that wire tubing to find it or was it rubbing a hole on it? Curious cause my fan didn't kick on one time and I'm gonna be under there soon.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Just a note about moving that pesky circuit breaker from under the battery in the dirt to anywhere thats better.
And anywhere is better. (on 2009 it's up under the dash. On my 2011 under battery... come on Polaris) Anyway I moved mine about 1000 miles back no problems until today. The wires are always hot 12 volt and I didnt shield them.. they shorted to ground with plenty of melting. Don't think it hurt anything but will finish it up tomorrow and find out. . These extension wires must be in a protective loom.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts