Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently replaced the head gasket on my 2009 rzr s. I used the hpd modified gasket and followed the service manual exactly. I also installed one of the HPD t-stat bypass kit. I put it all together filled the oil and put in fresh coolant. I was only able to add about 1.5 qts of coolant before it filled up the filler neck and the overflow bottle was filled. I started the engine and let it run for about 2-3 mins. while watching my temp. gauge. It only go up to about 73 degrees and the instrument cluster started flashing hot and the cooling fan came on.
The questions i have are could it have been the fact that i put the radiator cap on when i started it and there was tons of air in the system that made the engine get hot, but not the coolant? The service manual says to leave the cap off, but i put it on not thinking about the air needing to escape. I also checked the oil after that and it was a milky color. Could this be from left over coolant in the engine case? Any ideas would be great. Is there a way to check the head gasket again to see if it is leaking? Presure test maybe? What would i look for? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
15,386 Posts
it sounds like the cooling system has air in it, to cause the engine to be hot while the coolant is cool.
Did you raise the front of the RZR and bleed the air at the thermostat like the service manual says?

If the oil is milky, you do have coolant in it. It might be from when you had the head off.
I would do an oil change, bleed the air out of the coolant, and check the oil again.
You might have to do a couple oil changes to get all the foamy coolant out of the case.

I hear that coolant is bad for the bearings, so I would change the oil right away.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking the same thing, but it is nice to hear a second opinion. I already drained and refilled the oil. The HPD t-stat bypass doesnt have the same bleeder but it does have a little pipe fitting for a temp senor i think. Does anyone know what temp. the instrument cluster starts flashing hot?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts