Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

Constat Velocity Prop Shaft Pro's and Con's

Tags
prop shaft
5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Blackrhinoerik 
#1 ·
First Post here for me - Been a Motocrosser most of my life and have made the switch to SXS.

I have been struggling with keeping the dang thing together - Broken Axles, Ball Joints, etc and I've been able to get that stuff sorted out where it will hold up... but I am struggling with the Prop Shaft. I gone thru two already - even with the Sandcraft Carrier bearing set-up.

I am looking hard at the SuperATV Prop Shafts and am considering the CV style, Being that I am a chain and sprocket kind of guy... I am looking for some assistance in making this choice over the standard U-joint.

1) Is it more reliable?
2) It it more efficient? (meaning it robs less power)
3) What kind of maintence is required
4) Is it easier on the differential?
5) Is there better options?
6) Whatever else should I know about the Pro's and Con's

Thanks for the sight in advance !

See less See more
Reactions: Max H
#3 ·
Ok - Done some digging and this is where I am at so far:

1) The effective maximum angle for U-joints is 3 degrees from most sources I have read - beyond that and issues begin to develop (Rotational Oscillation, Vibration & Binding begin to come into play) For sure - The angle on the RZR is greater than 3 degree's, so Polaris seems to have the drivetrain operating outside it's comfort zone.
2) The angle of operation should be the same at each end. The more difference, the greater the oscillation. (Oscillation is what I am calling what the shaft does as it rotates thru 360 degree's. The shaft rotation actually speeds up and slows down, which is a bad thing in a lot of ways.) I am going to say this looks to be 10 to 15 degree's, which is not good. Think of it this way - the shaft becomes a "Whip" driving the front differential thru the U-Joint causing it to speed up and slow down under load every rotation of the prop shaft. This is amplified thur to the driven wheels. There is no possible way for this design to be smooth and vibration free as designed by Polaris. (I am no Mechinal Engineer, so this is just how I see it being a good ole backyard farmboy) For sure once again - Polaris seems to have the drivetrain operating outside it's comfort zone.
3) If the Engine and differential could be adjusted - these angles could be balanced, however, this appears impossible to do without major modifications to the chassis design... if it is possible at all. Not only is the offset too great left to right, but the pitch is exceeded too.
4) Pushing or Pulling on the U-Joint is no issue strength wise as the chassis flexes that I see for the design, but will compound the angle problem if excessive slop or slide resistance on the splined shaft becomes excessive.

** So my conclusion is - U-Jointed Prop Shafts are comprimized from the start. Beefing them up, Properly Balancing and Phaseing them should help extend their life, but if you are pushing these things hard having fun when you ride - the U-Joints are going to fail over time and put added stress on the differential and other componets along the way to the driven wheel. Good racers may even feel this when pushing the edge for traction **

Looks like I am going to dig into CV-Jointed Prop Shafts and what pitfall's may like there.

#5 ·
I elected to go with the Rhino Driveline C Series Prop Shaft... That Carbon Fiber single Prop shaft is the Cat's Meow for sure... but man the $$$. Eric (Known as SuperATV) hooked me up and responded to my questions F-A-S-T. Thanks Eric !

This has been discussed in depth in this Thread I stumbled across... Dang - I wish I would have seen it first.

https://www.rzrforums.net/rzr-xp-1000/130011-xp-1000-owners-check-your-driveline.html

Reactions: SuperATV
#6 ·
The problem with ujoint shafts is the angles of the shaft cannot be balanced or equalized to provide a smooth vibration free shaft. Ujoints make the shaft speed up and slow down (vibration). CV joints are constant velocity joints to minimize the inherent problem with RZR transmission, carrier bearing, and diff angles.

RCV has proven CV prop shafts. PM Pro UTV Parts for Forum pricing on these shafts. We have several in stock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.