Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Public Lands Advocate
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weigh In to Encourage Your Members to Reject Omnibus Approach

As you may recall, last year Congress approved a massive omnibus public lands bill that cobbled more than 160 separate pieces of legislation into one massive bill. The bill permanently eliminated the potential for motorized recreation on more than two million acres of public lands that were designated as wilderness in nine states. In addition, the package added three new national park units, a new national monument, three new national conservation areas, more than 1,000 miles of national wild and scenic rivers and four new national trails. Also signed into law as a part of the omnibus package was the National Landscape Conservation System (NLCS) Act, which is currently being used to limit motorized access on Bureau of Land Management lands.

Now Congress is considering creating another public lands omnibus package. Key Members of Congress have indicated that they would like an omnibus this year and Interior Secretary Ken Salazar has made it clear that he would like Congress to move one as well.

It is important that you contact your Members of Congress and key Congressional leaders to let them know you oppose a new massive omnibus public lands law and that a repeat of the 2009 law will mean more restrictions to access.

Please click the TAKE ACTION link below to urge your Members and key Congressional leaders to oppose a massive omnibus bill in favor of ensuring that all public lands bills have hearings to allow for full local input.

https://secure3.convio.net/arra/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=241

·
Geezer with Joey
519 Posts
News Max thinks Obama’s Land Grab Is a ‘Bad Idea’

The Obama administration plans to have the federal government acquire millions of acres of private land even though it can’t afford to maintain the land it already owns.

H. Sterling Burnett, a senior fellow with the National Center for Policy Analysis (NCPA), points out that the federal government already owns about one-third of the land in the United States, and in some states it owns more than half. But millions of acres of government-owned land are lost to wildfires largely due to federal mismanagement.

The country’s national parks suffer from a $9 billion-plus backlog for repairs, maintenance and improvements, Burnett notes. “Our country was never meant to be a crown colony or federal estate, and in this economy, it hardly seems right to increase funding to the Land and Water Conservation Fund, which will be used to purchase private lands,” Burnett says.

Acquiring more land is a “bad idea,” and instead federal lands could be sold to the states, nonprofit groups or private companies, which could use them to generate revenue and help reduce the deficit, the NCPA suggests.

And rather than have the Land and Water Conservation Fund spend money to buy new lands, the federal government could use the funds to improve and maintain the lands it already owns.

Said Burnett: “This would be a win-win for the public, the environment, and the federal Treasury.”

This poster's thought is that it is nice to find ourselves "in sinc" with those non riding citizens seeking a smaller government, that spends less and doesn't want to take away our access.

·
Public Lands Advocate
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well said and mostly all well taken! Thanks for getting involved!!

The one thing I take major issue with is selling Federal Lands to non-profits and corporations since the anti-access crowd with their endless money stream loves this opportunity to land lock NFS and BLM lands!

The corporations are just in it to exploit all existing opportunities for the most part and again, usually to the detriment of our ACCESS!!!

·
Geezer with Joey
519 Posts
I anticipated that response and understand. I do think a non access opinion that the government shouldn't be buying, in an environment where , the country is broke , and not taking care of what they have , might help to sustain a point of view favorable to us. Many people would support that even though they have no special desire to support OHV access or even any access for that matter.

Just don't take over or buy more land when we and you can't afford it, and when you can't maintain what you have now.

Some times perhaps we could join the fight that might win even if we don't fight our fight. We don't want to fight we want to win.

·
Public Lands Advocate
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I anticipated that response and understand. I do think a non access opinion that the government shouldn't be buying, in an environment where , the country is broke , and not taking care of what they have , might help to sustain a point of view favorable to us. Many people would support that even though they have no special desire to support OHV access or even any access for that matter.

Just don't take over or buy more land when we and you can't afford it, and when you can't maintain what you have now.

Some times perhaps we could join the fight that might win even if we don't fight our fight. We don't want to fight we want to win.
Rick,

You are wise man and have obviously obtained that wisdom through the virtue of your years on earth and life experiences which I totally respect along with your time spent here on this forum!!!

I for one value your input, take on issues and thank you for sharing your wealth of knowledge with all of us . . . along with your continued access advocacy efforts!!!!!!!!

·
Geezer with Joey
519 Posts
Thanks ,but I'm just old, but like you want continued access. We will continue. I really think a lot of things I want are more important , but they relate. Like an honest smaller government. Like fiscal responsibility. Like representation not pre-determined agendas

·
Public Lands Advocate
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks ,but I'm just old, but like you want continued access. We will continue. I really think a lot of things I want are more important , but they relate. Like an honest smaller government. Like fiscal responsibility. Like representation not pre-determined agendas
We are ALL are getting older by the minute! It is our actions in the here and now that govern our place in the hereafter and the future of those who survive us!

I agree 100% with you Rick!

·
Geezer with Joey
519 Posts
5000 rally to "Takeback Utah"

SALT LAKE CITY — With blustery wind at their backs and hope in their eyes, thousands of Utahns cheered and whistled encouragement to a bevy of speakers who declared it is time to fight federal control over the state's public lands.

"The world is run by people who show up," Rep. Rob Bishop, R-Utah, told the crowd who turned out for Saturday's Take Back Utah Rally at the state Capitol.

The rally capped a parade down State Street that started earlier in the day, featuring all-terrain vehicles, cattle trucks and ordinary Utah residents angling for more access to the state's public lands.

"Colorado has already lost all its rights to lands," said Virginia Lynn Robertson, who with her husband, Lynn, ventured to Salt Lake City from Dolores, Colo., for Saturday's event.

"That's why we are here. We belong to an ATV club that has lost all its rights," Robertson said. "Thankfully, it isn't that bad in Utah yet."

But speakers including Rep. Mike Noel, R-Kanab, and Carbon County Commissioner John Jones warned that could easily change if people do not unite.

Google "take back Utah" to read more. I thought it was of interest what some are doing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts