Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, noob here.

I have a 2009 RZR S 800 and the owners manual says to use 0W-40. Am I able to use regular Mobil 1 0W-40 from Walmart? Also, would the mobil1 filter be ok instead of the Polaris filter? What oil would you guys recommend to use and is there an alternative for the front and rear gearcase? Or is Polaris ADF the way to go?

·
Registered
960 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hi, noob here.

I have a 2009 RZR S 800 and the owners manual says to use 0W-40. Am I able to use regular Mobil 1 0W-40 from Walmart? Also, would the mobil1 filter be ok instead of the Polaris filter? What oil would you guys recommend to use and is there an alternative for the front and rear gearcase? Or is Polaris ADF the way to go?
Mozart posted the best thread to answer your question. The 09 did use 0W40. I tried to use 0w40 in my 12 800 and the motor did not like it at all. I tried to use Rotella T6 and my motor did not like it either. Both oils I tried made my motor sputter and pop. I tested compression and it was perfect. I drained it out and put PS4 in there and boom motor ran flawlessly. Never ever has a machine rejected any oil before but mine did. So I'm not messing around anymore. Just gonna run polaris lubricants in everything except for rear diff. Any 80w90 gear oil will work. Anyone want to buy 3 quarts of Maxima 0w40 SxS specific oil. I will sell it really cheap. Make an offer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mozart posted the best thread to answer your question. The 09 did use 0W40. I tried to use 0w40 in my 12 800 and the motor did not like it at all. I tried to use Rotella T6 and my motor did not like it either. Both oils I tried made my motor sputter and pop. I tested compression and it was perfect. I drained it out and put PS4 in there and boom motor ran flawlessly. Never ever has a machine rejected any oil before but mine did. So I'm not messing around anymore. Just gonna run polaris lubricants in everything except for rear diff. Any 80w90 gear oil will work. Anyone want to buy 3 quarts of Maxima 0w40 SxS specific oil. I will sell it really cheap. Make an offer.
Thanks, man. You've been real helpful.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Thanks, man. You've been real helpful.
No problem man. I try to help people as much as i can cause i went through hell with my RZR. It was beat all to hell and nobody really would answer questions I had. This forum has some great info and members but I basically had to learn on my own. I have everything worked out now but it's been a ride. The 800 is a great machine but maintenance is key to keeping this model running.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
All I ever used in my 08 was mobile1 0W-40 with the mobile1 filter. It had right at 10,000 miles on it when I sold it. It continued to run strong for about a year after that until the guy totaled it. 😢

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
The motor oil made your engine sputter and pop? That doesn’t sound like an oil issue to me but I would be curious to know how a motor oil would cause that.

·
Registered
960 Posts
"The motor oil made you engine sputter and pop? "
highly unlikely
UNLESS...
the oil was sooo thin, it by-passed the rings like water and or bad oil rings
OR
it was soo saturated with fuel the blow-by was acting as the air/fuel source :)
either way, a larger problem than just a choice of "what oil to use"
rzrhle brings up a good point
gl

Reactions: rzrhle

·
Registered
582 Posts
"The motor oil made you engine sputter and pop? "
highly unlikely
UNLESS...
the oil was sooo thin, it by-passed the rings like water and or bad oil rings
OR
it was soo saturated with fuel the blow-by was acting as the air/fuel source :)
either way, a larger problem than just a choice of "what oil to use"
rzrhle brings up a good point
gl
I thought so too but both oils it sputtered and popped and shut me down. Like I said my 12 didn't like it. I checked compression and it was perfect in both cylinders. It doesn't burn a drop of oil at all nor do I gain any oil which would indicate fuel contamination. It was strange. I drained out the oil and put PS4 in and immediately ran perfect and purrs like a kitten. Not sure but it's the truth.

·
Registered
582 Posts

The motor oil made your engine sputter and pop? That doesn’t sound like an oil issue to me but I would be curious to know how a motor oil would cause that.
I thought the same. Which is why I did testing. I don't doubt my motor has some damage cause it ran like crap when I got it. I went through everything and my throttle body was so filthy it was like the guy soaked it in mud. I thought my top end was toast but it had power and great compression. Ended up being TPS and throttle body needed calibrated. I replaced T Map and idle air control valve when I was in there. All I know is 0w40 and 5w40 my RZR ran like dog crap yet instantly ran perfect with PS4. I might try amsoil 5w50 next time but I'll never put a 40 weight in there again.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts

I thought the same. Which is why I did testing. I don't doubt my motor has some damage cause it ran like crap when I got it. I went through everything and my throttle body was so filthy it was like the guy soaked it in mud. I thought my top end was toast but it had power and great compression. Ended up being TPS and throttle body needed calibrated. I replaced T Map and idle air control valve when I was in there. All I know is 0w40 and 5w40 my RZR ran like dog crap yet instantly ran perfect with PS4. I might try amsoil 5w50 next time but I'll never put a 40 weight in there again.
While it’s running good, I would be curious to put 0W-40 back in it again just to see if it ran bad. If it did make it run bad after running good, we would have more confidence in that the oil was the issue.

it’s just a hard pill for me to swallow that the motor oil ( at engineered specs) could be the cause of such engine symptoms. But I’m open to just about anything.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I understand you had a problem and you have it fixed now… so do what works, because lord knows I have my own superstitions that I don’t want to cross.

·
Registered
582 Posts
While it’s running good, I would be curious to put 0W-40 back in it again just to see if it ran bad. If it did make it run bad after running good, we would have more confidence in that the oil was the issue.

it’s just a hard pill for me to swallow that the motor oil ( at engineered specs) could be the cause of such engine symptoms. But I’m open to just about anything.
My 12 says to use 5w50 not 0w40. I tried maxima 0w40 and Rotella 5w40 because a lot of RZR 800 owners on these threads use it even on my year. Like I said could be some damage like oil rings are wearing but it doesn't burn or gain a drop. Lol I don't know. All I do know is my RZR doesn't like the 40 weight. I could drain it out and try it again but just did fresh oil change. I'm open to anything as well that's why I tried a different oil then PS4. My RZR said no to that. Maybe my RZR is like a beer snob that only drinks one brand lol.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Agreed, oil is not going to cause a misfire ;)
Well I disagree cause I experienced it. 2 40 weight oils did the same. I myth bustered the hell out of it. It could be rings or something else I don't doubt it but like I said it doesn't burn a drop or gain a drop. My baby wants PS4 she'll get PS4 I guess.

·
Super Moderator
6,362 Posts
Well I disagree cause I experienced it. 2 40 weight oils did the same. I myth bustered the hell out of it. It could be rings or something else I don't doubt it but like I said it doesn't burn a drop or gain a drop. My baby wants PS4 she'll get PS4 I guess.
You can disagree all you want but that does not make it true. ;)

·
Registered
582 Posts
You can disagree all you want but that does not make it true. ;)
Ok Mr. Super moderator. It is true and I tested it out twice. My machine won't run with 40 weight oil. You can be a prick all you want buddy but it's the truth. I wouldn't just make this up dude. I have 3 quarts left over to prove it I purchased 5.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts